SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Jan 13, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #331 of 1,170
SP200 review up live on headfonia.

I absolutely agree with this statement in that review:

"The SP200 is an absolutely transparent look into your music, your source material, and of absolute importance for Headfonia readers – your headphones themselves."

I would also add SP200 clearly reveals the sound signature of power cord, interconnect, headphone cable used. I have tried several expensive power cords laying around, but if one prefers well-lit, sparkling, lively signature, do try the thin stock power cord that ships with SP200 :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #332 of 1,170
With all due respect, that doesn't mean much - what do the words "body" and "weight" mean here?

A slight excess of audible harmonics

Jan 14, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #333 of 1,170
I've done so in my review

rhnp has some weight/body

sp200 does not

I agreed with your statement until I tried the Fostex TH-610's. What a combination! Really surprised me. But a nice revelation.

Now I am curious how my incoming HD600 will sound. I don't think it will be nearly as much fun.

Shane D

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #334 of 1,170
I know this amp is SE but I wonder if there is a volume difference between its SE and balanced inputs?

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #336 of 1,170

Does that mean the SE input get preamplified to match the balanced input like the Liquid Platinum amp or the balanced inputs are scaled down to match the SE inputs because the amp itself is SE topology?

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #337 of 1,170
Does that mean the SE input get preamplified to match the balanced input like the Liquid Platinum amp or the balanced inputs are scaled down to match the SE inputs because the amp itself is SE topology?
Sorry, I misread your an xD. Yes there will be a difference if you choose to use a DAC with fixed outputs, usually with the RCA at 2ishV, and xlr being double at 4ishV. So yes double the voltage should yield a 3db increase (double the volume)

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #338 of 1,170
I agreed with your statement until I tried the Fostex TH-610's. What a combination! Really surprised me. But a nice revelation.

Now I am curious how my incoming HD600 will sound. I don't think it will be nearly as much fun.

Shane D

I actually spend more time with HD 600 on SP 200 than I thought I would

To be honest open back headphones with rolled off bass like HD 600 and my K501 are nice on the RNHP how ever anything with extended bass sounds too thick and slow!!!!!! So while I think RNHP is an amazing product, it's maybe not the best value given it's limits and lack of "transparency," that said it's got a slight tube-esque timbre without the tubey imaging/sound stage so if anything it might compliment SP200 but wouldn't be a good replacement or upgrade to

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #339 of 1,170
My HD600's sounded great out of my 888. I went from 11 straight days of the Fostex to these. Definitely less bass, but I adjusted to the sound very quickly. The HD600 is very clear and crisp. It has no extra noise as I noticed with the Fostex sometimes. Since this amp is winning me over, I will really have to revisit the Grado's with it.

I just bought an audio switcher from Nobsound and can't wait to be able to change amps and headphones instantly. It will be very illuminating for me. And a lot of fun.:L3000:

Shane D

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #340 of 1,170
Hifiman Sansara's are sounding mighty fine on the SP200! I'm at the tightest setting on their metal headband though, which is 'just' about ok on my small head. I'm not sure whether to keep or return them, as they could conceivably lose more clamp with use, making them too loose.:worried: Seems a good match with this amp, anyhow, and amazing value in combo at current prices.

I actually spend more time with HD 600 on SP 200 than I thought I would

Just received new HD600's yesterday, as it happens. I had a quick listen out of the SP200 and first thing that drew my attention was that bass was more prominent than the HD600 reviews would suggest, which was a pleasant surprise!

That's one negative of the SP200. It appears good value but ends up costing a fortune :grin:

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #341 of 1,170
I got this as a quick replacement after my iFi Micro DSD BL. I'm currently using it with an Audient ID22 interface, which has a stellar, yet analytical DAC.

Coming from the iFi, the SP200 is an depressingly neutral amp, to the point that I find it...boring (keep in mind this is coupled with the HD660s).

But music isn't why I'm here.

This amp is a Gamers wet DREAM! I can hear everything with unbelievable clarity! it almost feels like I'm cheating with how well I'm picking up the faintest rustle in Escape From Tarkov, something I could never do previously! Even Rainbow Six Siege benefits from it's godlike separation and clarity. If you're into competitive games in anyway, you owe it to yourself to try this amp. Sounds stopped blending in with other noises, and are easily discernible, allowing you to excel at kicking ass :D.

Personal note: I'm 28, with low to moderate tinnitus.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #342 of 1,170
I got this as a quick replacement after my iFi Micro DSD BL. I'm currently using it with an Audient ID22 interface, which has a stellar, yet analytical DAC.

Coming from the iFi, the SP200 is an depressingly neutral amp, to the point that I find it...boring (keep in mind this is coupled with the HD660s).

But music isn't why I'm here.

This amp is a Gamers wet DREAM! I can hear everything with unbelievable clarity! it almost feels like I'm cheating with how well I'm picking up the faintest rustle in Escape From Tarkov, something I could never do previously! Even Rainbow Six Siege benefits from it's godlike separation and clarity. If you're into competitive games in anyway, you owe it to yourself to try this amp. Sounds stopped blending in with other noises, and are easily discernible, allowing you to excel at kicking ass :D.

Personal note: I'm 28, with low to moderate tinnitus.
I'm curious to know if you liked your ifi Micro BL more than the sp200 + Audient ID22 in sound quality

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #343 of 1,170
I'm curious to know if you liked your ifi Micro BL more than the sp200 + Audient ID22 in sound quality

The iFi made my entire music library come alive, the non muddy bass boost is godlike! Everything sounds amazing on that unit, which is why I'm going to send it in for repair soon, this way I can change amps based on my needs (gaming/music).

But it all depends on your taste, I love forward mids, emphasized bass, and sparkling treble. The iFi Delivers, the SP does not. I'd probably love the SP200 if I paired it with a Fostex TH-900 though, due to the already colored sound on those cans =).

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #344 of 1,170
The iFi made my entire music library come alive, the non muddy bass boost is godlike! Everything sounds amazing on that unit, which is why I'm going to send it in for repair soon, this way I can change amps based on my needs (gaming/music).

But it all depends on your taste, I love forward mids, emphasized bass, and sparkling treble. The iFi Delivers, the SP does not. I'd probably love the SP200 if I paired it with a Fostex TH-900 though, due to the already colored sound on those cans =).
Schiit Loki and some patience should do the trick for you

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #345 of 1,170

The TH-610's are a great combo with this amp.

Nobody does bass boost better than iFi.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back