SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Dec 25, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #301 of 1,170
Hello to everybody. New member here, I just ordered a sp200. I bought a Sabaj D3 amp/dac a couple of years ago and I was thinking to use it as a Dac for the sp200 until I decide which Dac to buy (balanced, unbalanced.....). As I am a noob I do not know if the fact that the D3 is also an amp will affect the sound quality that I will get from the sp200 as I must connect them via RCA's. I will use the amp with my dt990, 1more triple driver over ear and with a he4xx that should arrive soon.

Thanks in advance

David.

Dec 25, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #302 of 1,170
Hello to everybody. New member here, I just ordered a sp200. I bought a Sabaj D3 amp/dac a couple of years ago and I was thinking to use it as a Dac for the sp200 until I decide which Dac to buy (balanced, unbalanced.....). As I am a noob I do not know if the fact that the D3 is also an amp will affect the sound quality that I will get from the sp200 as I must connect them via RCA's. I will use the amp with my dt990, 1more triple driver over ear and with a he4xx that should arrive soon.

Thanks in advance

David.
The fact that the D3 is also an amp should have no bearing on using the D3 to feed a signal to the SP200- it should work just fine.

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #304 of 1,170
Just got the SP200 to try out of interest. This thing seems absurdly loud when connected to my RME-ADI 2 Dac. I.e., it's picking up all kinds of electro-magnetic frequencies both in my room and from my laptop. My RME alone is dead silent. I am connecting with RCA from the SMSL to my RME and then via USB to my laptop. I also tried both the Audioquest jitter USB thingy and the iSilencer dongle, both don't resolve this noise. Is this a known issue?

EDIT: it continues to make a noise even with the RME off but the SP200 on. Seems like some kind of dodgy build issue relating to RCA connection. I've tried to plug in as tightly as possible, but no difference. If any RME/SP200 users can tell me if they had this issue, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #305 of 1,170
Just got the SP200 to try out of interest. This thing seems absurdly loud when connected to my RME-ADI 2 Dac. I.e., it's picking up all kinds of electro-magnetic frequencies both in my room and from my laptop. My RME alone is dead silent. I am connecting with RCA from the SMSL to my RME and then via USB to my laptop. I also tried both the Audioquest jitter USB thingy and the iSilencer dongle, both don't resolve this noise. Is this a known issue?

EDIT: it continues to make a noise even with the RME off but the SP200 on. Seems like some kind of dodgy build issue relating to RCA connection. I've tried to plug in as tightly as possible, but no difference. If any RME/SP200 users can tell me if they had this issue, I'd be grateful. Thanks.
Seems like it's a ground loop issue. Try connecting with xlr

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #307 of 1,170
Edit - I was able to resolve the RCA issue through using my WM1A as a source rather than the USB on my laptop. The WM1A is dead silent with the SP200. So, there's obviously something between the RCA and the laptop's USB that is causing this issue.

First impressions of SP200 after an initial A/B with the Sony, it's ok. I don't think it adds anything to the RME in terms of detail and resolution. in fact I'd say it falls somewhere quite behind the RME. I will continue to see how it sounds.

Jan 3, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #308 of 1,170
Edit - I was able to resolve the RCA issue through using my WM1A as a source rather than the USB on my laptop. The WM1A is dead silent with the SP200. So, there's obviously something between the RCA and the laptop's USB that is causing this issue.

First impressions of SP200 after an initial A/B with the Sony, it's ok. I don't think it adds anything to the RME in terms of detail and resolution. in fact I'd say it falls somewhere quite behind the RME. I will continue to see how it sounds.
I find the RME's amp is very clean, but the SP200 has power, clarity and dynamics that are superior to the RME, IMO.

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #309 of 1,170
I found this comment on Amazon, can someone explain if this problem exists?

upload_2020-1-3_10-2-18.png

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #310 of 1,170
I find the RME's amp is very clean, but the SP200 has power, clarity and dynamics that are superior to the RME, IMO.
Hm, I hear it rather differently. Switching between the RME and SP200 underscores how punchy and dynamic the RME amp is. Again, I want to give time for the SP200 to open up, but right now it sounds too mid-focused and lacking the dynamic clarity of the RME. I can see it as a solid upgrade from a lower model Chinese DAC but maybe pairing with the RME is expendable.

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #312 of 1,170

Thanks in advance

David.

But the D3 also as the DAC to AMP via the RCA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back