SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Aug 14, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #842 of 1,170
Hi guys, new in the forum... I am not an audiophyle, but, I like listening to music very much... Recently I bought a Sennheiser HD660s... When connected to PC directly (msi carbon pro WiFi x570 motherboard, It is supposed to manage up to 600 ohms cans) the sound disappointed me... I got a fiio a5, the sound improved a bit, but, you know, I expected much more (I do not think headphones having any issue, but maybe...). Now, I am about to get this combo dx7pro(600€) + smsl sp200(260€) + mogami xlr cables (60-70€) to get some of the sound I guess these headphones could offer... I am also interested in D90 + A90 combo but doubled the budget vs dx7pro + smsl sp200, and I spent 400€ with the headphones, so, what you think guys?, I also was seing schiit stuff etc..., And maybe in the future I get some tube hybrid cheap stuff, as for instance Bravo Ocean to experiment a bit rolling valves... But what about dx7pro + smsl sp200 thx, could be a good combination for hd660s?... Does d90+a90 improvement really justify almost double price with those mid-high headphones?... Thanks a lot...

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #843 of 1,170
Hi guys, new in the forum... I am not an audiophyle, but, I like listening to music very much... Recently I bought a Sennheiser HD660s... When connected to PC directly (msi carbon pro WiFi x570 motherboard, It is supposed to manage up to 600 ohms cans) the sound disappointed me... I got a fiio a5, the sound improved a bit, but, you know, I expected much more (I do not think headphones having any issue, but maybe...). Now, I am about to get this combo dx7pro(600€) + smsl sp200(260€) + mogami xlr cables (60-70€) to get some of the sound I guess these headphones could offer... I am also interested in D90 + A90 combo but doubled the budget vs dx7pro + smsl sp200, and I spent 400€ with the headphones, so, what you think guys?, I also was seing schiit stuff etc..., And maybe in the future I get some tube hybrid cheap stuff, as for instance Bravo Ocean to experiment a bit rolling valves... But what about dx7pro + smsl sp200 thx, could be a good combination for hd660s?... Does d90+a90 improvement really justify almost double price with those mid-high headphones?... Thanks a lot...
Offftttt...sounds like you're on a slippery slope my friend, although you've started at a great place with the HD660s!

If money is no object, then sure, go the D90/A90 combo and be done! But if you're on a budget then maybe go the SP200 with the M200 DAC from SMSL, I believe @StarTreker may give you some impressions!

My advice for anyone starting out, would be, to have a good solid DAC/AMP that is within your budget and one that synergies with your headphones!

The HD660s are fairly neutral, so they will be more honest with your setup!

Schiit have great models and I've seen people happy aF with a Modi/Magni3 combo or if you want to try tubes, then the Vali 2 is a decent start! The only probably is the US dollar vs your currency!

Hope this helps and good luck!

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #844 of 1,170
Thank you very much @volly for responding so soon, I really appreciate your advice ... Initially the idea is to buy only the dx7pro, because from what I have read out there it seems a very balanced equipment at a good price. Maybe listening to the amp it brings itself is enough for me now... On a page in Spanish I saw a review where an smsl200 was connected to the dx7pro to "give it a little push" ...
https://gouforit.com/topping-dx7-pro-dac-amplificador-opinion-review/
I have read wonders about the d90 / a90 combo, but with mqa (I also don't know if the d90 mqa vs d90 is worth much) the price goes up a lot for an aspiring audiophile newbie as me ... does the d90 improve the sound so much compared to the dx7pro as a DAC?, I mean, dx7pro/a90 vs d90/a90, for instance, how do they sound in comparison (200€-300€ of difference give or take)?, does anyone have those combinations and could say what do you think? ...Someone has the combo dx7pro and a90 and could say how it works?...thanks

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #845 of 1,170
I love how you say your not an audiophile.

Guess what?

Too late! Your already an audiophile. :ksc75smile:

And like Volly said, you've already fallen down the rabbit hole, into the deliciousness of auditorial bliss perfection my friend.

I think your going to love your new setup! :L3000:

And by the time your setup is complete and cranked up, its gonna really whip that lama's ash.........From every direction. :deadhorse:

Aug 17, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #847 of 1,170
I've had SP200 here around 24-hours with HD800.

Its quite an accurate well-refined amp, everything is well controlled from top to bottom, plenty of power on low-gain to drive the HD800, no need to go past 9-10 o-clock on the volume dial. When using ASIO4ALL and adjusting the buffer size from Windows I can strangely alter the tonality of my dac/amp slightly with a lower buffer size being slightly brighter. Suits me...

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #848 of 1,170
I've had SP200 here around 24-hours with HD800.

Its quite an accurate well-refined amp, everything is well controlled from top to bottom, plenty of power on low-gain to drive the HD800, no need to go past 9-10 o-clock on the volume dial. When using ASIO4ALL and adjusting the buffer size from Windows I can strangely alter the tonality of my dac/amp slightly with a lower buffer size being slightly brighter. Suits me...
Pay attention to the High's and tell us what you think of how the Sp200 handles them, will be interesting to your thoughts!

Aug 18, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #849 of 1,170
Pay attention to the High's and tell us what you think of how the Sp200 handles them, will be interesting to your thoughts!

I'm familiar with HD800's touchy treble, SP200 keeps the highs quite refined and any peaks to a minimum, listened for couple of hours straight

I wouldn't call it a bright pairing for my preferences, its still pretty smooth and colourless. The last dac/amp I was using (Matrix M-stage) had touchy treble with HD800, it was also less refined but with some nice aggressive bite/detail. Not sure what your view on cables is but I'm only using some cheap eBay RCAs atm from the dac to amp, I'm waiting on a custom silver-plated cable to arrive.

I'm quite happy with the amp overall.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #850 of 1,170
I'm familiar with HD800's touchy treble, SP200 keeps the highs quite refined and any peaks to a minimum, listened for couple of hours straight

I wouldn't call it a bright pairing for my preferences, its still pretty smooth and colourless. The last dac/amp I was using (Matrix M-stage) had touchy treble with HD800, it was also less refined but with some nice aggressive bite/detail. Not sure what your view on cables is but I'm only using some cheap eBay RCAs atm from the dac to amp, I'm waiting on a custom silver-plated cable to arrive.

I'm quite happy with the amp overall.
Excellent, that's what I'm sensing from my Sp200, I was expecting bright and brittle treble, fake resolution from poorly designed amps, as you will! I was quite surprised how open and honest, yet exacting the sound is portrayed with this amp! I'll be ordering another Sp200 this week for my Theta DS Pro Prime II as my first Sp200 is just sensationl with the Progeny, only my Mjolnir comes close to synergising this well with this DAC!

Can you listen, next, to the sound stage or head stage, particular to the centre channel (especially on the HD800). I find my centre channel is huge and melds in to the left/right channels and is seamless when panning from left to right. Very holographic! See what you find!?

As for cables, you don't have to spend much but as long they are well put together, I have a few silver cables here and there and TBH, there isn't much to be gained here! Perhaps a little here or there but it's not really worth it! Especially with headphone listening!

this video might provide another's opinion on the subject! (Sorry for off-topic!)

Aug 18, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #851 of 1,170
My view on the subject, is its not so much what the metal is made of in regards to the conductor, its more about how much of it that there is. Going from 28-gauge AUX cables to 22-gauge AUX cables made enough of an impact, that I was able to hear more details in the sound. I used to use a cheap Ivanky cable, but now I am using a 22-gauge Canare Star Quad cable to connect my cans to the amp. Also, I use 22-gauge Monoprice RCA cables that link my DAC to the EQ box, and the EQ box to the AMP.

I don't think its a smart idea to go down the rabbit hole buying cables with silver, your just buying lengthy jewlery. And if you have people over who know about it, likely to get it stolen. There is no way in heck, that silver is going to make your cable any better. Silver is not even known to be the best conductor! Copper is a better conductor, and gold is known to be the best conductor. And unless your cable is completely 100% oxygen free, silver tends to corrode and get black.

Here are pics of the cables that I use in my setup...

11285950.jpg

11273038.jpg

Aug 18, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #852 of 1,170
Sorry guys, my DAC bricked last night doing a firmware update.

I'll check back in at a later date.

Aug 18, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #853 of 1,170

And that my friend, is why you fail...

All kidding aside, I don't do firmware updates for that very reason, you have a 90% chance of bricking your unit by doing so. Having said that however, if you followed the exact procedures as listed officially on their site, legally, they have to replace your unit under the warranty. If you were trying to jailbreak the device using an unofficial hack, your screwed.

Yes, please do update us on the results of your situation as it unfolds. And for those who might be curious, I never did a firmware update and mine still works.

But your not the only one who makes mistakes dude. I admit, I have a scooter that I once connected the battery up wrong on the polarity, the stupid connector that is supposed to not allow you to do that, allowed the pins to make contact, and I instantly blew the motor controller, and popped those caps like sweet Misties cherry. Had to order a new motor controller. It happens, I just hope your situation ends with a positive result in the end.

Aug 19, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #854 of 1,170

Damn brother, hope you sort it out! Do you have any spare DAC's are the place?

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #855 of 1,170
I purchased a cheap Matrix DAC/amp to get by but it's not the same.

Everything related to the SP200 amp is on hold for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back