SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Apr 6, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #527 of 1,174
After too much reading and research I just ordered this SMSL SP200 & Topping D50s. Sounds like some of you have had success with this pairing.

I was previously using Creative AE-5 soundcard before on my PC (mostly music but some gaming) and kind of sacked that off to use the FiiO BTR5 I bought for my FiiO FH7 in USB mode since so hopefully this will enhance my set up somewhat. Will currently be using AKG K712 Pro headphones but still looking into an upgrade to something up to the £1000 mark, not 100% sure what yet though.

Apr 7, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #529 of 1,174
It seems that this amp could be so much better if SMSL fixed the low / high gain switch and improved the looks / packaging. Make it slightly nicer and THX 789 ceases to exist

If you are a THX sound lover than this one does it pretty well. Unit to unit QC I believe has been an issue for some. I got lucky with mine. They all need a better volume pot though as they tend to get so loud so quick that if you have any sensitive headphones or IEM’s it’s not likely the amp to choose even on low gain. Or if you are unlucky and get one with more severe channel imbalance then it could be an issue as well. Overall for the price and the size it still fits many listeners needs. The improvements you spoke of would be very welcomed.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 7, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #530 of 1,174
I like this amp for what it is: flat, clean and neutral. It is not an amp that I would ever love but it certainly has it uses.

In my experience:
1) It cleans up the Fostex TH-610's very nicely. The Fostex's sound wonderful on it. The sloppiness cleans up and the bass sounds strong.

2) It works great with the Focal Elex's, if the music is super clean. It is a dream match up with jazz.

3) The Sundara's sound nice, if a little bright. Just one day of use.

4) The Senn HD58X's sound pretty good with this amp.

5) The Senn HD600's didn't sound great with it.

6) My beloved Grado GH2's sound horrible on it.

7) Beyer T5p.2's did not sound very good.

8) Meze 99 Classic's don't sound like anything special.

It's hard to make blanket statements, but I don't think bright headphones work well with amp.

On the flip side, if you have dark or messy headphones, these may really clean them up.

Not a favourite, but a necessary part of the system. :L3000:

Apr 10, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #534 of 1,174
I like this amp for what it is: flat, clean and neutral. It is not an amp that I would ever love but it certainly has it uses.

In my experience:
1) It cleans up the Fostex TH-610's very nicely. The Fostex's sound wonderful on it. The sloppiness cleans up and the bass sounds strong.

2) It works great with the Focal Elex's, if the music is super clean. It is a dream match up with jazz.

3) The Sundara's sound nice, if a little bright. Just one day of use.

4) The Senn HD58X's sound pretty good with this amp.

5) The Senn HD600's didn't sound great with it.

6) My beloved Grado GH2's sound horrible on it.

7) Beyer T5p.2's did not sound very good.

8) Meze 99 Classic's don't sound like anything special.

It's hard to make blanket statements, but I don't think bright headphones work well with amp.

On the flip side, if you have dark or messy headphones, these may really clean them up.

Not a favourite, but a necessary part of the system. :L3000:
I use it with both the audeze x and xc, and they sound incredible. The bass is lovely.

Apr 11, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #537 of 1,174
Hi everyone, my first post here. I am searching for a little upgrade to my aune s16 and hifiman x v2. I own more headphones yet finding a good match for hifiman is my goal. I can't afford to change everything right now and still want my equipment as compact and minimalistic as possible, and cheap :) I think that separating amp from DAC is the first thing to do. SMSL SP200 is on my list, but what do you think about pairing it with aune s16. AKM 4495 is rather a smooth sound I suppose. I want to make my hifiman sound more open, airy, more depth, more impact on bass, better low-end response, more detailed. But I still don't want them to sound dry, clinical, lifeless or harsh on the treble region. It's hard to describe. I want good details, airly, spacious sound but need to maintain smooth and warm, musical presentation. I found that hifiman with my aune is rather neutral-warmish, but needs more bass impact and quantity. Do you think paring it with SMSL sp200 is a good choice? I want to change DAC later, maybe for something more expensive.

Apr 11, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #538 of 1,174
Hi everyone, my first post here. I am searching for a little upgrade to my aune s16 and hifiman x v2. I own more headphones yet finding a good match for hifiman is my goal. I can't afford to change everything right now and still want my equipment as compact and minimalistic as possible, and cheap :) I think that separating amp from DAC is the first thing to do. SMSL SP200 is on my list, but what do you think about pairing it with aune s16. AKM 4495 is rather a smooth sound I suppose. I want to make my hifiman sound more open, airy, more depth, more impact on bass, better low-end response, more detailed. But I still don't want them to sound dry, clinical, lifeless or harsh on the treble region. It's hard to describe. I want good details, airly, spacious sound but need to maintain smooth and warm, musical presentation. I found that hifiman with my aune is rather neutral-warmish, but needs more bass impact and quantity. Do you think paring it with SMSL sp200 is a good choice? I want to change DAC later, maybe for something more expensive.

I haven’t paired the Smsl SP200THX with those headphones. I do have the Ananda’s however and they sound very good with the sp200THX. I will say though to your want “ I still don't want them to sound dry, clinical, lifeless or harsh on the treble region.” By nature I find this amp to be exacting, somewhat clinical, at times harsh in the treble region. It’s a THX amp so you are getting what the recording is offering with no harmonic distortion to smooth the treble or harsher areas of tracks. I think it is important to realize this when choosing this amp. For me it’s an amp to test headphones on and listen to a recording so I have a more neutral true to recording presentation. It’s is not always my go to music enjoyment amp. Essentially I can take it in small doses and generally I will adjust the settings of my DAC some when using it to make it a little more enjoyable to listen to.

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 11, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #539 of 1,174
I am enjoying the Sundara's and the Elex's on this amp. I have been A-B'ing against a Burson Fun amp with Classic opamps.

The SP200 is sounding a little more open and lively. And with good solid bass.

I have to say that this amp is starting to win me over. I sold two hybrid amps and have five amps left. Only two are standing out:
1) MAD Ear+ HD II tube amp.
And
2) SMSL SP200 solid state amp.

Both have VERY distinct sound signatures that are just about polar opposites. Nice pairing!:L3000:

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #540 of 1,174
I am enjoying the Sundara's and the Elex's on this amp. I have been A-B'ing against a Burson Fun amp with Classic opamps
[/QUO

Didn't you have a xDuoo TA-20 ? I know it is a hybrid, how did it compare to the SP-200 ? Just looking at the specs and knowing how other tube hybrids vs a solid states sounds, I would have guessed the ta-20 would have worked very well with the Sundara and Elex. What was your experience ? Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back