SMSL Sanskrit 24bit 192kHz USB DAC
May 20, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #136 of 156
See below pic, which shows the two micro USB ports on the back of the DAC.
In short, if possible, both ports should be used for best performance; one for data, the other for power. I think it would be a gross injustice to the designer(s) to assume that this DAC relies on USB power. I suspect the problem is down to communication issues and limited user guidance.
Purely out of interest, I first tried the DAC with only the PC connected to IN1/POWER via a cheap USB cable, so both power & data were provided from the PC using just one USB cable. The DAC worked in this configuration but the sound was congested, dull and uninspiring. I was expecting that outcome though, due to my pre-purchase research. Look on audiosciencereview.com and elsewhere for explanations of the recommended power connections. The unit has been designed to benefit from a separate power supply for optimal performance.
So, I just connected an old 2A micro-USB 'phone charger to the AUX POWER socket. The SQ improved significantly. If and when I have more time, I might try a better power supply but for now I am very happy with the performance.
IMO, although this is far from the last word in DAC performance, the sound to pound ratio is truly impressive....

Hi ! thank you very much indeed for your kind and very helpful reply. It is indeed a very interesting unit
Not to be nitpicky but i do not understand why they have decided for a usb port as dc socket. I like the chuncky ones more.
HTB1J31RoeuSBuNjSsziq6zq8pXaR.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

nothing that a little diy cannot cure :relieved:
Thanks a lot again
Kind regards, gino

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #137 of 156
Not to be nitpicky but i do not understand why they have decided for a usb port as dc socket. I like the chuncky ones.

gino, I can understand your preference. I'm sure we've all experienced poorly implemented Micro-USB ports and cables.

I'm not best placed to comment on this matter but I have read that some design engineers actually favour micro USB connectors for their durability, among other reasons. When implemented correctly they are not as fragile as one might think.

To quote Wikipedia: "Standard USB has a minimum rated lifetime of 1,500 cycles of insertion and removal, the mini-USB receptacle increases this to 5,000 cycles, and the newer Micro-USB and USB-C receptacles are both designed for a minimum rated lifetime of 10,000 cycles of insertion and removal."

Also, 'people' have been known to damage expensive kit by using barrel connectors similar to the ones you show. Accidentally connect the wrong power supply and suddenly the polarity is reversed. Bang! You won't do that with USB.

Companies such as Chord also use Micro-USB for power connections. I seem to remember reading somewhere about Rob Watts' defence of Micro-USB but I could be mistaken there.

I can assure you that the Micro-USB connectors on this DAC make a very tight, sturdy connection, almost (but not quite) to the point of being too tight. Personally, I have absolutely no issue with them.

Jul 14, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #139 of 156
Does Sanskrit 10th MkII save the volume position when the device is turned off and on again?
Just one more question:
Is it possible to play DSD256 files on SMSL Sanskrit 10th MkII with MacOS Catalina?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #140 of 156
The Sanskrit 10th MkII is a wonderful DAC. A step up on quality from something like the SABAJ DA3 (also very good still). Anyone who is wondering how much of a difference it could make, I'm way impressed nd now a believer in the quality a good DAC makes in the line. It really has pushed the earphones I've used it with to their best. In particular, Dunu DN2000, Final e4000, AKG N40 and a host of my other budget favourites are just showing me what they're really capable of doing. There's this opening of the sound that's hard to explain, but it's easily heard, not placebo. I'm even hearing some subtle vocal notes I've not heard before in favourite songs. That bit more natural timbre in strings and percussion. Musicality is wonderful, no sterile sound here. I partner it with the SMSL T2 TUBE AMP... great combo. I'll probably now look into a desktop amp around the same £100 mark, but no hurry as of now.

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #141 of 156
Just bought the mk2. Waiting it ships from China.

Saw a sound demo comparison between this and topping e30. The mk2 is far superior in staging, instruments placement and tonality.

Im in the camp of "sick" of sabre zing... So it took me awhile to research a good dac to try out. It seems like SMSL is the best choice at this price

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #142 of 156
My remote commander has died or Sanskrit does not response to their actions. Does anyone know if DAC can be adjusted manually? Can change filters and devices, but can’t set volume up or down…that is the most important for me…

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #146 of 156
Sep 14, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #147 of 156
Yeah, it's the only way to adjust volume, unfortunately. It would be nice if the next version of the Sanskrit would have buttons and would not rely only on a remote. Replacing the remote would be my next step.

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #149 of 156
Hi, I tried, as you said, with the double click in C…and it works! Thank you again, I didn’t know that way. Tired of pressing all buttons, I thougth I did it properly.
No need to buy a new one 😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back