SMSL M500 MKIII is available now!
Aug 9, 2022 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13
SMSL is mostly known for its great offerings, and recently, they announced a successor based on M500 MKII, called M500 MKIII, It's budget high-end of their line with a price tag of $529.99. This all-feature-improved desktop has its own unique sound performance compared to its predecessor. If you're curious about it, follow us!
2.jpg

M500 MKIII has the almost same design as the previous versions, it's not big to save an extra place for it on your desktop. The aluminum alloy CNC precision machined housing adopts anodizing technology and chamfering process, delivering a high-end appearance, and delicate touch. The front tempered glass panel, allowing you a higher light transmittance highlights simplicity and beauty.
4.jpg

As concerned as the configurations, it utilizes the flagship ES9038PRO decoding chip, with MQA and MQA-CD supported. You must be concerned with the difference between M500 MKII, MKIII combines with the brand new advanced SDAA architecture, uses 3rd generation processor XU316 for the transmission of various high-definition audio, gives 9pcs OPA1612A for OP-AMP, and features the latest Bluetooth chip to support LDAC, APTX/HD, SBC, and AAC. Furthermore, M500 MKIII brings a higher, better index and measurements, make no mistake this is a higher-class product that simply sounds wider, bolder, and better.

5.jpg

Meanwhile, It boasts an extremely low distortion, as low as 0.00006%, and supports DSD direct up to DSD512 and 32Bit/768kHz. Other than that, There’s a selection of 7 digital filters you can use for PCM signal, making the tone change a lot for different users' tastes. M500 MKIII is a built-in high-performance headphone amplifier, the all-around PLFC headphone amplifier circuit makes it possible to obtain more than 2W output power and less than 120 dB distortion when the headphone is placed in a 16Ω load!

23.jpg

In terms of upgrading firmware, it let users upgrade the firmware independently. Of course, the remote control is also provided, it's functional and responsive. You will find that M500 MKIII is a great product, If you're looking for an integrated and feature-rich desktop for your easy-operating high-end music, M500 MKIII would be definitely a choice!

未标题-1.jpg

M500 MKIII is available at our store, head over to access more details now! As always, any questions, suggestions, or comments are welcome. We really want to hear your feedback, that's how we're going to grow and provide good customer service to you guys.

ShenzhenAudio https://twitter.com/shenzhenaudio Stay updated on ShenzhenAudio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/shenzhenaudio/ https://twitter.com/shenzhenaudio https://shenzhenaudio.com/
Nov 25, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 13
Why don't you focus on less models, and make them with love, rather than so many?

Jan 6, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 13
Anyone yet owning it?
I got it some days ago and recognize some static like pop whenever a sample rate change occurs being fed by either USB or Coax, streaming from Tidal or Qobuz or Apple Music

Jan 6, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 13
what about a new sanskrit

Jan 6, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 13
what about a new sanskrit
Haven't investigated this but like the AKM chip I spotted - but who says this lower tier device is performing without such symptoms in comparison to the more expensive M500 III?

Jan 6, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #7 of 13
Haven't investigated this but like the AKM chip I spotted - but who says this lower tier device is performing without such symptoms in comparison to the more expensive M500 III?
The sanskrit seems to be tried and tested.
I personally, while not owning one, have never seen a complaint.

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 13
SMSL is mostly known for its great offerings, and recently, they announced a successor based on M500 MKII, called M500 MKIII, It's budget high-end of their line with a price tag of $529.99. This all-feature-improved desktop has its own unique sound performance compared to its predecessor. If you're curious about it, follow us!
2.jpg
M500 MKIII has the almost same design as the previous versions, it's not big to save an extra place for it on your desktop. The aluminum alloy CNC precision machined housing adopts anodizing technology and chamfering process, delivering a high-end appearance, and delicate touch. The front tempered glass panel, allowing you a higher light transmittance highlights simplicity and beauty.
4.jpg

As concerned as the configurations, it utilizes the flagship ES9038PRO decoding chip, with MQA and MQA-CD supported. You must be concerned with the difference between M500 MKII, MKIII combines with the brand new advanced SDAA architecture, uses 3rd generation processor XU316 for the transmission of various high-definition audio, gives 9pcs OPA1612A for OP-AMP, and features the latest Bluetooth chip to support LDAC, APTX/HD, SBC, and AAC. Furthermore, M500 MKIII brings a higher, better index and measurements, make no mistake this is a higher-class product that simply sounds wider, bolder, and better.

5.jpg

Meanwhile, It boasts an extremely low distortion, as low as 0.00006%, and supports DSD direct up to DSD512 and 32Bit/768kHz. Other than that, There’s a selection of 7 digital filters you can use for PCM signal, making the tone change a lot for different users' tastes. M500 MKIII is a built-in high-performance headphone amplifier, the all-around PLFC headphone amplifier circuit makes it possible to obtain more than 2W output power and less than 120 dB distortion when the headphone is placed in a 16Ω load!

23.jpg

In terms of upgrading firmware, it let users upgrade the firmware independently. Of course, the remote control is also provided, it's functional and responsive. You will find that M500 MKIII is a great product, If you're looking for an integrated and feature-rich desktop for your easy-operating high-end music, M500 MKIII would be definitely a choice!

未标题-1.jpg

M500 MKIII is available at our store, head over to access more details now! As always, any questions, suggestions, or comments are welcome. We really want to hear your feedback, that's how we're going to grow and provide good customer service to you guys.
Thanks for a thorough review!

My desktop setup is primarily my work/gaming laptop USB to Ifi Zen DAC V2 which feeds both my Hifiman Ananda, and an SMSL A300 that power my QAcoustics 3030i.
My secondary streaming setup is a Wiim Pro, Toslink to ifi XDSD that feeds the same SMSL A300 Amplifier.
(I just stream with Wiim Pro, in case my laptop is doing some heavy lifting)

GIven you've tested both the MKII and MKIII, will M500 MK2 be a major upgrade replacing both IFIs?
And will it be worth spending ~$100 more for the MKiii?

My use case is ~70% DAC (feeding my speaker setup), 30% Headphone Amp for Ananda

Mar 10, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #9 of 13
Hi. I use an rpi4 with a Moode audio player connected via a USB cable to a dac SMSL M500 mk3. I have such a problem that after some time of playback via USB it stops playing with the message "MPD error Failed to open audio output" and I have to select the USB input again with the remote control and it works for a while and so on. Do you know where the error could be?

Mar 11, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #10 of 13
looks beefy!!!

Apr 1, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #11 of 13
So, mine just didn't turn on today when I wanted to use it. No power outages, no damage. I got a whole year and two months out of it.
No technical support contact available on their website. None. Just driver and firmware downloads.

500 USD down the drain. I will be avoiding SMSL like the plague from now on.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #12 of 13
Another block in the house for testing.
I really wanted to see/listen to the SMSL 500MK3, it has everything I would like to have and nothing more I need.
Today I picked it up from the store to play with it all week.
It's new, straight out of the box it plays nice, but I hope it will rock a little more.
I'm just afraid because you can see in the theme there is no support when problems occur, so maybe it's better to listen and actually return it.
How in your guys something changed, replaced, repaired?

Apr 11, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #13 of 13
I'm currently keeping an SMSL M500-3 at home, and I'm very impressed with how this kit plays with my IEM. This is a product I would be willing to splurge on, as it meets all my expectations.
I previously enjoyed the K11, K7, DX5, K9Pro ESS. None impressed me as fully as the M500-3 just did.
I'm not saying that the earlier ones are bad , but there was always something missing in them for me in terms of technical operation( display, DSD512, remote control).
I am also coming to the conclusion that the sound I get from the M500-3 with my IEM is the fullest and gives me the most fun. This sound also has the best depth, three dimensionality, compared to the others.
These are just my impressions, after what I have heard.
What concerns I have , is the warranty, but I hope that if I take a chance it will serve me for a long time.
What I would like more in the development of the M500-3. even more stage in depth and width, more power. I am afraid that if in the future I buy better headphones such as HD800s it would be too weak.
I intend, if it works out, to check out some more Aune s9c, Fiio R9, K19, Tooping DX9.
These are already equipment that perform nicely on paper and in reviews I've seen on YT, just curious if I'll hear it and how much the principle of increasing costs, decreasing profits works here. Which I noted when comparing the K9Pro ESS vs M500-3.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back