SMSL M300 MK2 Owners Thread
May 2, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #16 of 54
M200 has been released and is also using AK4497EQ: https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...bit-768khz-dsd512-decoder-with-remote-control
I am also waiting to get my hands on M300MK2 or M200 but I want them to be stock in Europe...not sure which one I got for. I already ordered M300 MK2 once but received M300 MK1 which I returned... :frowning2: I didn´t like the display on M300 MK1, which was to bright when listening in a dark environment. Can you turn it off with MK2 or just dim it?

Also what do you expect from MQA? It is only a way to stream highres-audio with lower bitrate - so I don´t think it will sound better than FLAC with the same bitrate/bitdepth :wink:
The question is how close it gets, but technically it should never sound better. Also I don´t think the difference between software and hardware decoding (Tidal APP or DAC) should make a difference a human ear can distinguish.

May 2, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #21 of 54
Where are you seeing the M400 being priced at 800 ? I think it is supposed to come out in the 500 dollar price range.

M400.jpg

May 2, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #23 of 54
Buy new headphone or speaker instead. Dacs aren't gonna change much if you already have decent one. How is MQA btw ? Did you tried it ?

AK and ESS dacs do have a very slightly different sound and noise filters and such. And there is a limited number of headphones that i'd be interested in :L3000:

I do have MQA on the M500, DX220 and on a Zorloo Ztella dongle. It does bring a very slightly more clear or lifelike effect to the sound. BUT other features in dacs/amps are far, far more essential. It does not bring the sound quality of a dongle even close to the first two or the Zishan DSDs dap that I also have that has the AK chip in it. It also depends on the source material. I know at least one album that sounds clearly better to me in the non-MQA version. There's also not very many albums available and most of the music I'm interested in probably won't be.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #24 of 54
After further testing, I've discovered a couple of limitations using the Creative G6 as a virtualizer for the SMSL:

1) SPDIF-Out is limited to 48KHz, despite being noted as supporting 24/96.

2) The resampling it does for the SPDIF-Out is mediocre at best, and darkens the audio, and affects tonality.

So the G6 is removed from my audio-out chain. I am still using it for mic duties, because my PC case is to far from where I sit. Fortunately, Sonic Studio III works great for the SMSL, and does a better job on my DVD-A sources for headphones than SBX did. I need to use a Windows Spatial Audio app for games that do not support forcing 7.1. Fortunately I have licenses for both Dolby Access and DTS Headphone:X. :)

May 7, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #25 of 54
After further testing, I've discovered a couple of limitations using the Creative G6 as a virtualizer for the SMSL:

1) SPDIF-Out is limited to 48KHz, despite being noted as supporting 24/96.

2) The resampling it does for the SPDIF-Out is mediocre at best, and darkens the audio, and affects tonality.

So the G6 is removed from my audio-out chain. I am still using it for mic duties, because my PC case is to far from where I sit. Fortunately, Sonic Studio III works great for the SMSL, and does a better job on my DVD-A sources for headphones than SBX did. I need to use a Windows Spatial Audio app for games that do not support forcing 7.1. Fortunately I have licenses for both Dolby Access and DTS Headphone:X. :)

was just this moment contemplating whether to disable my sound card completely before plugging in the M300+SP200 stack. I kinda wanna try the whole maxed-out volume on the amp thing and controlling the signal on the DAC alone, but I'm scared of my soundcard taking over and just randomly blasting windows notifications at full high gain volume

May 7, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #30 of 54
anyone able to speak to the performance compared to the SU-8? Currently stuck between these two as a pairing for my thx 789

M300mk2 had much better measurements at ASR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back