SMSL D400EX & D400ES - Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #261 of 284
Just sold the M400.
The D400EX is significantly better-sounding overall [not to take anything away from the already very good M400, either].
That's good to know! Someone just bought the d400ex from me and had the m400 as well. Hope he thinks the same!

Jan 2, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #263 of 284
He should. The differences are not subtle.

BTW, I notice that you kept the Holo . . .
Care to elaborate?
: )
my purchases in order since last nov 22.....but i've already had the audiogd...

audiogd r2r-11 (loved r2r sound), then Topping a90d and d400ex, needed a streamer so I got Gustard a26, then thought I needed better amp and figured I'd go back to r2r so I went Holo bliss kte and spring 3 kte. Loved both d400ex and gustard a26 with gustard just barely edging it out because of lan input. Everything sounded better through LAN. Even tried ifi galvanic3.0 but I could still notice Lan sounding better. USB vs USB on gustard and d400ex was harder to distinguish and it could be placebo but i thought the Gustard was a tad bit better. All of this was a not so subtle improvement with purple fuse. Not to sure if my lavricable xlr's made a noticeable difference and they are already burned in....but those are more for the peace of mind i guess? hahaha

ps I forgot to add I prefer AKM over ess sabre dac by a big margin

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #264 of 284
Purple fuse you say? . . . mmmm . . .
I have come to prefer the AKM dacs, too.
Had the Audio-gd R11, too, but my associated equipment probably didn't match all that well at the time.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #265 of 284
Purple fuse you say? . . . mmmm . . .
I have come to prefer the AKM dacs, too.
Had the Audio-gd R11, too, but my associated equipment probably didn't match all that well at the time.
yea I had to check it out after seeing so many positive reactions/reviews....I too thought "What" would a fuse do....but it didn't hurt to try and I'm glad I DID!

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #269 of 284
Not sure. It is very difficult--at least for me--to get supplementary information about the D400EX.
Right now I am trying to get the fuse spec(s) so I can try an upgrade replacement.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #270 of 284
Not sure. It is very difficult--at least for me--to get supplementary information about the D400EX.
Right now I am trying to get the fuse spec(s) so I can try an upgrade replacement.
purple fuses always recommend 150 - 200 hrs burn in...but the last 3 I put in (dac, amp, tube amp) I could easily tell the difference about 30min 1hr into session....DAC was the biggest improvement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back