SMSL D400EX & D400ES - Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #241 of 284
Nov 21, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #242 of 284
Got a D400EX for sale bought last nov 2022 if anyone is interested...just been too lazy to post in classified

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #245 of 284
How would you compare the D400EX to the A26 (which I see in your signature)?
Its definitely a step up.... But a tiny step? If you have the right gear I'm sure the differences could be a wider margin but with what I have I would say it was a slight improvement overall. Around the same time I've upgraded my power cables and interconnects so I couldn't tell you what made the bigger difference but I can tell there is one. Main reason for switching to the Gustard A26 is for the network connection. Although it doesn't have bluetooth I can still route music from any streaming service or local file thru the network to the dac and control on my phone via mconnect or bubble upnp. If you plan on using HQPlayer, both the Gustard and the D400EX have DSD Direct. Just a piece of mind that DSD coming from HQPlayer is not being converted back to PCM before delivering it to you in DSD when using DSD Direct. For me, same goes with interconnect, powercords, fuses etc...I do hear differences but its also for piece of mind I'm getting the best that I can afford.

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #247 of 284
@suno23 thank you.
Wanted to ask about the efficacy of the iFi lan iSilencer, too.
I would be using it into my router (and streaming wirelessly).
To be honest, I've never really A/B tested after I installed it on my network switch. It's installed on the switch with a supra cat8 cable coming out of it and going into the dac network port. This was how I played my HQPlayer using the Gustard Renderer. But about a month ago I found a used iFi igalvanic3.0 (like how HOLO AUDIO implements galvanic isolation in their DAC USB section, but not as good obviously) and now I just go through USB most of the time unless I'm away from my desk and I'm using network with Iphone to control Qobuz or Hqplayer and sound out 2 channel speakers. I want to say the LAN still sounds better to me on this A26 but ever since the galvanic isoloation the USB isn't as bad as it was before. Still can tell LAN has a darker background. Question is, if I just took out the iFi lan iSilencer, would I hear a difference. TOO LAZY sorry! I hate a/b testing...once I know in my mind I heard the difference or in case of fuses what most people I respect in this space have heard, it becomes a piece of mind "swap" at the end of the day.

Nov 21, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #248 of 284
To be honest, I've never really A/B tested after I installed it on my network switch. It's installed on the switch with a supra cat8 cable coming out of it and going into the dac network port. This was how I played my HQPlayer using the Gustard Renderer. But about a month ago I found a used iFi igalvanic3.0 (like how HOLO AUDIO implements galvanic isolation in their DAC USB section, but not as good obviously) and now I just go through USB most of the time unless I'm away from my desk and I'm using network with Iphone to control Qobuz or Hqplayer and sound out 2 channel speakers. I want to say the LAN still sounds better to me on this A26 but ever since the galvanic isoloation the USB isn't as bad as it was before. Still can tell LAN has a darker background. Question is, if I just took out the iFi lan iSilencer, would I hear a difference. TOO LAZY sorry! I hate a/b testing...once I know in my mind I heard the difference or in case of fuses what most people I respect in this space have heard, it becomes a piece of mind "swap" at the end of the day.
forgot to add that from my research I've read people saying they heard a difference at the router and then they have another one on their switch which is getting data from a wifi mesh point
but then I watched some videos saying one is all you need YMMV and I'm too lazy to test... I just have one

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #250 of 284
Now that the D400 Pro has joined the party. I am very curious to hear if anyone has direct knowledge of comparing the pro, versus the EX, versus the ES.

I’m thinking/guessing the Pro will be closer to the EX and above the similar priced ES ?

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #251 of 284
I have a D400ES and want to try an AKM DAC .. should I purchase the older D400EX of the newer D400 Pro?
Or a different dac?

I already have a great streamer with AES and IIS output .. currently using both the D400ES and Ares 12th-1 …
I would like to try a different DAC with a bit move bass

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #252 of 284
I would say go for the D400 Pro, it will (supposedly) give you a AKM sound similar to the EX without having to spend more money and if you love the sound, then you can step up later to a higher level like the Gustard A26.......or.
Having said that, I have not personally heard the PRO so take this all with a grain of salt.
The SMSL line is a great way to get the AKM DAC sound at a good value. The Pro was on sale on Amazon during Black Friday for $526. Currently back to the normal selling price but Xmas is around the corner.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #253 of 284
I have a D400ES and want to try an AKM DAC .. should I purchase the older D400EX of the newer D400 Pro?
Or a different dac?

I already have a great streamer with AES and IIS output .. currently using both the D400ES and Ares 12th-1 …
I would try an used D70s, with 2x AKM4497 + linear power and OPA1612 supply, I like it more. Still waiting for 2x AKM + linear power supply from SMSL or Topping these days...only Gustard A26 has this set-up but I don´t need the build in streamer..

Dec 4, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #254 of 284
I would try an used D70s, with 2x AKM4497 + linear power and OPA1612 supply, I like it more. Still waiting for 2x AKM + linear power supply from SMSL or Topping these days...only Gustard A26 has this set-up but I don´t need the build in streamer..
You "like it more" [i.e. the D70s] than the D400EX, based on your head-to-head comparison?

Dec 12, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #255 of 284
Or a different dac?

I used SMSL D400EX and now SMSL D400 PRO, the sound is almost the same and does not differ.Apparently, two chips are not needed for the AKM DAC to improve the sound.
The SMSL D400 PRO also has a chic design and a thicker metal panel with a large informative display.It is also important the price. SMSL D400EX&SMSL D400 PRO both dacs are gorgeous!!!SMSL D400 PRO

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back