SMSL D400EX & D400ES - Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #272 of 284
Which Purple Fuse do I need for the D400EX?
tried to look for specs but couldn't find. I've never tried replacing the fuse in this DAC before and by the looks of it youll have to open it up to do that. Usually theres a fuse right by the power cord plug that you can change. Also, fuse direction MATTERS!

Jan 14, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #276 of 284
I recently picked up a DL300. Aside from having headphone outs and lacking AES, it seems to be the exact same specs as the D400 Pro. I’m curious to know if anyone can confirm this. I love the sound, but am wondering if the standalone DAC D400 Pro will offer better output performance/quality for the higher price tag. Does anyone know?

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #277 of 284
I recently picked up a DL300. Aside from having headphone outs and lacking AES, it seems to be the exact same specs as the D400 Pro. I’m curious to know if anyone can confirm this. I love the sound, but am wondering if the standalone DAC D400 Pro will offer better output performance/quality for the higher price tag. Does anyone know?
The D400 Pro has separate power supply for the digital and analog parts.Two power supplies.The DL 300 is a budget schematic with one power supply unit.

Jan 22, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #279 of 284
You must unscrew the top cover and remove the fuse, which is mounted to the circuit board(!) Another not-too-bright design idea.
Hello pataburde

Were you able to change the fuse on the D400 EX?

If so, what fuse did you put in (brand and reference)?

And what are your feelings?

Thank you kindly Vulcan
No, just want to try an upgrade fuse--to see what all this hub-bub is about.

No, just want to try an upgrade fuse--to see what all this hub-bub is about.
Hello pataburde

Were you able to change the fuse on the D400 EX?

If so, what fuse did you put in (brand and reference)?

And what are your feelings?

Thank you kindly Vulcan

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #283 of 284
One quick question for the D400ex users out there - are there any recent firmware updates? I'm simply curious since the last one is from last year's March or April (so more than a year ago). Is this the usual SMSL deal, regarding firmware updates? One and done?

May 1, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #284 of 284
One quick question for the D400ex users out there - are there any recent firmware updates? I'm simply curious since the last one is from last year's March or April (so more than a year ago). Is this the usual SMSL deal, regarding firmware updates? One and done?
That's a very good question, I own a 400EX and also curious.

Looking on their download page, I'm only seeing those two updates. I'll have to look what firmware I currently have on mine but I think the latest issue might be 1.01?

I will say it does sound very good, very much a AKM sound and in some aspects compete's with DAC's in the $1.5K range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back