Smoking in Pubs/Bars Yes or No?
Feb 25, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #31 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
You're supposed to be "laughing" in a comedy club and you people who cough at shows really GET ON MY NERVES!!! Take your damned coughing and moaning outside!! There's nothing worse than some pain in the neck coughing his guts all over the place when you're trying to listen to the "entertainer"

I'm sorry, I'll try harder next time.
Maybe if they had a non smoking section where I could breathe some oxygen we could all get along?

Honestly I think that's the best solution, areas to smoke and areas where you don't. That way both groups can attend the same place and no one is excluded. An I'll promise not to fart near you.
tongue.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #32 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by xUKHCx
Look at what happen to Roy Castle.

Yes, nobody should be forced to shake hands with Thatcher
biggrin.gif

Smoking pretty much killed my mum (lung Cancer) and didnt help my dad much.

But I would rather just not go to smoky pubs/bars than ban smoking at those places.

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #33 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
It is without the scope of the government's power to regulate such things. If there was enough demand for no smoking bars, there would be no-smoking bars competing with smoking bars. If you can't find an establishment that caters to your desires, then either find somewhere else to go, or do without. That's life.

It is about the workers. In factories there is strict regulation on fumes of chemicals to protect the workers (and the enviornment), thus by extenstion they are banning smoking in bars and clubs.

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #34 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
I picked no, not because it's a "disgusting habit". I don't really care if people want to saw their own arms off, it's not my business. But it is my business if they want to saw off mine as well. I vote "no" because I don't want the risk of being exposed to all the smoking-related illnesses because of smokers' so-called "rights". But more power to smokers who do it in the privacy of their own home. Unless their spouses or children don't smoke and they are exposing them. They should think about that, too. Oh, and smokers should not be entitled to any medicare or other public aid for their inevitable health problems. Why should I have to pay for their self-inflicted diseases?

This thread will be closed shortly...

As somebody (forget who) said when they passed the ban in NJ, everybody's right to breathe supercedes anybody's right to smoke.

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #35 of 192
What annoys me is the hypocrisy around the subject.
Last time I looked, tobacco was not illegal. Heroin (etc) metaphors aren't valid.
Tobacco won't get you high or wasted.
What chance have any western govt got to outlaw the weed?
I smoke, and in a social situation - say a restaurant - it bugs you, no problem...I will move or stub out. I'm not an antisocial person.
But...my habit is not in itself illegal.
Markl, you have posted some amazing posts about your abiding love of soul music, and your deep knowledge thereof. But the people who made that music weren't perfect human beings - possibly the reverse...pain and heartache make for great music. Some of them may well have been train-wreck personalities. They may well have smoked. I find the arm-sawing metaphor patronising and offensive.
Tolerance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #36 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by allenf
I find the arm-sawing metaphor patronising and offensive.
Tolerance.
smily_headphones1.gif

I find it to be a good analogy. By drinking you don't directly hurt anybody but yourself, but by smoking you do. And I'm not going to tolerate somebody else damaging my health because of their habits.

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #37 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by allenf
What annoys me is the hypocrisy around the subject.
Last time I looked, tobacco was not illegal. Heroin (etc) metaphors aren't valid.
What chance have any western govt got to outlaw the weed?
I smoke, and in a social situation - say a restaurant - it bugs you, no problem...I will move or stub out. I'm not an antisocial person.
But...my habit is not in itself illegal.
Markl, you have posted some amazing posts about your abiding love of soul music, and your deep knowledge thereof. But the people who made that music weren't perfect human beings - possibly the reverse...pain and heartache make for great music. Some of them may well have been train-wreck personalities. They may well have smoked. I find the arm-sawing metaphor patronising and offensive.
Tolerance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Word.

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #38 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych

Sorry mate, but I'm not sawing my arms off. I'm a fit, healthy and well educated 44 year old male who enjoys the pleasures the world has to offer. I don't need a lecture from you, thank you very much.

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #39 of 192
Unless there is a specialized ventilation system that will suck 100% of the smoke away, and 0% of the smoke will enter my lungs, eyes, and permeate my clothes, then No.

I took the effort to quit smoking, and if someone wants to give themselves further heart disease, and lung diseases, they can do so in the privacy of their own home.

Well, unless they live right below me.

-Ed

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #40 of 192
Quote:

Why should I have to suffer whining twits like you when I go into a pub for a drink (water) and a smoke? I go into a mans pub to be with real men not carping, whining girl's blouses. Ban whining non smokers from pubs, send them over the road to the ladies tearoom!

wow you are a ******

so i am a girl since i dont like the feeling of breathing smoke into my body?
Sorry i have respect for my body and dont like increasing my chances for cancer and breathing problems. Take your Machoism back to the 1920s.

Quote:

You're supposed to be "laughing" in a comedy club and you people who cough at shows really GET ON MY NERVES!!! Take your damned coughing and moaning outside!! There's nothing worse than some pain in the neck coughing his guts all over the place when you're trying to listen to the "entertainer"

Maybe people wouldnt cough if people like you didnt smoke making the cough

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #41 of 192
Very definitely a bad habit to develop, and very unfortunate that the nicotine is so addictive. Smoking is so foul, that when someone who smokes outside our office building gets in the elevator to go back to their office, the smoke smell on their clothes alone pervades the entire elevator. So I typically avoid even getting in the elevator with them. Thankfully, here in California, almost everywhere is smoke free, so you can avoid the second hand effects that used to be everywhere. Nowadays, the only real second hand effect that I typically enounter is the smoky smelling clothes of smokers, or those many consientious smokers who smoke in thier cars, and apparently disgusted by their own cigarette butts, toss them out the car window when they're done so they litter the highways, pollute the oceans, etc. Thanks a lot for that. Really appreciate it. Also, a great PR job for smokers' rights.

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #42 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by Echo_

Take your Machoism back to the 1920s.

No. I'll hunt you out and blow my macho smoke in your face you little nancy boy
wink.gif

Quote:

Maybe people wouldnt cough if people like you didnt smoke making the cough

Well you better expect ONE BORING SHOW cause half the entertainers smoke and if smoking is banned I hope they decide not to entertain "you" in your smoke free boring little home town
tongue.gif
I bet you cover your nose with your skirt when you walk past a chimney?

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #43 of 192
Quote:

Yes, making it doubly pointless.
wink.gif
I could understand smoking tobacco if it got you high, I really could. But it has no positive effects at all and only negative ones. I just don't see the appeal.

Quote:

But the people who made that music weren't perfect human beings - possibly the reverse...pain and heartache make for great music. Some of them may well have been train-wreck personalities. They may well have smoked. I find the arm-sawing metaphor patronising and offensive.

Wasn't trying to be patronising, allenf, just trying to be sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek. Really I support anyone's right to smoke, I just don't want to have to share their cigarrettes in public places. I don't think anyone's lifestyle choices are my business, I'm a left-coast liberal after all.
tongue.gif
I don't judge people based on whether they smoke, my concern is with my own health. I don't want the government regulating anyone's personal behavior in the privacy of their homes. I'd even be open to exploring drug legalization for adults (we could all have free health care and who knows what else with the tax money we'd raise from their sale, plus we could save billions on all the drug offenders in jail, all the cops we have to employ to catch dealers/abusers, get rid of organized crime and on and on-- lots of potential benefits, and yes costs, but we won't know until we try), but once you get behind the wheel, my tolerance for that behavior automatically ends. Mine and everyone else's lives get threatened. So there have to be limits.

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #44 of 192
Listen. I smoke, that's my problem, but I try to be considerate. Bars and such should not have smoking banned unless the owner is so inclined. However, if I were in a smoking bar, and I was the only one (or one of a very few) smoking, I would go outside or put it out. It's called common courtesy. I know that my habit is offensive, and I know that most people don't appreciate it. That's their problem, but I don't have to be rude, do I?

Given all the trouble I go through to avoid bothering people with my smoke, I might as well not smoke. That, though, is another story.

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #45 of 192
I'm not a smoker, but I believe owners of establishments should have the right to set their own smoking policies. Yeah, it's a pain to be a restaurant and have smoke waft your way, but I can always complain and find another restaurant. Bars and pubs I *expect* to be smokey.

Down with the Nanny State!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back