Smoke scent filter - Is there such a thing?
Jul 3, 2007 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

kin0kin

Headphoneus Supremus
It's summer, I've gotta leave my window fan on and it is sucking in smoke scent from outside occasionally. I don't smoke and don't want to be smoking "second hand". Is there something that I can install in my window (filter of some sort) that'd remove smoke scent? thanks

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 28
I would imagine any sort of filter you put in the window would restrict air flow and make you unduly hot.

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 28
Install an A/C unit that has a HEPA filter built in
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 28
A stand-alone HEPA filter with a fresh charcoal filter [I favor Honeywell] can do a wonderful job. I own two.

Laz

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 28
Get a gun and shoot the one that is smoking outside...end of the story...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 28
^x2, smoking is gross.

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 28
hmm the problem is that my apartment includes electricity, but they don't allow tenants to install AC. I could probably buy a hepa filter for humidifier/vacuum cleaner and fit it on the window, behind my fan. It would get noisier but if it gets rid of the scent, I'd do that.

There's a banning smoking campaign going on in Ontario IIRC, I'd very much love to vote for it if it affects my province too. I can't believe that they banned smoking in most places but not residential buildings like apartment and the surroundings.

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yeah, that's pretty much the only real solution. I have no fewer than 4 neighbors that smoke right outside. So, most of the time, I have the windows closed. When it's hot, I use the AC with recirculation, so smoke doesn't come in.

Asking nicely? Yeah. I've tried it. Doesn't work. If someone doesn't care about their own health, you really think they give a flying f#$k about yours?
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 28
I have had an idea for making a window fan that is triggered by a modified smoke detector. A smoke detector would be gutted, and the sensor be placed outside near where the smoke first comes up to the window. So when the smoke detector is triggered, it sets off a relay (instead of an alarm) that turns on the fan.

Now this device would only work if smoke alarms are sensitive enough to be triggered by cigarette smoke outdoors.

I have basic electronics knowledge and have advanced soldering skills, so I would definitely like to make something like this smoke alarm triggered fan.

Another idea is to have a reversible window fan triggered by a smoke alarm. So it is normally sucking air into your room, when triggered by the smoke alarm, it reverses to blow air out of your room, thereby preventing cigarette smoke from entering.

-Ed

Jul 3, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #10 of 28
I like your engineering prowess Edwood; but I'd make a slight modification on your and Sovkiller's suggestion, and combine them into an evil robot.

You have the smoke detector connected up to a gattling gun with a infrared tracking device. When the smoke detector goes off, it triggers the gattling gun which quickly 'downs' the smoker using it's heat-seeking capabilities.

The only real problem I see with this is, what do they call it, 'collateral damage'?
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want an omlette, you gotta break a few eggs.

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like your engineering prowess Edwood; but I'd make a slight modification on your and Sovkiller's suggestion, and combine them into an evil robot.

You have the smoke detector connected up to a gattling gun with a infrared tracking device. When the smoke detector goes off, it triggers the gattling gun which quickly 'downs' the smoker using it's heat-seeking capabilities.

The only real problem I see with this is, what do they call it, 'collateral damage'?
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want an omlette, you gotta break a few eggs.

Maybe I'll move to Vancouver, BC instead. Canadians are more considerate of their non-smoking neighbors, right? Oh, wait, the OP is from Ontario......

Well, the nearly nonstop rain will put a damper on outside smoking, though, right?

-Ed

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

actually I would turn the gun on yourself cause if you just cant bear the occasionally drifted in second hand from an open window then you probably can not bear to exist in this world. locking yourself up in your room and living your life online with a headphone forum is one thing but when you are that afraid of a scent coming in from a open window then just shoot yourself..

or worse yet when people who think its right to shoot someone cause of the scent just drifting threw a window...

I mean that...really..

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually I would turn the gun on yourself cause if you just cant bear the occasionally drifted in second hand from an open window then you probably can not bear to exist in this world. locking yourself up in your room and living your life online with a headphone forum is one thing but when you are that afraid of a scent coming in from a open window then just shoot yourself..

or worse yet when people who think its right to shoot someone cause of the scent just drifting threw a window...

I mean that...really..

I got a gun for you, Billy boy.

I have a picture of it right here.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #14 of 28
Hey, Billy before we turn this thread into a smokers vs. non-smokers thread, let's at least address the OP's topic. And it's a product you love that I recommended to you awhile ago, remember?
wink.gif

BlueAir 402 HEPA filter. Get the SmokeStop filter. It has a massive charcoal filter in it. It's not cheap, but it works quite well with cigarette smoke. But they are very expensive. About $120 every 6 months. (and that's not including the $500 you will spend on buying the filter itself.) The 402 is very quiet at the lower settings, another bonus for a Head-fier.

I think my smoking neighbors should pay the extra $10/month it costs to have the SmokeStop filter vs. the standard particle filter.

But I digress, kin0kin should definitely look into a HEPA filter with an active charcoal filter element.

And let's not make cigarette smoke a euphemism by calling it a "scent". It's toxic smoke, plain and simple.

Otherwise, I am looking into making a cheaper DIY solution for preventing toxic smoke from entering my home in the first place. One that is preferrably legal, of course.
wink.gif

-Ed

Jul 3, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, Billy before we turn this thread into a smokers vs. non-smokers thread, let's at least address the OP's topic. And it's a product you love that I recommended to you awhile ago, remember?
wink.gif

BlueAir 402 HEPA filter. Get the SmokeStop filter. It has a massive charcoal filter in it. It's not cheap, but it works quite well with cigarette smoke. But they are very expensive. About $120 every 6 months. (and that's not including the $500 you will spend on buying the filter itself.) The 402 is very quiet at the lower settings, another bonus for a Head-fier.

I think my smoking neighbors should pay the extra $10/month it costs to have the SmokeStop filter vs. the standard particle filter.

But I digress, kin0kin should definitely look into a HEPA filter with an active charcoal filter element.

And let's not make cigarette smoke a euphemism by calling it a "scent". It's toxic smoke, plain and simple.

Otherwise, I am looking into making a cheaper DIY solution for preventing toxic smoke from entering my home in the first place. One that is preferrably legal, of course.
wink.gif

-Ed

I have that in my room..
I love it! does it stop the smoke? no but it does the best one can do when people are a smoking..lots..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back