Smbody explain me this. (regarding Hd650 & cables)
Oct 13, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #17 of 46
Those tiny wires are from the voice coil, of course you can't change them and they are very short. The idea behind good cabling is to bring the most unaltered audio signal to the voice coil(s). The longer the cable the better chance some small degradations will happen like picking up some noise from EMI/RFI especially if you live close to a big city full of radio waves pollution. And that's just one of the benefit of good cabling, there's other things that can be more...obscure? LOL.

IMO cables don't make HUGE differences, it's more about tiny differences that associated with quality hardwares can make the change between extremely good to exceptional. Sort of maximizing the whole audio chain.

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #18 of 46
aftermarket cables for Senns work - i.e., improve the sound. that has been my experience and the experience of many, many others.

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #19 of 46
The believers can't prove audible differences between reasonably well constructed cables in DBTs , so from a scientific point of view there is no audible difference, but the voodoo scene usually doesn't care about science and as far as I'm concerned they have any right to blow their money for whatever they want.It stimulates the economy and that's certainly good for all of us.

Quote:

No it wasn't my original question. Read again. I asked about specific 650 driver+cable issues.

There is nothing specific.Most dynamic headphones share the same construction principles, especially the tiny inner wires, sometimes even tinier than the Senn wires.

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No it wasn't my original question. Read again. I asked about specific 650 driver+cable issues.

Well, your whole question was:

Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since sound can be only as good as those tiny wires(pic) which connects the socket and the driver, what kind of improvement can ANY cable give?

I read that as you asking if recabling can make a difference, I must have misunderstood. I'm sorry.

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by solomon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A similiar doubt is, why expensive power cables can improve sound, when you understand that the powerline from the plant to your home is made of very cheap and maybe thin copper cord.

power.jpg

600smile.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #24 of 46
I love the:
Quote:

"Forget the technical "BS"... and simply rely on the resulting sound quality improvement of the specific cable."
argument. We should expend this to more of life, for example:

Quote:

"Forget the technical "BS"... and simply rely on the resulting health quality improvement of the specific herbal remedy."

Basicly the cable people haven't got any rational justification whatsoever for what they "hear" and its entrily placebo. The reaosn they want to convince you that there is any differance is that they got conned by buying these epensive cables and deep down feel like right idiots, but their minds have sheilded them from this by providing the placebo.

what the cable people fail to comprehend is they are idiots and got conned ^ ^

Oct 13, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #25 of 46
I get a general impression that Americans have a more extravagant (or magical?) outlook when it comes to re-cabling etc., and that others in the world a bit more of a realistic (practical?) outlook.

I wonder if that's an accurate perception, and, if so, what it is in the American psyche that leads us to attempt to optimize the last four feet of power cord, or to second-guess original equipment manufacturers more regularly concerning their design choices, i.e. everything but that last inch or two of copper?

Oct 13, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wonder if that's an accurate perception, and, if so, what it is in the American psyche that leads us to attempt to optimize the last four feet of power cord, or to second-guess original equipment manufacturers more regularly concerning their design choices, i.e. everything but that last inch or two of copper?

I think its to do with the high-quality silver cabling used in most US cities mains. Also the average American must live within feet of where their electricity is generated.

I believe electrical conditioning might do something, but then I don't really believe there are dirty and clean voltages in the first place, or if they're affecting.

Oct 13, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The believers can't prove audible differences between reasonably well constructed cables in DBTs , so from a scientific point of view there is no audible difference, but the voodoo scene usually doesn't care about science and as far as I'm concerned they have any right to blow their money for whatever they want.It stimulates the economy and that's certainly good for all of us.

There is nothing specific.Most dynamic headphones share the same construction principles, especially the tiny inner wires, sometimes even tinier than the Senn wires.

different cables do influence the sound of headphones.. I had my SA5000 recabled with a stock 650 cable, & induced the 650 house sound. Truthfully, I was somewhat skeptical about better cables for headphones.. But it seems different cables can influence the sound.. A head fier who also had his SA5000 recabled wit the stock 650 cable, emailed me about the changes, & we both agreed, the sound was different. Not better, but different..

& if science can't prove it, it must be false or not real.
rs1smile.gif
.Tell that to all the faith believers..

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #28 of 46
"I think its to do with the high-quality silver cabling used in most US cities mains. Also the average American must live within feet of where their electricity is generated."

We had to install an emergency generator because we live at the end of the power line, deep in the countryside. I think the cabling to our house is made of wood or tin.
580smile.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think its to do with the high-quality silver cabling used in most US cities mains. Also the average American must live within feet of where their electricity is generated.

I believe electrical conditioning might do something, but then I don't really believe there are dirty and clean voltages in the first place, or if they're affecting.

http://www.dansdata.com/gz039.htm

And I must say, reading the accounts of people recabling their headphones, just for a SQ improvement, is funny.

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #30 of 46
rather than looking for better cables, why not look for worse ones to check your opinions? if a WORSE cable sounds worse, shouldnt a better one sound better? and if the worse cable dosnt sound worse, why participate in any of the cable games we play?

i would reccomend you buy a stainless steel cable (senheisser hd-414 for example) it will plug straight into the hd-650. since cables dont do anything it should sound the same
blink.gif

now, for why the sound CAN be improved when dealing with those wires: first off they are a high purity copper odds are good that they are better than most of what people plug into them. secondly, they are actually SIGNIFCANTLY longer than the cable from the headphone to the amp. Third, they are a solid core wire: most people arguments AGAINST solid wire center on the premise that they are fragile (which they are when exposed to the "human element") but in the case of a driver, or a contained unit (such as IN an amp) they are QUITE reliable, and sound better than most stranded ones.

i would SERIOUSLY try out a stainless cable if you think cables dont do anything. some people (and they may be the lucky ones in all of this) dont hear a difference going from an average to better cable. the differences between copper and stainless is pretty significant, IMHO more than the differences from the stock senn cable to a mega-buck one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back