Smashing pumpkins : Siamese dream !!! WOWOWOWOW
May 28, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Post title says it all!

In that case, I would recommend picking up a copy of Earphoria. It has live versions of most of the songs on Siamese Dream including an electric version of Disarm. My favorite on it is the live version of Slunk which can also be found on the Lull EP.

May 28, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #17 of 30
Has the honor of being the only CD I've bought 4 separate times. Stolen twice, lost once and beaten to hell this time, might just wind up buying it again.

Easily my favorite record to listen to, and definitely on my top 5 all time.

GISH is the way to go if you want more guitar rock from the pumpkins (or Pieces Iscariot) and Melancholy if you want more creativity from them.

May 28, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah yes Smashing Pumpkins.........I lived in near north Chicago during thier early days and saw them many times at Metro across from Wrigley Field.

Siamese Dream is an indie masterwork musically, some don't care for Corrigan's whiny vocal style.....but that gives them some distinction I guess and you get used to it.

wahhh?

May 29, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #19 of 30
A great album, Smashing Pumpkin's best!!!

I don't think Billy Corgan is that great a guitarrist but his solos on this album are awesome, he really channels Hendrix on some songs in a strange way.

If you don't already have it, pick up Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness.

It's dissappointing compared to Siamese but I've found that if you make your own CD out of about 10 or 11 songs of the 26 on this bloated double album, it's actually almost as good! There are some really good songs on that along with a lot of filler.

Wow, I feel old - I remember picking this album up the day it came out!

May 29, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep!

But ummm.... welcome to 1993?

Assuming you never heard it before, glad to hear you discovered it.
Great CD.

smily_headphones1.gif

ahem, much better is the LP for SQ.

But I too killed this CD since its release (Promo) in NY, late 1992 --yes, the album shreds. If you like this sound, be sure to pick up the vinyl, there are at least 3 if not more songs to my recollect that appear ONLY on the LP album..and not the redbook ver, fyi

sure everyone already knew this though, but if not
icon10.gif

May 30, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #21 of 30
what this tells me is that the next generation of *young folks discovering "old" music for the first time and being inspired to start their own bands in tribute and eventually finding their own voice* is about to cycle through again. and right on cue, as the retro 80's indie bands are about as mainstream as they'll ever be, and ready to die out. prepare for Retro-Grunge, everyone!

i'm all for folks finding music and making it their own. but i'm also anxious, still waiting for "the next big thing" to really revolutionize popular music since Nirvana. which was 17 yrs since their heyday. i mean, there are teens walkin' around who weren't even born before "Nevermind" came out, argh! they deserve better than Britney Spears' Comeback Tour!

May 30, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what this tells me is that the next generation of *young folks discovering "old" music for the first time and being inspired to start their own bands in tribute and eventually finding their own voice* is about to cycle through again. and right on cue, as the retro 80's indie bands are about as mainstream as they'll ever be, and ready to die out. prepare for Retro-Grunge, everyone!

i'm all for folks finding music and making it their own. but i'm also anxious, still waiting for "the next big thing" to really revolutionize popular music since Nirvana. which was 17 yrs since their heyday. i mean, there are teens walkin' around who weren't even born before "Nevermind" came out, argh! they deserve better than Britney Spears' Comeback Tour!

Well i'm prepared for anything, but let's be honest... can ANYONE actually imitate grunge? Nobody who was "grunge" wanted to be, and almost all of them shunned the label, and I don't think anyone's going to be a good Nirvana clone.

As long as the number of whiney pop punk bands goes down I'm pretty sure i'll be satisfied.

May 31, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Silversun Pick-ups sound just like Smashing Pumkins during Siamese Twins period with different vocal sound of course.......definitely check out thier new album!

Silversun's new album Carnavas has that distortion laden grunge sound. This album is really good.

May 31, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #25 of 30
I've been listening to the silverson pickups , It's very good but does not convince me as Siamese dream does...

Siamese dream went under my radar at first because I thought it was another one of those bands . but after listening to it with attention and some beers , I felt this is one of those albums that changed the music scene. ( and people maybe)

Just like listening to the velvet underground , it breathes history
biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread, I'll surely get these ... the vinyl copy of siamese dream seems like a worthy purchase to !

Robert

(excuse me for my english, I'm dutch)

Jahn: for new generation music have a go at: Joanna newsom , devendra banhart, maybe Anthony and the johnsons, Animal collective ( did I spell that right?)

Warning, It's not all easy listening.

May 31, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #26 of 30
SP fans need to hear the last two albums by Hum. YOU'D PREFER AN ASTRONAUT and DOWNWARD IS HEAVENWARD. They were contemporaries of The Pumpkins, though unfortuantely, many consider them to be copy cats. This was not the case, as both bands formed around the same time, it's just the the Pumpkins had their "hits" first. Hum also have the huge walls of guitar that the SP's are known for. Definately consider checking them out. Folks might recognize their minor 90's hit "Stars" - (she thinks she missed the train to mars, she's out back counting stars..)

-jar

Jun 1, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what this tells me is that the next generation of *young folks discovering "old" music for the first time and being inspired to start their own bands in tribute and eventually finding their own voice* is about to cycle through again.

That's very insightful. I hadn't thought about it, but I agree. It leads to many other insightful points. Why doesn't the whole topic make me feel old though?

This thread has inspired me to go back and listen to the CD again when I get home from work later. I'm glad someone brought it up.

I'm interested to know how old the OP is though? I need some prespective.

Jun 1, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #30 of 30

But whats important about age? I don't feel very different from when I was 15
smily_headphones1.gif
I only read more books , saw more movies, and listened to more music in those 3 years
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back