Smart Phone (which?) with PAYG Card Instead of MP3 Player & Dumb Phone?
Oct 27, 2012 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Rayzilla

1000+ Head-Fier
(I'm not sure why all these empty lines are showing up. I went back to try and delete them but they won't go away.)

I currently use a 3rd gen iPod Touch with E17 for my music and a cheap "Dumb" phone as my mobile.  I only use a Pay-As-You-Go (PAYG) sim card because I don't use the phone much so I spend less than $25/year for my mobile services.

I was thinking about updating/upgrading my portable source and I was thinking about the Sony NW-Z1070 and continuing with the dumb phone.  After checking out some stores today, I saw loads and loads of Sony Xperia mobile phones, Samsumgs, etc.

Here is my question: So instead of getting an upgraded MP3 & apps. player (like a Sony NW-Z1070) and having to carry around my dumb phone with PAYG sim card, could I just get a smart phone like Sony Xperia (or similar) as my MP and still use a PAYG sim card?  BTW, I am located in Hong Kong so not sure if this matters.

If I can use a PAYG sim card on a smart phone, which smart phone has the best sound quality?

I'm not sure what else I need to ask so I will start with this simple question for now.

Thanks for any tips!

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #2 of 3
You should be able to use your sim card in any smartphone as log as it is the correct physical size (standard/micro/nano). Just be sure to disable any feature that does data over the phone connection. Also make sure to buy an unlocked phone or it will only work on one providers network

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks nc8000.

I came across this thread on the Sony Z series and I am very interested in it but I would like to know if Sony's smart phones like the Xperia line has similar sound quality to the Z series players? If so, which Xperia phone has the best sound quality?

I am pretty sure I saw the NW-Z1070 at a headphone shop here selling for a lot less than they are on Amazon but I would prefer to try combining my mobile with MP for the convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back