Small Resistors
Oct 15, 2007 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jamess71

500+ Head-Fier
I'm going to make a few impedance adapters. Who makes the smallest resistors. I'm thinking of using 1/4 watt metal film. thankws

James

Oct 15, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 17
use the 1/8w metal films they are one of the smallest.
any brand will do.
to name a few EG. xircon or panasonic.

Oct 15, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 17
Vishay/Dale makes some pretty blue ones, the CMF50 series :p

mini3_resistors.jpg

The smallest ones I've seen are the Panasonics.

Oct 15, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by koike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
use the 1/8w metal films they are one of the smallest.
any brand will do.
to name a few EG. xircon or panasonic.

WILL any brand do? since they're in the signal path, i'd think you would want resistors that offer the best possible performance.

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 17
If they are in the signal path, doesn't he want low tolerance, non-inductive resistors?

Oct 15, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 17
Try some kiwame resistors.

The come as low as 2 watt I think but they are small for 2 watts.

Low noise, and carbon film- without the drift.

They might not be super small, but they will show you great improvement over metal film.

Oct 17, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vishay/Dale makes some pretty blue ones, the CMF50 series :p

mini3_resistors.jpg

The smallest ones I've seen are the Panasonics.

Nice Mini3 I have the same Vishay/Dale in mine , sound nice don't they ? and yes they are a bit large I guess.

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinwerm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice Mini3 I have the same Vishay/Dale in mine , sound nice don't they ? and yes they are a bit large I guess.

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna try a few different ones. the kiwame resistors sound interesting. Am I really going to notice a difference in the sound? Would the Ohmite carbon composite available at Digikey be as good as the kiwame? Thanks

James

BTW what kind of 3.5 jacks are those on the mini3?

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna try a few different ones. the kiwame resistors sound interesting. Am I really going to notice a difference in the sound? Would the Ohmite carbon composite available at Digikey be as good as the kiwame? Thanks

James

BTW what kind of 3.5 jacks are those on the mini3?

ummm... do you realize how huge the kiwame's are?
blink.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #12 of 17
I've heard that the Mills MRA-5 non-inductive wirewounds sound very good... never tried them myself however. They are rated at 5W, but are pretty small and seem to fit where a Dale RN60 would.

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 17
Try this one RC55y series from the WELWYN (TT) company.I am currently using in all of my amps.Ultra low noise and very accurate.
Series:RC55Y; Tolerance, resistance ±:±0.1%; Power rating:0.25W; Temperature, operating range:-55°C to +155°C; Resistor element type
15PPM while the dale one is 100ppm.
I think it would be quite ideal for the choice.
600smile.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard that the Mills MRA-5 non-inductive wirewounds sound very good... never tried them myself however. They are rated at 5W, but are pretty small and seem to fit where a Dale RN60 would.

yeah, the Mills are a bit bigger than a RN60 ... but, in an impedance adapter?
blink.gif
I'd think you'd want a smaller (i.e. SMD) package... however, if you're interested in larger resistors, I'd also recommend looking at IRC GS3 resistors... very nice for a 3 watt resistor, and conveniently on sale at handmade audio (some values at least).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back