Small, Over the ear headphones
Aug 11, 2014 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Nolegrl

New Head-Fier
I'm an infrequent flier (maybe 3x a year max), but I need headphones with me at all times. I generally just watch movies on my laptop, but also like to block out the noise from my fellow travelers.

I used to be fine with in ear phones, but ever since I purchased a pair of ath-m50x's, I'm in love with over the ear headphones. I recently took those m50x's on a trip with me and they were just too big for travel. They seemed to take up more space in my bag than I liked, even with them folded up.

I'm on the search for a sub 200 pair of over ears that will fit a bit better in my bag. I like the idea of them folding flat, like the bose qc15, but I don't want to pay that price for how often I'll actually use them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: They do not need to be noise cancelling, I'm fine with just plain noise isolation, as that's all the ath-m50x's provide and I'm fine with that.

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 32
Hello have you tried the sennheiser momentum over the headphones 251 USD on Amazon or the sennheiser momentum on the ear 139 USD Amazon. The momentum are supposed to be very portable. Good reviews on these two cans can be found in The Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide. Furthermore there are momentum appreciation threads you can read up on. I briefly tried on the ear version, and it was cool, but I would try over the ear, the reviews say they have better sound.

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 32
Hi Nolegrl,

I think the Audio Technica ATH-ANC1 would be perfect for you! They are small, noise canceling, and affordable! 

Thanks for the suggestion! Do you have any opinion on the ATH-ANC7B? I'd prefer over ear as opposed to on ear. Thanks!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002HWJT1A?cache=12b84a50852ad109ba765b1c2b4c60a2&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1407781552&sr=8-5#ref=mp_s_a_1_5

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 32
Hello have you tried the sennheiser momentum over the headphones 251 USD on Amazon or the sennheiser momentum on the ear 139 USD Amazon. The momentum are supposed to be very portable. Good reviews on these two cans can be found in The Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide. Furthermore there are momentum appreciation threads you can read up on. I briefly tried on the ear version, and it was cool, but I would try over the ear, the reviews say they have better sound.

Thanks! I'll look at the over ear model, as I'd prefer over the ear, but that's pushing it as far as price goes. I just can't justify spending that much on something I'm only going to use a few times a year.

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 32
Yes I agree they are a little expensive but they seem very portable , I might get a pair for Christmas. Please take care.

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 32

I don't think I've seen you here before... nice beard.

The Momentum's have ubiquitously good reviews. I haven't spent a good enough time with them to give them a proper review, but I remember them being pretty good for the price.

Aug 11, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 32
I don't think I've seen you here before... nice beard.

The Momentum's have ubiquitously good reviews. I haven't spent a good enough time with them to give them a proper review, but I remember them being pretty good for the price.

Thanks I have been growing my beard for over 14 years now. Looking forward to your review on the momentum's, I would like to get a pair just worried how they will fit over my ears.

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #9 of 32
Thanks I have been growing my beard for over 14 years now. Looking forward to your review on the momentum's, I would like to get a pair just worried how they will fit over my ears.

I don't think I'd be able to review them, putting my thoughts into words has never been my strong suit. They do look nice though!

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #10 of 32
The UE6000 goes for very cheap nowadays and has noise cancelation, which granted isn't very good, but it blocks more noise than M50. And I find the ANC to be very handy for movie watching, that extra bass boost is home theater like. Oh and they sound good without ANC and isolate noise just fine without it as well. Current prices make it an absolute steal IMO

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 32
The UE6000 goes for very cheap nowadays and has noise cancelation, which granted isn't very good, but it blocks more noise than M50. And I find the ANC to be very handy for movie watching, that extra bass boost is home theater like. Oh and they sound good without ANC and isolate noise just fine without it as well. Current prices make it an absolute steal IMO

Thanks! They look good! How big are they in their carrying case? They fold up like the m50's, which (to me) causes them to use more space in my bag than a fold flat design.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #14 of 32
Thanks! They look good! How big are they in their carrying case? They fold up like the m50's, which (to me) causes them to use more space in my bag than a fold flat design.

They fold more compact than the M50. As the carrying case is rather small. The M50s fold straight up while these fold inwards. The folded M50s don't fit in the UE case fwiw. These are the best bet IMO, especially <$100

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #15 of 32
So I got a pair of headphones, but I'm probably going to get blackballed from this forum now.

I did extensive online research on the headphones mentioned in this thread (thank you for the suggestions!). I was all set to purchase the UE6000, until I read a few reviews that said the sound leak was pretty significant. That's a concern of mine, as I always try to stay conscious of my headphone usage and don't like to disturb anyone around me.

I went into Best Buy today with $140 in giftcards from a for-profit trade-in I made a few weeks ago. I tried out the momentums (on-ear) at the demo stand. They were comfortable, but I just couldn't get past the on ear style. I felt like it would bother me after a while. I also went over to the Bose (I know) section, and tried on the SoundTrue over-ear style headphone. My first impression was that they were light and comfortable, but felt cheaply made and didn't seem that great for the (on sale) $149 price. So I put them down and went home, and did more research. I looked up the SoundTrue to see what the reviews were and the general first impression was the same as mine comfortable, but, cheap and pricey. They did mention that the sound was decent, but not bass heavy (which is fine by me).

Two hours later, I went back to Best Buy and bought a pair of Bose SoundTrue, all black style, over-ear headphones for $20 out of pocket. I have 14 days to decide if I want to keep them. So far, I compared them against my Ath-m50 through my Logitech Z200 speakers and they really don't sound bad. The m50's sound better, since I think there is a bit more bass, but since I'll primarily be watching movies with them, that's not a huge concern. They headphones fold flat in their carrying case and fit in my bag nicely without taking up too much space.

If anyone thinks I've made a huge mistake, please let me know, but on the eve of my purchase, I'm not having regrets. These were in my price-range and met my portability and style requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back