Small nozzle deep fit IEM recommendations
Aug 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AstralStorm

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm trying to find a well isolating IEM with as few sonic compromises as possible.
The problem is that my ear canal's first bend is pretty elliptical and narrow. I know for sure I cannot deep fit 5.5mm and 5 mm nozzled IEMs.

VSonic GR07 on the other hand causes minor discomfort due to the large shell which I cannot avert with longer tips, as there aren't any that are long enough and comfortable enough. Few tips fit its 3.5mm nozzle.

Foam tips were the most comfortable. Triple flanges typically scrub my ear canal's first bend, biflanges worked better.

So, the current list of IEMs that might possibly fit are:
Etymotic HF5 (lacking bass?)
Etymotic MC5 (high end rolloff, light bass?)
VSonic GR01 (too large nozzle?)
Brainwavz B2, Fisher Audio DBA-02 and mkII (weird nozzle size = tip/fit issues? nozzle is 2.5mm = between Westone and Ety; non mkII - build quality?)
Jays q-Jays (cable issues?)
j-phonic K2 SP (website down?)
Westone 4 (too dark, slight rolloff, too expensive for what they can do)

and old model which I already have:
Sleek Audio SA6 (cable problems, burned through 2 cables - would need a custom cable; high end rolloff; however great fit with Comply P)

IEMs with custom tips or small custom IEMs are also a possibility.
Any other options which you could recommend?

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 8
i like my GR01's a lot. i can try to answer any question you may have about them.

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 8
HF5 is going to be your best bet, including in your 1st paragraph:  "as few sonic compromises as possible."  Etymotic Research's goal is to present music in the most accurate, true way.  Bass may be "light" compared to heavy-handed consumer earphones, but you won't find a more accurate earphone under $125.

For you smaller ear canals, the opaque smokey blue tips might be just right, but the stock milky gray tips could also work because they are pretty soft and will fit easily deeply in my small ear canals.  The black Shure foam tips will fit on the HF5, fairly tightly tho.

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm curious, can Comply P, T100 or Ts100 fit properly onto Etymotic HF5?
Edit: Yes, they will.

Is the bass lighter or heavier than RE-272? Equalizable like the former?
Edit: Seems lighter and not equalizable.

Hmm, there's a notable lack of dynamic driver IEMs with small nozzles...
I'm currently leaning towards Brainwavz B2 which look like an improved build quality version of DBA-02, kind of like DBA-02 mkII which is not (yet?) available locally.

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 8
Impossible success!

Brainwavz B2 + Comply P Slim = perfect balance, fit and isolation. Better than SE-5 w/o eq - less dark. Somewhat less impact, but still plenty. Also doesn't cost $1500.
Comply tips improve the slightly artificial aggressive detailing without sacrificing air. The balance is nigh identical to one achieved by equalizing SE-5 with less bass presence.
Detailing is only a tiptoe back (I'd say 10%, bit more grain). The only thing is that they sport a bit too much ~10kHz sparkle.

I almost feel bad spending that much on SE-5 after hearing those...

HIGHLY recommended combination.

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 8
klipsch x10..... n qjays
popcorn.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 8
I'd go with the Hf5s. They sound very good (assuming you get a good seal....) They aren't lacking bass, they have just enough.

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 8
Too late, as I've said, I now have Brainwavz B2. I've compared it to original DBA-02 - the build quality is quite a bit better, except the cable. The plastic is better quality, mold is nicer - has a sharp edge, but placed on the sides so that it doesn't touch the ears. Jack is far better, angled, slimmer and better relieved. Cable looks very similar, there are same very short strain relief at the IEM side, but they're more elastic on B2.
The only complaint I'd have that might've been solved by mkII is that the nozzle angle is better suited for straight-down wear - it works for over the ear ok too, but bass is better with straight-down fit in my case due to truly perfect fit.

I've actually auditioned HF5. I was not amused by the absolute lack of bass impact. These sound like piezo speakers in low registers!
In comparison, B2 are a bass monster. (of course they're not) The rest was actually fine, if lean.

Q-Jays were nice sound, nowhere near as airy; but I've heard about the hardening cable which is the prime cause of IEM death in my case. So, nopes.
I've also auditioned X10 in the past, that's why they're not on the list. They're far too rolled off at the high end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back