small lightweight options for running/workouts???
May 9, 2012 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lamski

New Head-Fier
After running on the treadmill for a while and building up quite a bit of sweat my in ear monitors slip out and don't stay in more then a few seconds after they come out.  What are the best affordable options out there that will stay in and keep the seal? 

I'm looking for lightweight, comfort, durable, sweatproof, and obviously sound quality.   

Im open to any style (IEM, on ear, behind head, etc...)

Budget is under $50 or around there.

May 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

He wants sound quality :p

Although I feel that it isn't possible to get proper sound out of any headphone while working out, I think something like the M6/M6P/S6 may work out for him.  There really is nothing that will allow you to avoid bone conduction though.  Another idea is the Marshall Minor. 

May 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 14
iem microphonics from activity rules them out - safety concerns as well - 30 dB isolation and you're missing hearing important safety clues

May 9, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
iem microphonics from activity rules them out - safety concerns as well - 30 dB isolation and you're missing hearing important safety clues

Microphonics can be solved by over the ear insertion (IE the M6/M6P/S6).  Bone conduction is present in all headphones, (over ear headphones, IEMs, on ears, earbuds all have bone conduction).  The only IEM I'm aware of that really does 30 dB isolation at under 50 is the Etymotic EtyKids and M5/M3/M2 (I think there is an M2 now).  I honestly have tried running with earbuds and IEMs, it's not the isolation that will kill you.  It's the distraction due to the music that disconnects you from the world.  So the safety concern is really more of a are you playing music thing, not a I can't hear you thing (you can hear fine with music off, even with most IEMs; granted there are exceptions).

May 9, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 14
I actually get pretty good sound out of my Yurbuds using my Walkman.  But I can really adjust the bass.  But honestly, you can get the yurbud tips and put them on any earbud you want.  The best sounding workout headphones I have are my Jaybird sportsband bluetooth headphones.  I sometimes toss the iphone into the Spibelt and listen to pandora for many miles.  And that takes care of cable issues, bass and everything else.  I don't always where them because I like different sounds sometimes. 

I also really like my senn pmx680's.  They provide very little bass but otherwise are very clear sounding and enjoyable. 

I think workout headphones in general is just a big crapshoot.  It's almost impossible to get it perfect...the right bass, with little to no cable noise. 

I also use another set of Yurbud tips on my PK3's.  They are ok.  Clarity goes away a bit because the sound has to be redirected...but it's better than the buds that come with yurbuds.

May 9, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 14
You could try IEMs with earhooks such as the JVC HAEBX5. Another choice is a compact headphone like the JVC HA-S160 Flats. The HAEBX5 looks interesting. I have a few low priced JVC IEMs and like them, but don't have any of the models with ear hooks. I assume you want isolation, otherwise you could choose something like the Koss KSC75 or Koss Sportapro.

May 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
Meelec S6 for the win.

I agree with this.  For under $50, you get awesome headphones, carrying case, armband, like 6 different size ear tips, a cable clip and couple other things.

Definitely check this out.  Here's a review I agree with after using them for about a week now: http://www.workoutearbuds.com/meelectronics-sport-fi-s6-headphones/

May 13, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

I agree with this.  For under $50, you get awesome headphones, carrying case, armband, like 6 different size ear tips, a cable clip and couple other things.

Definitely check this out.  Here's a review I agree with after using them for about a week now: http://www.workoutearbuds.com/meelectronics-sport-fi-s6-headphones/

is the s6 worth twice the price as the m6?  they seem similar is style at least.

May 14, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #14 of 14
Indeed the price of the S6 is higher than the M6 (now on sale at 30$, and if I remember well, 50$ was the original price one year ago).

Does anybody knows how they sound, compared to M6 ? Specs are very similar, so I guess they should sound egual, no?

My M9 has a kind of special cable that makes no knots. The M6 seems to have that one too. The S6 seems not. The cable looks like a kind of ruberized cable. Can anybody confirm?

And, are they "sweat proof"? I don't see any mention of that issue on the MEEL site.
Thanx 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back