Small Footprint DAC <5k USD?
Oct 6, 2021 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

eskamobob1

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello Guys,

I am itching for a bit of a dac upgrade but I'm running into a couple of issues. The main one is that I simply cant fit something with the footprint of a may/la voce/etc. I currently use a P6 Pro (discrete R2R true NOS dap) as my main dac and while it quite good I want to play with some other stuff. What should I look into that is sub 5k USD used and sub, say, 13" (300mm) or so in any given direction? I am honestly at a bit of a loss of what even to look into.

EDIT: My Current "to research" list

• Xi Sagra
  • COS D2
  • Bricasti M3
  • SW1X DAC 2/3
  • Audiobyte Hydra+Vox
  • Audio Note 2.1
  • Exogal Comet + PS
  • Hibiki Dac
  • Ayre QB-9 Twenty
  • MSB Analog
  • Lessloss Echo's End
If I jump up to the 10k range there is a lot more info on stuff like the Nagra line, Weiss DAC501, Tambaqui, etc, but I dont realy want to jump that high off the bat.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 19
Two excellent dac in that size that I like: Eleven Audio Sagra and Chord TT2. TT2 would be a slight stretch from your budget though.

But I suggest to looking for DAC based on sound synergy as well. I have no idea about your whole chain, so only can help based on price and size.

Oct 24, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 19
The Denafrips Ares II gets lots of good reviews and would be compact enough. Have not heard any Denafrips DAC myself, though.

Schiit Bifrost 2, RME's DACs, Benchmark DAC3 also come to mind, of which I've only heard the Bifrost 2, and I much prefer the Yggdrasil OG, but that's 16" x 12".

Topping and SMSL have lots of compact DACs and some of them seem to found to sound good by some, heh.

There's also the iFi Pro IDSD / Pro iDSD Signature and Mytek Liberty DAC II.

None of those are recommendations, just some things to look at.

Oct 24, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 19
Two excellent dac in that size that I like: Eleven Audio Sagra and Chord TT2. TT2 would be a slight stretch from your budget though.

But I suggest to looking for DAC based on sound synergy as well. I have no idea about your whole chain, so only can help based on price and size.

essentially I am looking for stuff to add to my "to research" list right now. As for my gear, Ill get it added to my sig in a bit but Here it goes

Cans: HD800S, D8000 Pro, D8000, Susvara, Utopia, T+A Solitaire P, LCD-R, Mest MK2
Desktop Amps: Bakoon AMP-13R, Bakoon HPA-21, A&S Forge
Portable Amps: Bakoon HPA-01M, Cayin C9, Mass Kobo 428, LessFox BX2 Plus, Woo WA8, Phatlab Phantasy II
Sources: A&K SP1000 + Amp, L&P P6 Pro, Schiit BF2

My most listened to chains currently are

1. HPA-21 -> HD800S
  2. Anything -> D8KP (these things seriously sound great on everything)
  3. Forge -> Utopia
My Guess at gear changes is that HPA-21 will get swapped for a Re-Leaf E3 Dc Hybrid, AIC-10 will be added, and maybe I'll get mysphere/raal/TC. D8K, Soli P, BF2 and SP1K will be leaving for sure. Long term I want to get Shang Sr (not sure what amp yet, but probabaly T2 or Viva STX), but I want to at least experience better dacs first.

Also, Ill edit my OP to include the current list I have. The Sagra is on it, but ive kinda written off the TT2 cause I honestly just feel its too expensive for what it is and I wasnt a massive fan of the Hugo2 sound as is.

The Denafrips Ares II gets lots of good reviews and would be compact enough. Have not heard any Denafrips DAC myself, though.

Schiit Bifrost 2, RME's DACs, Benchmark DAC3 also come to mind, of which I've only heard the Bifrost 2, and I much prefer the Yggdrasil OG, but that's 16" x 12".

Topping and SMSL have lots of compact DACs and some of them seem to found to sound good by some, heh.

There's also the iFi Pro IDSD / Pro iDSD Signature and Mytek Liberty DAC II.

None of those are recommendations, just some things to look at.

If I am honest, I am kinda looking to step above the tier of these dacs to determine if I feel like diving deeper or not. This next dac purchase or two will kind of be a litmus test to determine if I want to stop using my P6 Pro as my main dac given the costs.

Oct 24, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 19
If I am honest, I am kinda looking to step above the tier of these dacs to determine if I feel like diving deeper or not. This next dac purchase or two will kind of be a litmus test to determine if I want to stop using my P6 Pro as my main dac given the costs.
I figured you might. But as you have noticed, the higher tier DACs tend to be bigger. 😅

I found myself space constrained on my desk with all the gear I wanted to compare, so I got an audio rack from Monoprice for under the desk. For now I'm using all four shelves since I'm using my desk as a standing desk, so I have the space. But I could remove one shelf once I am more settled (who knows for how long). This way basically any component fits, and for smaller components I can fit two next to each other, and stack some if needed.

Might not be an option in your case or one you already exhausted, but it doesn't feel good to have to say no to a better component solely for space reasons.

Oct 24, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 19
I figured you might. But as you have noticed, the higher tier DACs tend to be bigger. 😅

I found myself space constrained on my desk with all the gear I wanted to compare, so I got an audio rack from Monoprice for under the desk. For now I'm using all four shelves since I'm using my desk as a standing desk, so I have the space. But I could remove one shelf once I am more settled (who knows for how long). This way basically any component fits, and for smaller components I can fit two next to each other, and stack some if needed.

Might not be an option in your case or one you already exhausted, but it doesn't feel good to have to say no to a better component solely for space reasons.

Yah, I would love to just get an audio rack but most of my listening is at work so I dont want gear that stands out too much (hence the size limitation). TBH I'm half tempted to say screw it, just get a nagra HD, and move on but unfortunately every single one currently on teh market is a scam (Ive messaged all of them -.-)

Oct 24, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 19
Yah, I would love to just get an audio rack but most of my listening is at work so I dont want gear that stands out too much (hence the size limitation). TBH I'm half tempted to say screw it, just get a nagra HD, and move on but unfortunately every single one currently on teh market is a scam (Ive messaged all of them -.-)
I have quickly gotten shameless in that regard. Although I did hide the power conditioner under the desk...

20191022_145559.jpg20191022_145854.jpg

The craziest moment was when I parked an Audio-GD HE-9 on the desk.

P_20180925_161103_vHDR_On_1.jpg

I quickly got a Pangea extension shelf to make that less precarious.

P_20180928_135657_vHDR_On_1.jpg

Of course I've gotten comments over time, but I don't feel like it has been an issue. Nothing ever got stolen, either. Don't know what line of work you're in, though.

The good thing about a DAC is that it doesn't typically get too hot and you don't really need to interact with it if you always use the same input and settings, so maybe you could hide that somewhat discreetly under the desk.

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 19

So very true :wink:

Hello Guys,

I am itching for a bit of a dac upgrade but I'm running into a couple of issues. The main one is that I simply cant fit something with the footprint of a may/la voce/etc. I currently use a P6 Pro (discrete R2R true NOS dap) as my main dac and while it quite good I want to play with some other stuff. What should I look into that is sub 5k USD used and sub, say, 13" (300mm) or so in any given direction? I am honestly at a bit of a loss of what even to look into.

• Xi Sagra
  • COS D2
  • Bricasti M3
  • SW1X DAC 2/3
  • Audiobyte Hydra+Vox
  • Audio Note 2.1
  • Exogal Comet + PS
  • Hibiki Dac
  • Ayre QB-9 Twenty
  • MSB Analog
  • Lessloss Echo's End
If I jump up to the 10k range there is a lot more info on stuff like the Nagra line, Weiss DAC501, Tambaqui, etc, but I dont realy want to jump that high off the bat.

First off, let me ask what particular things you'd like to see in your future purchase other than compact size? Here I mean topology, outputs, utilities etc.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 25, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #9 of 19
Have you considered the Matrix Audio X-Sabre 3? While I wouldn't consider it small footprint it does meet your 13" max criteria, and it isn't the bulkiest either (definitely not as tall as some of the others). And supposedly an incredible dac with streaming capabilities. I am currently considering this one for myself

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 19
I have quickly gotten shameless in that regard. Although I did hide the power conditioner under the desk...

20191022_145559.jpg20191022_145854.jpg

The craziest moment was when I parked an Audio-GD HE-9 on the desk.

P_20180925_161103_vHDR_On_1.jpg

I quickly got a Pangea extension shelf to make that less precarious.

P_20180928_135657_vHDR_On_1.jpg

Of course I've gotten comments over time, but I don't feel like it has been an issue. Nothing ever got stolen, either. Don't know what line of work you're in, though.

The good thing about a DAC is that it doesn't typically get too hot and you don't really need to interact with it if you always use the same input and settings, so maybe you could hide that somewhat discreetly under the desk.

Rofl. Yah, safe to say you are a bit more braisen than I am. Tbh I already get some comments but its mostly just in passing. My real goal is just to have my desk space fly somewhat under the radar when tours are given/investors walk by. I'm not worried about anything disappearing at all.

So very true :wink:

First off, let me ask what particular things you'd like to see in your future purchase other than compact size? Here I mean topology, outputs, utilities etc.

Honestly, no real criteria here. I dont care about ds vs r2r so long as it sounds good, I don't need dsd, I don't care what kind of input works best (ill get an appropriate ddc), or realy about anything asside from aesthetics (small form factor and no tube showing). Ill likely end up getting 2 or 3 different sound sigs from this list to play with iver the comming months to try and nail down what I want on a dac a bit more is why I'm asking for such general reqs.

Have you considered the Matrix Audio X-Sabre 3? While I wouldn't consider it small footprint it does meet your 13" max criteria, and it isn't the bulkiest either (definitely not as tall as some of the others). And supposedly an incredible dac with streaming capabilities. I am currently considering this one for myself

I have not. I was under the impression that was full size (17" wide) so I ignored it. Ill look into it some more.

Oct 27, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #11 of 19
Hello Guys,

• Xi Sagra
  • COS D2
  • Bricasti M3
  • SW1X DAC 2/3
  • Audiobyte Hydra+Vox
  • Audio Note 2.1
  • Exogal Comet + PS
  • Hibiki Dac
  • Ayre QB-9 Twenty
  • MSB Analog
  • Lessloss Echo's End
Audiobyte kinda fits you best in terms of small footprint. Though I've not heard it it is one of 3 dacs I was considering when searching for a dac. I eventually went all in with the wavedream which is made by Audiobyte's sister company. You can consider the wavelight but it is bigger.

Dec 19, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #13 of 19
Honestly, no real criteria here. I dont care about ds vs r2r so long as it sounds good, I don't need dsd, I don't care what kind of input works best (ill get an appropriate ddc), or realy about anything asside from aesthetics (small form factor and no tube showing). Ill likely end up getting 2 or 3 different sound sigs from this list to play with iver the comming months to try and nail down what I want on a dac a bit more is why I'm asking for such general reqs.

OK, let me ask what sound would you like to get from a DAC? Something leaning more towards openness and speed, or substance and warmth? Or maybe something in the middle?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 2, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #14 of 19
OP, what did you end up going with? I am on the hunt for exactly the same thing as you, a TOTL DAC for my Susvara/Enleum amp that doesn't have a giant footprint. I had my eye on a used Bricasti M3 but for various reasons it ended up not happening.

So now I'm back in search mode. I would love a Holo May but the size is just too bug for my space. So looking for something that sounds as good as it or close but in a smaller form factor, If you find something, or if anyone on this thread has further recommendations, please let me know!

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #15 of 19
OP, what did you end up going with? I am on the hunt for exactly the same thing as you, a TOTL DAC for my Susvara/Enleum amp that doesn't have a giant footprint. I had my eye on a used Bricasti M3 but for various reasons it ended up not happening.

So now I'm back in search mode. I would love a Holo May but the size is just too bug for my space. So looking for something that sounds as good as it or close but in a smaller form factor, If you find something, or if anyone on this thread has further recommendations, please let me know!

Honestly, I still haven't decided. It seems like for totl there aren't realy many options. Basicaly just Chord, weiss, and Nagra are the only real options I can find. I have a sagra right now but tbh I'm not super happy with my chain currently (be that because of the dac, the cans, or synergy i honestly can't tell you)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back