SMALL, discreet player?
Mar 7, 2013 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Baten

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys. My trusty Ipod Shuffle 3G just gave its last breath due to unfortunate circumstances, and I'm looking for a replacement,
preferably something with >4GB of space.

Is there such a thing as a high-end super-lightweight music player with enough of GB to fill up?

I remember reading long ago that apple's Shuffle players provided better SQ than its bigger brothers,
but I doubt this is still the case not to mention the current shuffle being 2GB, ugh.

I really don't see much of options, would appreciate some help / insight.

Thanks.

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 5
The Sandisk Clip+ is very small and has a microSDHC card slot, so you can add a 16GB or 32GB card. The 4GB one is only $30 on Amazon. The sound quality is great. It only has around 12 hours of battery life though, and only plays mp3, wma, FLAC or OGG.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 5
Besides the clip+,  you can try the hisound nova n1 or the n3 amazingly powerful tiny and slim player,  you can try to find and read my review on it,  on my specific experience from moving on from ipods

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Is there such a thing as a high-end super-lightweight music player with enough of GB to fill up?

What do you consider to be super lightweight?

If your definition is "as small as the ipod shuffle" then the answer is no. It's not that manufacturers can't build one, but rather the public, the common people no longer see any sense in such a miniature product. When they see it they see...geez, I don't know, very low capacity. So Apple gave it to them.  The public disregard for small size & low weight has led to a general size bloat in everything from phones to cameras, even though there's now more tech than ever for shrinking them.

A way to approach the weightlessness of the shuffle, is a bluetooth receiver (many are similar weight to the shuffle 3G & 4G). Then you can use a larger player or mobile phone as sound source. This may not be what you want, but it's the only way to achieve high capacity in such a small size.

The current ipod nano 7 weighs 31 grams, the nano 6 weighs 21 grams. If you have access to a new or refurbished nano 6, I think it would fulfill your criteria quite well.

I also like the Sandisk Sansa Clip+ (or Clip Zip). They are the standard weight for small mp3 players (around 30g), but the sound is above average, and you can easily use a 32GB card. If you're willing to use Rockbox on these players, they become the most customizable MP3 players ever built, a lot of features, with usability & stability as a minor trade-off.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatofamatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The current ipod nano 7 weighs 31 grams, the nano 6 weighs 21 grams. If you have access to a new or refurbished nano 6, I think it would fulfill your criteria quite well.

I also like the Sandisk Sansa Clip+ (or Clip Zip). They are the standard weight for small mp3 players (around 30g), but the sound is above average, and you can easily use a 32GB card. If you're willing to use Rockbox on these players, they become the most customizable MP3 players ever built, a lot of features, with usability & stability as a minor trade-off.

Thanks. Yeah, the nano 6G seemed interesting, but the touch gimmick seems too much, especially at that price. I better get a Sandisk Sansa. Guess my ears will just have to adjust to a new sound signature (if there will be much of a change).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back