Small Dent in the Grill of My HD-650s :(
Aug 9, 2004 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dabblerblue

100+ Head-Fier
Silly paranoid question time:

So today, I discovered a small dent in the back of my new HD-650s...it's pretty subtle, though. I only noticed it by running my hand over it, so I'm pretty sure it won't bother me when I look at them... *twitch*

I haven't noticed any difference in sound due to this, but I have this nagging suspicion that it might have caused a minor dent in the sound that will become plain to me over time...or I'll be imagining it like an obsessive dork!

No one's ever noticed dents in the grills of their HD-600/650s having an affect on the way they sound, have they?

Aug 9, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 16
no offense meant, but I think you should get a new grill for your HD650...
I don't think "a small dent" in the grills will really change the sound or anything, but it's the matter of the psychological stableness.....I do become quite picky when I find some dents or scratch on my equip, but if they are not major ones, I just tend to forget about them, and rather concentrate on music..

Aug 9, 2004 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 16
I wouldn't worry about it affecting the sound. Lots of us have small dents like that in our HD600s (its metal grill is weaker than the 650s'), and I haven't heard any complaints about changes in the sound. I certainly haven't noticed any sonic aberrations myself. If it bothers you psychologically or cosmetically, it might still be worth it to replace - the grills are easy to take off and I think a replacement pair costs about $10.

Aug 9, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 16
No dents in my 600. I think what keeps mine like that is the realization that these phones are prone to put you to sleep, therefore you need to be extra careful.
600smile.gif

I'd be more worried about what you are doing that causes dents to appear in your phones. My guess is the zzZZzz.

Aug 9, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim D
No dents in my 600. I think what keeps mine like that is the realization that these phones are prone to put you to sleep, therefore you need to be extra careful.
600smile.gif

I'd be more worried about what you are doing that causes dents to appear in your phones. My guess is the zzZZzz.

Hey, now. The only time I doze off while listening to my Senns is when I've had too much to drink late at night and the buzz has worn off
smily_headphones1.gif
Besides, I'd rather doze off to the lush Senn warmth than feel like my ears are being scrubbed with sonic steel wool ala Gratos (or any other bright, "lively" headphone)
wink.gif

Back on topic, I would imagine some Senns come from the factory with minor dents like that. It might take a while after receiving the cans to first notice. Perhaps that's what happened in dabblerblue's case.

Aug 9, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 16
HD 580s are very much dent proof!
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Aug 9, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Altorfer
HD 580s are very much dent proof!
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

That's one of the things I liked about my HD580s, that I could wear them to bed and not worry about damaging them too much if I were to fall asleep and roll over on them or something. I've also tossed it into my backpack and it's seen its share of rough treatment (something that would never happen to my HD650s) and survived quite well. I've only worn the HD650s to bed once, but I took them off right before I went unconscious so nothing happened
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2004 at 9:17 AM Post #9 of 16
The dent should really be inaudible.

And, the last time I ordered replacement grilles for HD580/600, they only sent me "refurbished" grilles that had dents all over.
mad.gif

Anyway, the metal grille is actually quite soft so if you take the grille off (quite easy, just pull it off) and push with a bit of force from the inside to "dent it back out" - it should be easy and if you do it well, the results should be quite nice.

But then, a new question is born... a question of whether the twice-formed metal will have different resonance characteristics compared to the original metal and hence affect the sound... this will haunt you even though your grille is fixed... umhahaha!

BTW, I suffer from the same disease for many things.
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2004 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by md01
I wouldn't worry about it. However, if it really bugs you cosmetically wise, I'm shure it wouldn't be very difficult to take the dent out.

Just goes to show how truly obssessed we are really...

We have successfully changed the spelling of "Sure" to "Shure"
blink.gif
3000smile.gif

I guess another manufacturer to enter the oxford dictionary eh?
plainface.gif
280smile.gif

Aug 13, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 16
Thanks for the replies, all.

I think you've helped set my mind at ease about it, so I won't be bothered with messeing around trying to fix it, since it's so small that no one would ever really see it but me.

I didn't think the dent would cause any difference in sound, but hey, you gotta just be sure sometimes!

Anyways, I think my psychological stableness will be just fine!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
eek.gif
600smile.gif

Aug 13, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 16
Heh, I have a medium-sized dent in my hd 600's from falling asleep while listening to chill music(in bed)...
600smile.gif

How do you pull the grille off?

Aug 13, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
Heh, I have a medium-sized dent in my hd 600's from falling asleep while listening to chill music(in bed)...
600smile.gif

How do you pull the grille off?

use a spoon and push in downward motion under the slit between the two plastic headphone parts, the top part should come off.

edit: the point where you should insert the spoon would be near the top of the earcup, the two different parts of the cup can easily be seen there if you move it a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back