Small amp for volume increase only
Dec 27, 2008 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

zlashed

Head-Fier
I recently purchased a new sound card (HT Omega Claro Plus) and I am very impressed with its performance. However my headphones (Beyerdynamic DT880s) are monsters and require a lot of power to be driven. The volume seems just a bit too low for me even on maximum. I also use the same headphones for my 360 with an audio input (red and white cords from 360) to headphone jack converter because my TV has no jack. I'm looking for a small amp to increase volume only, no need for quality increase (but avoid a decrease, of course). The FiiO E5 seems to be a good choice. I'd like some opinions as well as info on where to buy the suggested amps. Thanks in advance and I await your replies.

Dec 27, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #3 of 19
From a philosophical point of view, I avoid Behringer. They're prone to cloning other companies' products and undercutting the originals through cheaper labour and inferior parts.

The Fiio E5 is powered by USB only. Not a problem as most motherboards have 4 to 8 rear USB ports, plus one or two front-panel ports.

I'm unsure of the 360, however. Don't own one and have never hooked one up.

If your computer and console are in the same room, you're fine with either a portable or mains-powered amp. Of course, a decent full-size enclosure isn't cheap, so entry-level portables tend to be cheaper than desktop components.

Given the price of the E5, I'd pick one up. It serves your purpose, runs for nearly a day on battery power, and given its dimensions, it's entirely feasible to leave it permanently connected to your DT880s.

Dec 27, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 19
Alright thanks a lot Deiz. The 360 is in fact close to my computer and after the conversions is just a simple headphone jack. That means I could easily use the E5 for both. Thanks a lot for the help, but where do you suggest I go about buying one? If anyone else has any other suggestions or information to add, don't hesitate to do so. Thanks.

Dec 27, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 19
I bought mine from MP4Nation. As far as I know, the only two retailers with the E5 right now are MP4Nation and Dealextreme.

I'm unsure of the stock status, though. I ordered my E5 on November 30th, it shipped on December 8, and I received it on the 23rd. On a $25 amplifier, it doesn't really make sense to upgrade shipping.

What do you mean by "conversions"? Dual female RCA to female 1/8" TRS or something?

Dec 27, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #6 of 19
This is just a thought, in case you did not know, high volume does not mean driven properly and low resistance does not equate easily driven.

So I'm wondering if you have thought of trying out other amplifiers to drive your beyers instead of just getting the cheapest one you can find to "increase volume". Moreover, I believe amplifiers affect the sound quite significantly and the E5 will most definitely change the sound that you like so much, for better or for worse, it's a change nonetheless.

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is just a thought, in case you did not know, high volume does not mean driven properly and low resistance does not equate easily driven.

So I'm wondering if you have thought of trying out other amplifiers to drive your beyers instead of just getting the cheapest one you can find to "increase volume". Moreover, I believe amplifiers affect the sound quite significantly and the E5 will most definitely change the sound that you like so much, for better or for worse, it's a change nonetheless.

Given their 250 ohm impedance and 96 dB sensitivity, I'd say they happily fall within the "pig" category.

Granted, if driven at maximum volume (effectively line-level) they should not be having any volume issues.

A source and amplifier certainly do affect the signal, but from my listening I'd not say the Fiio is a bad piece of kit, especially at the price.

It's really not a bad introduction. Certainly better than any on-board headphone output, and if he ends up hating it (I personally rather doubt that) he's out $25, as opposed to several hundred if he were to purchase a higher-end amp.

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #8 of 19
I cannot comment on the sound of the fiio since I've not heard tried them out first hand. My reasoning is simple, instead of spending $25 and then deciding to upgrade, go with a amp that has proven synergy with the beyers (From reviews), a home based amp that has more potential to drive the cans properly.

I mean seriously, you're the one with the GS-X, so why spend so much on a home-based amplifier? Even Grado enthusiasts use amplifiers despite their headphones being only 32 ohms.

PS, I've just read through my post, and found that it sounds slightly rude, it's not on purpose, sorry.

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot comment on the sound of the fiio since I've not heard tried them out first hand. My reasoning is simple, instead of spending $25 and then deciding to upgrade, go with a amp that has proven synergy with the beyers (From reviews), a home based amp that has more potential to drive the cans properly.

I mean seriously, you're the one with the GS-X, so why spend so much on a home-based amplifier? Even Grado enthusiasts use amplifiers despite their headphones being only 32 ohms.

PS, I've just read through my post, and found that it sounds slightly rude, it's not on purpose, sorry.

I think we have a mutual misunderstanding. I'm not trying to be combative here, and didn't perceive your post as such.

Anyhow, the way I see it, the Fiio could be a good learning experience for him. He might decide he likes an amplifier over the output of his sound card, and go from there with a desktop system. If he has no preference, he's got a handy volume booster for $25.

I'm not really a portable fan. I think portable kit loses its price edge very quickly and you start paying out the nose for more functionality to be crammed into a too-small enclosure. That, and on the odd occasion that I bring my iPod with me, I find I'm usually in no position to listen critically.

Re: Impedance and sensitivity, Grados aren't pigs by any means, but they're not terribly efficient, either. Plus, there's always the sound quality rationale - Sure, you could buy K26Ps, feed them with an iPod and output around 137 dB, but you'd get better sound out of a GLite due to its much lower noise floor and cleaner amplification. Not to mention you could go deaf that much faster, the K26Ps would be capable of 155 dB.

Dec 27, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 19
I see what you mean. Anyway, let's let the thread starter decide.

Dec 27, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #11 of 19
I have nothing to say on the fiio; but STAY AWAY from behringer they are a load of crap. they have made a few decent units over the years. my ADA8000 being one of them. but in all they are shoddily made and the quality is very hit and miss. one unit may be great nd another of the same model might be absolute dogs balls. for a while they were outputting some consistent quality; but then the new hi tech mechanized manufacturing plant exploded. so I would stay away if I were you.

but sure if all you are after is volume go for the E5 but you may soon find that you wouldnt mind some better quality as well

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 19
Thanks a lot for all of the replies so far, but I seem to be getting a lot of mixed responses. I think if I narrow down what I'm asking a bit I can get some specific responses. After spending around $170.00 on my sound card, I have no interest in spending a lot of money on an amp to increase the sound quality with which I am sufficiently pleased already. I'm just looking for an amp that will increase volume without a noticeable loss in quality. It doesn't necessarily have to be portable, just cheap. I'd say around $50.00 would be my cap. I appreciate all of the replies so for and I await more. Thanks.

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 19
For Deiz who was wondering about the conversions -

I have a small piece of equpiment that accepts the red and white audio RCA cables from my 360 and outputs them into a 1/4" headphone jack.

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #14 of 19
I would go with the E5. It seems to be all that you really need. Anyway, the other people that are recommending more expensive amps are right that they will sound a bit better, but really, if theyre not in your budget, just go with the E5.

Dec 27, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by zlashed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot for all of the replies so far, but I seem to be getting a lot of mixed responses. I think if I narrow down what I'm asking a bit I can get some specific responses. After spending around $170.00 on my sound card, I have no interest in spending a lot of money on an amp to increase the sound quality with which I am sufficiently pleased already. I'm just looking for an amp that will increase volume without a noticeable loss in quality. It doesn't necessarily have to be portable, just cheap. I'd say around $50.00 would be my cap. I appreciate all of the replies so for and I await more. Thanks.

As I said with regard to price, it's tough to get decent sounding, well built components for prices competitive with the lowest-end portables, as good enclosures often cost $50-100+.

In the portable arena, there's the Fiio E5 ($25, with free but slow shipping), Travagan's Colours ($50-60, don't know about shipping) and you can source a CMOY on eBay ($35 plus $7 shipping, from a reputable builder).

I don't know of many low-cost decent desktop amps, there was some quirky unit that had balanced 1/4" TRS inputs, which in addition to being clunky, is also unknown regarding sound quality.

China's king when it comes to low-cost. Cheap labour, cheap parts. You can get this for $56 shipped and it's pretty flexible. A DAC and amplifier for $56 is pretty nice, but it's not without its quirks. Digital and analog inputs with no selector, and you'd almost certainly not use the DAC as it's going to be inferior to what your sound card has, interference aside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back