SM3 Vs UM3x vs ?
Jan 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #16 of 32

Quote:

Quote:
I find the SM3's to be absolutely wonderful. While they are an expensive purchase, I stopped visiting head-fi as soon as they arrived in the mail as I didnt feel I needed anything better. It cured me.

Apparently that's not quite true. 
rolleyes.gif

wink_face.gif

ksc75smile.gif

ahahahha, actually the SM3 isn't to bad $340 shipped to me compared to about $350 for UM3x and $430 for Westone 4

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #17 of 32

Quote:
thanks mate! appreciate it, though quick question out of like brief memory how would you compare the UM3x bass to the SF5 pros? quantity wise, i know the quality would be much higher in the Um3x but just wondering...

I never owned the more well-known dual-driver SF5 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ulltimate-Ears-Super-Pro-Clear/dp/B000KFSF2A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1296498502&sr=8-3) but the single driver SF5 v2 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Ears-Super-silver-earphones/dp/B001CW13UQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296498502&sr=8-1) -- the UM3X is a much better sounding IEM

Quote:
Just a question for music_4321. Are you always using an amp with your Sony A847 when you're UM3x are connected? Or can it drive them alone without problem?

I never use an amp, both amps I had were sold over 1.5 years ago -- the UM3X (& ES3X), both very sensitive IEMs, are absolutely fine with the A847.

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #18 of 32
Oh righto, my bad. I'm confused now some people are saying the SM3's are bassier than the Um3x and some say it's the other way around? I'm lost... I don't want that much quantity but I wouldn't want them to be like a ATH "Anemic" bass, I like being able to feel the kickdrums when listening to parkway drive, but at the same time good mids!

Pretty much I want a much better TF10, i.e. more controlled bass, and much more forward mids? and geeze the "FOTM" 6 months grr I can't wait that long I want these before I go back to uni :frowning2:

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #19 of 32
okay I've decided I'll definitely keep the TF10's problem with tf10's, there are some songs where things just 'jump out of no where'? like a sudden spike in the highs or lows and when I'm studying it's like SHOOOT, not very easy to try and concentrate to or relax, in other words I want a laid back IEM but at the same time still have the sonic abilities of TF10s not like the IE7s which were TOOOOO laid back for me and mids IMO were so recessed when listening to Parkway Drive/Underoath etc.

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #20 of 32

Quote:
I find the SM3's to be absolutely wonderful. While they are an expensive purchase, I stopped visiting head-fi as soon as they arrived in the mail as I didnt feel I needed anything better. It cured me.

Quote:

Quote:

Apparently that's not quite true. 
rolleyes.gif

wink_face.gif

ksc75smile.gif

The poor boys having a relapse ,there is no known cure for head-fi syndrome ! 
ksc75smile.gif
popcorn.gif

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #21 of 32

Quote:
Oh righto, my bad. I'm confused now some people are saying the SM3's are bassier than the Um3x and some say it's the other way around? I'm lost... I don't want that much quantity but I wouldn't want them to be like a ATH "Anemic" bass, I like being able to feel the kickdrums when listening to parkway drive, but at the same time good mids!

Pretty much I want a much better TF10, i.e. more controlled bass, and much more forward mids? and geeze the "FOTM" 6 months grr I can't wait that long I want these before I go back to uni :frowning2:

Ultimately it's your decision, obviously, but to these ears - and I've said this time and time again - all 3 frequencies are rendered much more accurately on the UM3X than on the SM3.

Now, when you say "I want a much better TF10", I think you may have unrealistic expectations. I've often found that people tend to ignore older products in favour of new ones, and exaggerating the qualities of a new AND expensive IEM is not uncommon, hence the term FOTM. There's more to it that that, but won't go into stuff I've said many times over, eg we believe we remember what our previous IEMs sounded like, when often that is not the case.

I loved the TF10's SQ overall, and they're quite likely the second best universal IEM I've heard (followed very closely by the CK100). However, I found the bass on the UM3X more refined, with plenty of quantity and also better quality, more tight and better defined than the TF10. As for the mids, the most important frequency, in my view, the UM3X wins hands down. High frequencies were better rendered by the TF10s, but not by much. The cable, though, AND ergonomics of the UM3X are also significantly better than those of the TF10.

Bear in mind some of these differences are subtle for the average listener, though the differences between the UM3X and SM3 (and SE535) were not that subtle.

I can understand very well how you feel - specially after reading so many often contradictory views - but ultimately you'll have to make a decision. My advice - if you're 'desperate' to get something VERY soon - is to get something that will have a fairly decent re-sale value. At least, if it turns out not to be your cup of tea, you may still get about 80% of what you paid.

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #22 of 32

Quote:
Quote:
thanks mate! appreciate it, though quick question out of like brief memory how would you compare the UM3x bass to the SF5 pros? quantity wise, i know the quality would be much higher in the Um3x but just wondering...

I never owned the more well-known dual-driver SF5 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ulltimate-Ears-Super-Pro-Clear/dp/B000KFSF2A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1296498502&sr=8-3) but the single driver SF5 v2 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Ears-Super-silver-earphones/dp/B001CW13UQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296498502&sr=8-1) -- the UM3X is a much better sounding IEM

Quote:
Just a question for music_4321. Are you always using an amp with your Sony A847 when you're UM3x are connected? Or can it drive them alone without problem?

I never use an amp, both amps I had were sold over 1.5 years ago -- the UM3X (& ES3X), both very sensitive IEMs, are absolutely fine with the A847.

In fact I have currently a Cowon S9 and I wanted to know if the UM3x could be driven greatly by my S9. What do you think, I mean in term of power mainly. 

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #23 of 32
^^  Believe me, you can go deaf with the A847 and UM3X combo. And I do have the EU version with a volume cap! The TF10s, on the other hand, were less sensitive and required more volume from the A847, but were still perfect and very loud, if necessary, with 97% of all my music.

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #24 of 32

Quote:

Quote:

Ultimately it's your decision, obviously, but to these ears - and I've said this time and time again - all 3 frequencies are rendered much more accurately on the UM3X than on the SM3.

Now, when you say "I want a much better TF10", I think you may have unrealistic expectations. I've often found that people tend to ignore older products in favour of new ones, and exaggerating the qualities of a new AND expensive IEM is not uncommon, hence the term FOTM. There's more to it that that, but won't go into stuff I've said many times over, eg we believe we remember what our previous IEMs sounded like, when often that is not the case.

I loved the TF10's SQ overall, and they're quite likely the second best universal IEM I've heard (followed very closely by the CK100). However, I found the bass on the UM3X more refined, with plenty of quantity and also better quality, more tight and better defined than the TF10. As for the mids, the most important frequency, in my view, the UM3X wins hands down. High frequencies were better rendered by the TF10s, but not by much. The cable, though, AND ergonomics of the UM3X are also significantly better than those of the TF10.

Bear in mind some of these differences are subtle for the average listener, though the differences between the UM3X and SM3 (and SE535) were not that subtle.

I can understand very well how you feel - specially after reading so many often contradictory views - but ultimately you'll have to make a decision. My advice - if you're 'desperate' to get something VERY soon - is to get something that will have a fairly decent re-sale value. At least, if it turns out not to be your cup of tea, you may still get about 80% of what you paid.

you have just sold me a pair of UM3x's! I'll contact earphone solutions to see how much they can sell the UM3x for, Thanks a lot!

Feb 1, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #25 of 32
I've had both for nearly 3 months until I decided to sell the UM3X.
The bottom line was basically the sound-stage.
While I could enjoy UM3X dryer and more pronouced mids, it was also what dragged me away.
It was the feeling of everything being so close to you, after listening to Metallica's S&M with the SM3, it was easy to point out the flaws with the UM3X.
Besides that, I do believe the SM3 has the edge on the highs with the right tip, and the bass is at least on par(faster/liquid I could say, but impact is more dependent on volume).

Feb 1, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:
you have just sold me a pair of UM3x's! I'll contact earphone solutions to see how much they can sell the UM3x for, Thanks a lot!

Hi, I'm (not-so) new here, had been reading up Head-fi since last year, but just registered. Like matto, I'm also bedazzled by all the reviews comments to and fro regarding UM3XRC and the SM3. I was already set on buying the UM3XRC at Earphone Solutions, when somehow I've read somewhere "SM3 > UM3X" kind of threads. That was about 3 weeks ago
blink.gif

I'm not sure I'm considered an audiophile or not, I do appreciate music, especially orchestral (but not classic), probably not as much as most high-end users here. I don't even have nice gears. UM3X is going to be my big jump from stock Cowon earbuds
biggrin.gif

So, I feel like matto's case is almost similar as mine. I was, in the beginning eyeing TF10. Then UM3X. At this point, UM3X is already in 'My Cart' at Earphone Solutions.  Then I got lost among "SM3 vs UM3X" reviews. UM3X still in 'My Cart'. Then I've read about new 'contenders' Final Heaven S and Ortofon eQ7... oh dear....haven't even read up on these 2 yet! Lol, my wife's already shocked I'm shelling out more than $20 for earphones
wink.gif

I know most people say "Why not go try listening to it?" Hmmm...I'm at Australia, and there's only a few shops selling high end audio gears and they're pretty much inaccessible to me.

From what I've read so far, I feel my tastes are kinda similar to music_4321. BTW, excellent magnificent reviews and comments. Kudos to you!
beerchug.gif
  Lol, at one point, I've even been swayed by your review of ATH CK100, but was 'relieved' when you sold it in the end, albeit almost reluctantly XD

Well, more reading up for me to do
eek.gif
Good luck with your UM3X, matto!

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #27 of 32
soundstage and presentation wise with the um3x, being so inimate and close is a reason why i will never get the um3x

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #28 of 32
@ramzax we should move to the U.S. ^^ cheaper cars, BY A LONG SHOT, and of course access to technology unlike Australia sheesh, and thanks mate but I haven't actually placed my order in just yet almost cicked that button it's still in my cart but thought I'll try "resist" for as long as possible that is until I can't wait any longer and make my decision on that day lol.

Feb 1, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #29 of 32

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Something tells me you're not quite convinced yet.

Quote:
Quote:

Hi, I'm (not-so) new here, had been reading up Head-fi since last year, but just registered. Like matto, I'm also bedazzled by all the reviews comments to and fro regarding UM3XRC and the SM3. I was already set on buying the UM3XRC at Earphone Solutions, when somehow I've read somewhere "SM3 > UM3X" kind of threads. That was about 3 weeks ago
blink.gif

I'm not sure I'm considered an audiophile or not, I do appreciate music, especially orchestral (but not classic), probably not as much as most high-end users here. I don't even have nice gears. UM3X is going to be my big jump from stock Cowon earbuds
biggrin.gif

So, I feel like matto's case is almost similar as mine. I was, in the beginning eyeing TF10. Then UM3X. At this point, UM3X is already in 'My Cart' at Earphone Solutions.  Then I got lost among "SM3 vs UM3X" reviews. UM3X still in 'My Cart'. Then I've read about new 'contenders' Final Heaven S and Ortofon eQ7... oh dear....haven't even read up on these 2 yet! Lol, my wife's already shocked I'm shelling out more than $20 for earphones
wink.gif

I know most people say "Why not go try listening to it?" Hmmm...I'm at Australia, and there's only a few shops selling high end audio gears and they're pretty much inaccessible to me.

From what I've read so far, I feel my tastes are kinda similar to music_4321. BTW, excellent magnificent reviews and comments. Kudos to you!
beerchug.gif
  Lol, at one point, I've even been swayed by your review of ATH CK100, but was 'relieved' when you sold it in the end, albeit almost reluctantly XD

Well, more reading up for me to do
eek.gif
Good luck with your UM3X, matto!

Hey, thanks for the kind words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back