SM3 distortion problem...help!
Jul 15, 2005 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been happily listening to my SM3 for one week and today I've started to get A LOT of distortion (mostly in the low ends when bass and drums kick in or crescendo).

The AC adapter Xin sent me was defective so I am waiting for a replacement and running on alkaline only. My initial thought/hope is that I need to replace the batteries. The LED is still bright as can be and on my Micro amp that gets less bright as the power wears down, not the same with the SM3??? It's been running an average of 6 hours a day for about 5-6 days and powering either my E4c's or my DT770-250.

Thoughts anyone??? I took the batteries out and everything looks clean inside but the distortion is consistent in anything I listen to and my E4c are now sounding better straight out of my iRiver H10!

Anyone know if this is simply battery life or if the problem is larger???

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 9
Well, did you try some fresh batteries yet? I would. Had the funniest effect of run-down battery on my super micro two days ago. Usually I just get some bassy buzz, but this time I got a swoop signal, it actually worked its way up again
tongue.gif
Had the battery in there for weeks, a clear sign that I use the amp too little. Good that I have found an effective countermeasure for that.

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 9
I'd have to agree with the preceeding posts.

If there's any distortion, it's most likely due to drained batteries. I experienced the same thing when my batteries died. And remember, those AD797s require the most juice out of all the commonly-used opamps, so 30-36 hrs of use is about right.

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 9
I would think so too. Alkaline batteries have a slow drain-down period during which they get weaker [size=xx-small]and [/size] [size=xx-small]weaker[/size]. Lithiums run at full power until they're ready to go...then they abruptly (and loudly) squawk at you and die the harsh death.

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 9
Well that's what I thought and while I'd rather it be batteries than a defect I was hoping these would last me until Xin got my new AC adapter to me. Oh well...
Any recommendations on rechargeables???

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 9
I would think it's pretty obvious..change the batteries ...before resorting to a post on these forums!!

Jul 15, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by guido
I would think it's pretty obvious..change the batteries ...before resorting to a post on these forums!!

There have been various posts about minor SM3 issues such as distortion and not all of them are battery related.
Ever heard of process of elimination? My initial thought was the batteries I just wanted to run it by a few people so go moderate and attack somewhere else friend.

Jul 15, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 9
I use 850mA NiMH from WallMart. Alkalines drain slow whereas the rechargables when they die do it real quick and the distortion lasts for about 30 seconds. With alk it can last for some time.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back