Slingbox - anyone?
Oct 24, 2006 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
Anyone have actual experience with a Slingbox? Opinions from actual users most welcome.

TIA.

Oct 24, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 3
I bought one last year. I use it to stream my tv signal to my computer where I dont have a tv hookup. I used it remotely at my in laws last Christmas- the connection was barely passable, but they had a slow connection on their end. Never tested the remote connection otherwise, but the software has been updated several times since then. In the house, the connection is great although pixilated as video usually is when displayed on a pc monitor.

It is a very easy thing to hook up. Remote connection is very simple as well. If you have a cable box/dvr/dvdplayer/ with on demand (like Moxi), it is a very versitile mobile player. They have a few new options now as well- an av (the original?), a tuner (not sure what that is) and an hd capable model. You can also stream it to your smartphone/pocketpc phone if you have a wireless broadband connection.

Its easy and works as advertised for my purposes.

Oct 24, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 3
I have had mine for about a year also. I have watched on my computer from the office and once from a hotel room that had high speed wireless access. The last software upgrade was a big improvement in picture quality, but still a little on the soft side.

Here is a neat trick I did with it. My daughter wanted to watch something I had recorded on dishnetwork's dvr. My wife called me from home and couldn't figure it out. I had her turn on the TV and switch to the dish input and I started the movie from my office. She was baffled at how I did it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back