Slight CD3000 refurbishment (not too 56k unfriendly)
Nov 12, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #31 of 59
very nice! so you took out the belt holders completely? ripped the original padding and replaced it with black leather? I'm scared of screwing up the belt system, plus there seems to be some very thin foam under the original padding
redface.gif

a french guy refurbished it w/ a CD750 assembly and painted the cups(the guy he bought it from had already painted them in black): [Question] sony mdr-cd 3000/sony the king et autres raretés - Forum GenerationMP3

you didn't recable it dual ended? some ppl(like Denon) think it'd improve SQ(better phase control), but I cannot stand having 2 wires hanging...1 is cool.

and why not a killer jack plug while you're at it? put a furutech
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #33 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very nice! so you took out the belt holders completely? ripped the original padding and replaced it with black leather? I'm scared of screwing up the belt system, plus there seems to be some very thin foam under the original padding
redface.gif

Yeah i stripped everything. Its actually pretty hard to screw up the belt system though i didn't actually remove the elastic as it is secured by plastic which would need to be broken to remove it. The thin layer of foam is actually secured with thin plastic strips. I cut down the bottom middle join of the plastic strip and removed the foam. Then, when i stitched the leather up, i placed the foam and plastic strips back so that the plastic of the headband was covered. I guess this could be more easily explained with more pictures but I really can't be bothered taking it all apart and redoing it to post it up. Sorry. I don't think you should be overly worried with damaging the headband. Just make sure that when you restitch it, that the belt holders are in the right direction and not twisted.

Quote:

you didn't recable it dual ended? some ppl(like Denon) think it'd improve SQ(better phase control), but I cannot stand having 2 wires hanging...1 is cool.

and why not a killer jack plug while you're at it? put a furutech
very_evil_smiley.gif

I didn't want to drill an ugly hole in the other cup. It is basically the same as dual entry. I have four wires, two for each cup. The original setup was that the two drivers shared a ground wire. I have split the ground channels now and each driver has its own ground wire. I think this is the best way to do it but getting two wires through that hole at the top of the earcups is a pain. I used 24awg teflon coated wire that was about 1.1-2 mm in diameter and it just barely fit two wires. Any thicker and it wouldn't have been possible. If you wanted to recable yours i would recommend 26awg wire for the wiring between the cups.

I'm not a big believer in jacks. Furutech jacks to Australia would be like $40aud which is more than i spent on the entire recable job + leather.

Heading to China on Monday to visit some relatives. I'll look into getting some leather earpads made while i'm there. The leather that i bought on ebay is extremely soft. It's actually a little worrying as when i was sewing, the pressure you put on the leather makes it stretch and deform which made my initial measurements quite off. With the earpads, the measurements would need to be even more precise. Anyway i'll see how they turn out and report back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:Still waiting on those ebay pads.

Last time I got the pads took 9 days to arrive.

Yeahhh it's been around 12 days now. My luck with overseas postage has been pretty cruddy as of late. Took more than 3 weeks for my leather to arrive from Canada. I actually resorted to filing a paypal dispute as the vendor didn't reply to my emails. The day i filed a dispute was the day the leather arrived. Maybe i should do that with the pads as well.

Nov 14, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #34 of 59
hehe ok, some pics would have been nice indeed
redface.gif

if for whatever reason you redo the top padding, I'd love to see how the belt system goes through please....I've been constantly stunned by my cd1k for the past 15 years, I definitely cannot picture myself ripping it in pieces
khamal.gif

I will redo the headband, though w/ some black lambskin(that's the only part that touches my hair anyway)...still busy rolling op-amps atm, but I think the LT1469 makes for a nice DAC output to feed OPA-Earth(as final buffer)....that you should really try btw, it's a dream chip on our headphones, 270 degrees SS is nothing to sneeze at
wink_face.gif

I'll compare it to the new burson next week, it's supposed to be a slight improvement
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #35 of 59
I started a similar project about a year and a half ago... bought a CD3K frame with no drivers, and decided the JVC-1000 drivers were worth a shot. Got a local leather guy to sew me two sets of lambskin pads (leather sourced from eBay).

Then I was deciding on wood cups, even though I have the stock covers. The wood of choice is elm (in this case, Siberian, grown in a cold climate to get thinner growth rings), and basically hacked by hand to fit, trying to approximate SOME of both the R-10 dimensions, and the JVC-1000 (or whatever it's actual model number)... a 50mm hole, 2" deep, angled like the stock cd3k drivers.

I basically had to abandon all the mounting hardware except the frame, where the cups are simply screwed in, but I have yet to finish the driver mounting... that is for this Christmas break, as I have two weeks off.

So, for now - here is some pron:

R9_005.jpg

Not a cheap project, as it is about $600 to date, and the hd800 happened in the mean time, so this is just sitting... BUT, I did make TWO sets of cups...
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #36 of 59
nice! but working the inside of the wooden cups would need drivers, innit? these are used for internal reflections, and Larry is very secretive of what he does inside his darth cans...and so is SONY on the R10.

I've got a prestine CD850 I'd love to mod w/ some new drivers...but it doesn't exactly look like child's play to fit new drivers in. I guess DX1k drivers would be the best choice indeed, but they cost like $150 a pop? that's not exactly a cheap experiment..

I wonder where to get decent closed drivers for cheap? maybe I should ask Foster for samples
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #37 of 59
Quote:

I wonder where to get decent closed drivers for cheap? maybe I should ask Foster for samples
biggrin.gif

Superlux HD660, that is an old rebranded Beyer. The folks in the german forum state that its sound is very very decent.
3595_2.JPG

Nov 14, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #38 of 59
ouh, very nice! I still wonder how to fit them in the original drivers enclosures
redface.gif

but an angled beyer would be really neat..OTOH, aren't these Chinese fakes?

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

nice! but working the inside of the wooden cups would need drivers, innit? these are used for internal reflections, and Larry is very secretive of what he does inside his darth cans...and so is SONY on the R10.

I've got a prestine CD850 I'd love to mod w/ some new drivers...but it doesn't exactly look like child's play to fit new drivers in. I guess DX1k drivers would be the best choice indeed, but they cost like $150 a pop? that's not exactly a cheap experiment..

biggrin.gif

The JVC drivers were $293 shipped to me... and, they have some very detailed pics posted of THEIR housings, which actually made of a hard wood (walnut, iirc). Since I am friends with another well known cable guy, who works on r10 with regularity, I have outstanding closeup interior shots of the r10 cups.

As for other choices, the ATH w10 drivers are also 50mm, and seem to be a good choice for a closed alternative, if you like their signature (I do).

In my case, I have a 2" (51mm) Forstner bit, which tapped out just the right cavern for the drivers, then I also scooped out the bottom to make it concave rather than flat. I just don't like the idea of 90degree surfaces reflecting waves.

Finally, mine are balanced / differential.

This is a better inventory of my project status:

cd3k.jpg

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #40 of 59
How did it turn out to sound?

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #41 of 59
Still in queue... long story, but hoping to finish it at Christmas.

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #42 of 59
good point! as long as I get 50mm drivers, they will fit nicely
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd love to see those R10 interiors shots if you don't mind, I can sign a NDA
biggrin.gif

I'd also be interested to see what's inside the darth beyers too, but apparently they'd be pretty hard to open...Larry wanna keeps his secrets to his grave
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #43 of 59
No NDA required...

R10Innards.jpg

and...

06.jpg

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #45 of 59
And, while we are here, the dx1k housings...

DX1000Angle.jpg

dx1000.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back