Slider pot for volume control?
Oct 27, 2007 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MH79

100+ Head-Fier
Is it possible to use a slider pot instead of a knob pot as an in line volume control?

I'm planning on using a 60mm 10k log slider - or would linear be better?

Also, I can only find sliders that have a power rating of 0.2W - is it me or is that really low? Would it be able to handle line level stuff ok?

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 13
Use log, and 0.2W is massive overkill for volume pot duty
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 13
Ok, gonna order a log one... Also, 10k should be ok shouldn't it?
Would I be able to get away with 0.1W then, the only sliders farnell sell are between 0.1W and 0.2W.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 13
The only reason you don't see people using sliders is that it's a lot easier to drill a round mounting hole than cut a long straight slot for a slider.

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #6 of 13
Also, there are a number of excellent stereo log round pots to choose from (e.g., Alps, Noble, TKD, and others), but there aren't good stereo sliders available to the DIYer. Ergonomically, a slider is also inferior because it's easy to bump the knob and change the volume inadvertently.

Oct 28, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 13
No there's more reasons. They take up more space. They're easier unitentially moved, like in a pocket. The good ones are very expensive and the bad ones goes bad a lot sooner than a knob pot - oxidation with scratchy sound, and they usually collects dust. Be prepared to have electronic cleaner spray at hand
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #8 of 13
I agree, sliders get nasty fast. Even professional recording consoles used to come with cleaning kits, as the rails would get static crackling problems.

How about an inline multi-stage attenuation switch? If you need more range, a small sealed pot is best.

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 13
Ok, a knob may be a better option then...

Here's the slider I was looking at...

http://www.farnell.com - part number 1191728

I need a stereo version of it tho.

I was going to use it as volume control for a balanced setup, that way I can have the channels at a matched volume by simply having the sliders side by side, in the same position.

I think I might try and get a 4 pole pot instead.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHunt79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to use it as volume control for a balanced setup, that way I can have the channels at a matched volume by simply having the sliders side by side, in the same position.

That'd be a big assumption on your part that the pots would track the same, i.e. same slider position = same amount of attenuation. In my opinion you're much better off going with a 4-gang pot.

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That'd be a big assumption on your part that the pots would track the same, i.e. same slider position = same amount of attenuation. In my opinion you're much better off going with a 4-gang pot.

Doh, I forgot about that!
redface.gif

I couldn't find any 4 gang pots at RS or Farnell... So I'm about to order this... I've found a 6 gang one, with a motor, which is a little overkill:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7571039924

Will this be ok? I tried to look up the part number, and I couldn't find any info this model, no datasheets or anything. I really need to know if it's log or lin.

Also, I assume I could just leave the motor unwired?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back