Sleeping with in-ear phones
Mar 10, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #16 of 25
Thanks for all the replies! As for strangling myself, I know it is a valid concern but the stopping of the music (sleep timer is awesome!) wakes me up enough to remove my 320 and earphones. Even if I happened to not wake up after the music is off, once I fall asleep I stay where I am. I think I am still leaning towards the er6i's...I think. I'd like to have a go at building my own amp, so even if they don't provide enough bass without, I'll have the amp to save the day. Thanks all!

Mar 10, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #17 of 25
I've slept with: EX-51 e2c, e3c and ER-4 with shure triflanges and ER-4 (Xin mod).

Point of reference: I don't sleep with a pillow and most of the time I'm on my side.

EX-51: Cheapest phone so there's not really a lot of risk if you damage them. Since the hard plastic drapes down, it presses down near the bottom of the ear. I couldn't take it for very long and the uneven cord length stinks. They don't isolate very well either.

e2c: Sort of pokes out of the ear but not horrible. Able to sleep but takes some getting use to.

e3c: Best for sleeping; small size and over the ears makes it non-obtrusive.

Note: Shure has a great 2 year, nearly no questions asked warranty. So don't worry if your shures get damage by pulling on the cord or whatever.

ER-4(P) with shure triflange: Flange made it long enough so I could bend the phones down without muffling the canal where the sound travels. Best detail of course but it takes some getting use to. I wouldn't try this since it's the most expensive and the cable is much more flimsy.

ER-4P (Xin mod): Bliss. If you can find one of these still around, you're in a for a treat. Nearly as comfortable as the e3c yet still full Ety sound.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Mar 10, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #18 of 25
How can you guys sleep with any headphones in, or on depending... I listen to them before I go to sleep, but I always take them out, or off depending...

Of course I'm one of those that can't fall asleep with music or a movie on so maybe it's just me. I've never fallen asleep with any headphones on and I don't imagine myself doing so. I can fall asleep with a movie on if I'm just completely exhausted but normally I gotta turn it off before I can sleep.

I couldn't even imagine laying on my side with anything in or on my ears, and I never sleep on my back. So I don't know. The ER-4Ps I have don't seem like they'd be very comfortable to sleep in at all. I would imagine waking up in pain after rolling around all night... if not waking up with broke headphones.

Mar 10, 2005 at 7:50 AM Post #19 of 25
The best fit ive had is the EX71 or the sharp MD33, these are the most comfortable to sleep with. My brother took my sharps and gave me his E2s so now i have 2 sets of E2s so this is what im using now. The EX71 i used for about 3-4 months but the cable broke, i must of turned and ripped the cable in my sleep and one side quit working.

The E2s hurt my ear stock but i did that EX71 tip mod thing where you cut the plastic tube down a little and it feels alot better when sleeping with them this way. Since the tube is shorter it fits further in the ear and doesnt seem to poke my ear like they did stock. I usualy poke a little hole in my pillow with my thumb and it creates a little dent in the pillow and i lay on that little dent and its more comfortable this way. IMO the E2s are very durable, the cables are strong and rugged. Since they are molded around the cable i dont see them pulling out any time soon.

Mar 10, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #20 of 25
just make sure it's consentual
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #21 of 25
i sleep with my ety's 6Ri all the time!
i even fall asleep with the phones still in my ears
after a couple hours i wake up and pull em out
it's really no problem

Mar 10, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #22 of 25
I slept with my E3C's (with Foamies) in last night and my alarm clock was next to my head... It was going off for 15 minutes and I didn't hear it!!!

Ooops!

Mar 10, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #23 of 25
I can sleep with my MD33S in without a problem, I barely feel them.
Slept with them in on the bus today, no problem at all.

Mar 10, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #24 of 25
I sleep with my Shure E5C in all the time. Very comfortable, especially with the foamies. Sleeping on my side and they just disapear. I do have to have more pillow support on my chin than directly under my ear, but other than that, I do it all the time. I used to sleep with open or semi closed earphones lying on my back with the pillow trick, but 1. This is definetly more comfortable and 2. Doesn't disturb my girlfriend.

For the ultimate in in ear canal sleeping, I would think that the molded Sensaphonic 2xs (soft pro) or UE 10s would "disapear" the most.

Mar 10, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by crules1111
..snip are comfortable enough to sleep on your side in?..snip

E2, E3 and E5 but never the ER4. My favorite is the E3 with either the foamies or the shorter ETY triflanges. E2 is a bit big but ok with a soft pillow. E5 is pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back