Sleeping with in-ear phones
Mar 10, 2005 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

crules1111

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone who uses in-ear phones can tell me if they are comfortable enough to sleep on your side in? I searched around a little bit but didn't come up with a definitive answer. I am particularly interested in the ety er6i's or the shure e2's. (I know there is a difference in sound there, but this question will partially determine which one's I choose.) I am leaning toward the er6i's but I can't tell from any of the pic's I've seen online how far, if at all, they are angled. Some pictures of the phones by themselves look like the phone would stick straight out, and I would like to avoid that. Thanks

Mar 10, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 25
Personally, I couldn't do it. Also, I'd worry about tossing and turning quite possibly leading to damage to the phones or the cables. Not worth the risk IMO but hey, whatever floats your boat.
icon10.gif

Mar 10, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 25
I had a problem with the e2cs, but if I sleep on my back, instead of the side of my head, I was fine. I also was fine if I sort of cupped my hand around my ear while sleeping, to put the pressure on my hand instead of my ear. Sounds complicated but you'll figure it out.

Of course they were never comfy enough for me to last that long. Although foamies are very very comfortable. I dont' know how much longer I can use these crappy EX71 sleeves. Can't wait for the officials to come.

Mar 10, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 25
Although sound quality may not be the best, I would highly recommend Sony EX51 for sleeping canal phone. They are very soft and apply virtually no pressure around ear canal compare to Shure/Ety. Fitting is a tad bit looser than Ety or Shure but can't get any more comfortable than Sony (they are like wearing nothing at all). When properly inserted, they are plush or stay below your ear line so you can sleep on your side while wearing Sony.

Mar 10, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
Although sound quality may not be the best, I would highly recommend Sony EX51 for sleeping canal phone. They are very soft and apply virtually no pressure around ear canal compare to Shure/Ety. Fitting is a tad bit looser than Ety or Shure but can't get any more comfortable than Sony (they are like wearing nothing at all). When properly inserted, they are plush or stay below your ear line so you can sleep on your side while wearing Sony.

The Sharps are as comfortable as the Sony's, too. I just got the Ety's and have found that I can sleep on my side with them in, depending on the angle and how firm the pillow or whatever is underneath me.

Mar 10, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #8 of 25
From what I've read, the Shure e3s are smaller than the e2s, and if you look around, they're generally around the same price as the er6i's.

Personally, I've been waffling back and forth between the e3s and the er6is for... too long now. I need to make a decision soon. I think I'm leaning towards the shures, because they just look a bit tougher for sleeping in than the etys. On the other hand, I'm guessing I might prefer the ety sound... but since it'll be my first non-stock headphones I'm sure I'll be thrilled with anything... but.... I'm so indecisive.

Mar 10, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 25
Hey, I've had both the e2c and the er6i. i find the 6i a lot more confortable to sleep in. However, keep in mind they are far more fragile then the e2c. as for how deep they go, the er6i go all the way in my ear. The only thing comming out of my ear is the thin cable itself. As for the e2c, they are desined to rest outside of your ear. Hope this helps!

Mar 10, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #11 of 25
I've slept (on my back) a few times with my Etys, but only when i don't need to be able to hear an alarm in the morning
eek.gif

Mar 10, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #12 of 25
I could do it if I really wanted, but since they aren't 100% blended in my ear they get pushed on by my pillow so it doesn't work. But again, if I really wanted to leave them in (I don't like to listen as I fall asleep, I listen then take them out) I could do it.

Mar 10, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #13 of 25
i sleep with my e2c's alot. they are not very comfytorable at all when you sleep with them and in the morning your ear is very sore/sensitive. i would advise against it but if you do choose to do it you may consider these options.

1.) cup your hands around your ear when you sleep
2.) buy one of the super soft pillows (brookstone sells them and calls them FOM but there are immatations everywhere (link )
3.) find a travel pillow that goes around your neck and sleep on that
4.) buy the sony ones, alot of ppl say their comfy

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back