Sleeper 'phones
Aug 14, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 23
The Beyerdynamic DT48, for one. It's gotten more attention recently, but it still doesn't have widespread recognition as one of the finest headphones for acoustic music. Hopefully, it'll catch on and get the cult following it deserves.

Also, I've been very pleased with the Sony MDR-7509HD. I think I'm one of very few owners here, and it's a terrific headphone. Flat, neutral, detailed, and just a little warm. I take it with me every time I travel, and it's pretty good right out of an iPod.

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 23
The Sony 7509 is a very nice sounding amp that few pay attention too, perhaps it is because of its low price. Speaking of low price the Equation Eartool RP21 and the Goldring DR150 are also great sounding cans at a very reasonable price.

Aug 14, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 23
I'm going to throw in my two cents for a vintage can. Lafayette f990. Detail is not bad they have a bit of that closed sound going on. But damn is that soundstage nuts for a closed headphone. The bass slam is ridiculous also. Highs could use a little more sparkle but that's a niggle.

Aug 14, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sony 7509 is a very nice sounding headphone that few pay attention too, perhaps it is because of its low price. Speaking of low price the Equation Eartool RP21 and the Goldring DR150 are also great sounding cans at a very reasonable price.

Fixed.

I think that akg k501's don't get enough attention really....either that or it comes in spurts and i'm never looking when that happens haha.

Aug 14, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RX700..

It's not possible for headphones to be a FOTM a few months ago and then a sleeper this month... lol. Besides, the RX700 seems to be fairly well established now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #12 of 23
We had a similar thread re 'underrated' cans a short while ago, and several people mentioned the K601, so I guess 'sleeper' isnt really appropriate. Still dont quite understand why the ESW9 doesnt seem to have a bigger fanbase on Head-Fi, but thats probably a good thing for those who dont want to get dragged into endless debates re their merits.

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #13 of 23
been reading about build quality issues, which have kept me from purchasing them, the esw9 i mean.

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by salannelson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What headphone(s) don't get a lot of attention, but should?

My vote would be for the Koss UR40

UR40 uses the Portapro driver, I believe.

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #15 of 23
german maestro... seeing I had no idea they existed a month ago or so

Users who are viewing this thread

Back