Sleek SA6
Jul 17, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #1,112 of 1,423
Sadly a week ago one of my earpieces stopped working so I am waiting on a replacement.
The five days that I used them I seem to settle on the Bass=, Treble+ which for me as "epithetless" described the bass is present when it should be and with a nice amount of body but I agree a little more smack or impact would not go a miss.

Moving on, as others have tried I also experimented with a few alternate tips finally settling on q-Jay silicon tips which I find more comfortable than the Sleek flanges but also the silicon is slightly thicker which for me improves the isolation and tightens up the bass a little. I have not tried the Shure Olives that others seem to like but I have ordered some so hopefully they will arrive around the same time as my replacement earpiece.

With my q-Jays and MylarOnes before those I found I got best results by using large tips and creating a seal at the opening of the ear canal however with the Sleeks I decided to try using medium tips which take a little more adjustment but I find I can get a good seal around 4-5mm deeper where my ear canal narrows and tends to slope upwards.
Although there is little difference isolation wise this does create a noticeable changed in the bass characteristics with the Sleeks becoming warmer and the bass more resonant. I think with the slightly deeper insertion of the tip more sound is being conducted through the bone at the entry of the inner ear rather than being absorbed by the fleshier outer ear. With the added warmth I also moved to the Treble++ lifting the high end a little.

Whilst waiting for my replacement I have also fashioned an Extended Base Port which increases the length of the bass chamber around 4mm. With only one ear piece for testing it is hard to tell how much change the extended port makes but even with a mono test I can already notice subtle changes in extension, separation and definition in the mids and low end.

cimg3260ao7.jpg

Personally I am having a lot of fun with my Sleeks and enjoy reading what others are doing in the quest for their Ultimate Sleek Sweet Spot.

-------------------------------------------------------------
signaturecj7.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #1,114 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by tadad1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whilst waiting for my replacement I have also fashioned an Extended Base Port which increases the length of the bass chamber around 4mm. With only one ear piece for testing it is hard to tell how much change the extended port makes but even with a mono test I can already notice subtle changes in extension, separation and definition in the mids and low end.

Personally I am having a lot of fun with my Sleeks and enjoy reading what others are doing in the quest for their Ultimate Sleek Sweet Spot.

If you look at the original ports, the bass + is the one who provides the less volume in to chamber, all the opposite of the custom port you made, I think that the smallest the chamber the more bass you will get, the Bass - has a hole what basically makes the volume infinite...
wink.gif

Sorry I'm wrong, is the opposite!!!!

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #1,115 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you look at the original ports, the bass ++ is the one who provides the less volume in to chamber, all the opposite of the custom port you made, I think that the smallest the chamber the more bass you will get, the Bass - has a hole what basically makes the volume infinite...
wink.gif

Actually, I think it works in opposite of what you have described. Check out this thread.

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #1,116 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I think it works in opposite of what you have described. Check out this thread.

Let me check the ports again.........yep you are right, the one with the hole is the bass+, so I stand corrected, sorry getting senile is not funny....
biggrin.gif

So basically it is correct like that, the bigger the chamber behind the driver the more bass you will get....hummm, what about if you remove the ports completelly???.....
eek.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #1,117 of 1,423
Does any of you owns both SA6/ER4P-S or SA6/SE310? Trying to choose one (poll running)

If own both please tell me when and why use each of them.

Thx!

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #1,118 of 1,423
I've received my Sleeks yesterday, and i'm very impressed! Sa6 has truely the best vocal presentation out of al my headphones. Only thing bothering a bit is the ugly cable and it's right angle plug; i wish it were just a straight one because it gets in the way with my Ipod Touch..
Are there already aftermarket cables available for the sa6?

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #1,119 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpnz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Unfortunately, no.

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #1,120 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldfilm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does any of you owns both SA6/ER4P-S or SA6/SE310? Trying to choose one (poll running)

If own both please tell me when and why use each of them.

Thx!

Do not have nor have heard ER4P/S, but I do have the SE310, and there is absolutely no comparison with the Sleeks. Do not bother with them. They are lacking in every possible criteria.

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #1,121 of 1,423
anyone has any idea when the wireless adapter will be out? its been so long now i'm getting a little worried if it'll ever be released...

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #1,124 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpnz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've received my Sleeks yesterday, and i'm very impressed! Sa6 has truely the best vocal presentation out of al my headphones. Only thing bothering a bit is the ugly cable and it's right angle plug; i wish it were just a straight one because it gets in the way with my Ipod Touch..

Yes!!! Let's request that to them, and to Jason particularly....

Jason if you are around please, get an straight cable for the Sleeks, and please if posible a twisted more durable and manegeable cable, those boots breaking are not funny...!!!

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #1,125 of 1,423
Just got mine in, being my first IEM I can't really compare it to any others, but my initial reaction listening to them off my crappy onboard soundcard with my laptop is very positive, using bass + and default treble ports

these are ridiculously easy to drive, the volume is set to the minimum and its loud enough to enjoy, the second step is almost to loud. but great mids, some punch to the bass, just very positive out of the box, I'm really pleased, and I can't wait to throw in the treble + or ++

Users who are viewing this thread

Back