Sleek SA6
Jul 7, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #991 of 1,423
As mentioned above, the treble tube might be clotted on one side. However, there might be another explanation:

I have compared a brand new pair of SA6 against my well burn-in pair, and it is very obvious the they sounds quite different as mines sounds much smoother and balance on the mid-range. The brand new pair sounds more fuller as the mid is more forward. Jason has said it before that SA6 requires at least 50hrs of burn-in to reach its final sound signature and I agree. In your case, it could be the drivers are unevenly burn-in, resulted in mismatching freq. resp. in both transducers.

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #992 of 1,423
Jeez, you guys do some pretty powerful voodoo. I wasn't really even considering IEM's for my next purchase, but when I saw SoundEarphone's HD650 + free Custom-3 promo, I started researching them. Over the course of the holiday weekend, I'm reading all this love for the SA6, a ton of good things about both Sleek and SoundEarphones, and the $199.99 price makes the SA6 "a no-brainer". Then I start thinking about a couple of 11 hr flights coming up and next thing I know I'm eagerly awaiting my new IEM's. Thanks to everyone who posted in this now 100 page thread. This was some real powerful Head-Fi Sponsor-Member synergy....actually it's kinda scary....

Jul 7, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #993 of 1,423
ClieOS, you may be right about the drivers being unevenly burned in. I checked both treble tubes, and they both are clean. I'll let them burn in for about 50 hours or so, before determining whether one driver is defective.

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions, you make me feel like family
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #994 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ClieOS, you may be right about the drivers being unevenly burned in. I checked both treble tubes, and they both are clean. I'll let them burn in for about 50 hours or so, before determining whether one driver is defective.

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions, you make me feel like family
wink.gif

Did you switch the treble tubes from one earpiece to the other, or just visually inspect them? Clogs often occur without being at all perceptible to the eye, so I'd still recommend alternating them if you haven't. I suppose another way to be sure it's not a filter problem is to use the treble++ tubes -- which have no filters at all -- and see if there's still an imbalance.

Jul 7, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #995 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coop47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeez, you guys do some pretty powerful voodoo. I wasn't really even considering IEM's for my next purchase, but when I saw SoundEarphone's HD650 + free Custom-3 promo, I started researching them. Over the course of the holiday weekend, I'm reading all this love for the SA6, a ton of good things about both Sleek and SoundEarphones, and the $199.99 price makes the SA6 "a no-brainer". Then I start thinking about a couple of 11 hr flights coming up and next thing I know I'm eagerly awaiting my new IEM's. Thanks to everyone who posted in this now 100 page thread. This was some real powerful Head-Fi Sponsor-Member synergy....actually it's kinda scary....

All most of us did was try/buy, experiment (with the VQ options/sleeves) and listen, and the SA6s did the rest. Some were calling the Sleeks a FOTM IEM, but apart from durability (there have been some small issues there), I don't believe they are just a faddish phone. Every time I use them, I know I made the right choice in $200-plus phones for my budget and sound taste. Hope you feel the same when you get them. Of course, there are people who sent them back and opted for another IEM.

Jul 7, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #996 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you switch the treble tubes from one earpiece to the other, or just visually inspect them? Clogs often occur without being at all perceptible to the eye, so I'd still recommend alternating them if you haven't. I suppose another way to be sure it's not a filter problem is to use the treble++ tubes -- which have no filters at all -- and see if there's still an imbalance.

I tried that recently as well, and it had not made a difference. However, during yesterday's listening, I'm noticing that there's no longer as much of a difference between the two drivers. It could be either my ears getting used to the imbalance, or that the other driver had burned in more (as ClieOS had mentioned). I was previously not aware that armature drivers needed any burn-in, otherwise I would have done so before reporting this issue.

Jul 7, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #997 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All most of us did was try/buy, experiment (with the VQ options/sleeves) and listen, and the SA6s did the rest. Some were calling the Sleeks a FOTM IEM, but apart from durability (there have been some small issues there), I don't believe they are just a faddish phone. Every time I use them, I know I made the right choice in $200-plus phones for my budget and sound taste. Hope you feel the same when you get them. Of course, there are people who sent them back and opted for another IEM.

Hi tstarn06 -

Good point - I didn't mean to sound like I'm worried about being talked into a bad purchase, and hope that's not the way it came off. I don't disagree with any of what you said about the members' role, but would add this: Seeing how the manufacturer and the retailer worked with the members and each other to address concerns and improve the product was very impressive, and helped me make the decision to give the SA6 a try. Following the development and distribution of the Treble ++ module through the thread was really cool - it involved customer service, R&D, distribution and played into marketing. I'm not really a business guy, but that's a case study in the power of sponsors actively participating in communities like this. I'm not just buying the SA6, I feel like I'm getting all the customer service and general responsiveness that this thread illustrated. That's pretty neat!

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #998 of 1,423
Your observations are on target. Unlike some other manufacturers who come here to get early buzz and then disappear (not mentioning names), Sleek seems to really want to build (with end user help) a great portable headphone company, but certainly one that is not on the size level of the Shures and UEs of the world. Comparing IEMs is one thing, but comparing those two giants with Sleek is quite another. I'm just happy to own a quality product, well-priced, made by a company that is so responsive. Jason and the Sleeksters have set the bar pretty high, so they do deserve a little slack now and again. But they also seem to know that the only real risk to delivering a great product and great customer service is failing to maintain that word, great. If all of a sudden, they stop doing it, they will become another company who tried and failed to challenge the big guys. I personally don't think that will happen. At least I hope not.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #999 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your observations are on target. Unlike some other manufacturers who come here to get early buzz and then disappear (not mentioning names), Sleek seems to really want to build (with end user help) a great portable headphone company, but certainly one that is not on the size level of the Shures and UEs of the world. Comparing IEMs is one thing, but comparing those two giants with Sleek is quite another. I'm just happy to own a quality product, well-priced, made by a company that is so responsive. Jason and the Sleeksters have set the bar pretty high, so they do deserve a little slack now and again. But they also seem to know that the only real risk to delivering a great product and great customer service is failing to maintain that word, great. If all of a sudden, they stop doing it, they will become another company who tried and failed to challenge the big guys. I personally don't think that will happen. At least I hope not.

I second what you say tsarn06! Agree totally. I just hope that if sleek expands and becomes larger and reaches greater stratospheres, becomes a more established and sought after and a highly regarded company, that this quality of customer service and dedication doesn't wane or dilute. I suppose if a company becomes more popular, a success, that expansion and thus decreased personability have to come with that to some degree though. Just hope whomever you deal with offers the same level of customer service and understanding and commitment to customer satisfaction that they do now. As you say though, its hard to imagine at present, the Sleek crew are just so dam in tune with the end user and down to earth, i couldn't imagine those qualities being any less than genuine or becoming corrupt!

Jul 7, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #1,000 of 1,423
Just took the plunge, and I have to say already I am impressed with SoundEarphones' customer service. I accidently selected International shipping instead of Canadian, and by 9:30 this morning I had already recieved a refund (for the difference) and a notice that the phones had been shipped. Hopefully they will be here in a week or two.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #1,001 of 1,423
been eyeing these for a while
eek.gif

How do these compare to customs in the same pricerange? like livewires or freqs?

oh, and 1000th reply
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #1,002 of 1,423
There are some Head-Fiers who have both. I don't, so can't help you. I just find customs to be too limiting at this point (no resale is a major issue for me), which isn't to say I will never buy a pair. I am pretty happy with my stable right now, but I am sure someone will respond.

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #1,003 of 1,423
I have both LiveWires and the Sleek-Audio SA6s. The highs of the SA6s are better than that of the LiveWires, but when it comes to bass and bass extension the SA6s are no match for the LiveWires.

Comfort wise my customs are a bit better and suffer less from microphonic noise. The midrange is more prominent on the SA6s, but isn't more detailed or anything like that. The sound stage is huge on the LiveWires, whereas the SA6's sound stage is very limited.

The LiveWires are not in the same price range they are approximately $50 more expensive because you need to get impressions and send them to the LiveWires team.

Link to reviews:
techPowerUp :: Sleek-Audio SA6 Earphones Review :: Page 1 / 5
techPowerUp :: LiveWires T1 Custom IEMs Review :: Page 1 / 5

Cheers,
Frederik

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #1,004 of 1,423
Good comparison. Curious about microphonics and the SA6. I use a shirt clip with the Sleeks and never hear a single microphonic sound. Just in case anyone wonders about that specific issue. Otherwise, maybe some day when I have a spare $300 sitting around, I might indulge in a pair of customs. Just not sure it's worth the investment for me. I once spent $185 on a pair of soft sleeves for my old Futuresonic EM3s, and it was not worth it ... but more because the SQ of the EM3s wasn't very good, way too dark. And while the holes for the sleeves held the Ety ER4Ps, the Atrios and the im716s, the SQ was/is degraded using those sleeves. Sure it's different for customs.

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #1,005 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuwy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
been eyeing these for a while
eek.gif

How do these compare to customs in the same pricerange? like livewires or freqs?

oh, and 1000th reply
biggrin.gif

I have the SA6, the FreqShow and the Sleek Custom. I would rank them in order of Sleek Custom, SA6 & FreQShow. I find the FreQShow to be muddy and the highs recessed. The Sleeks have great separation and clarity, and the high end (with treble+ port) is very detailed. They are very musical, and the midrange is the best I've heard in an IEM. The midrange on the FreQShow is pushed way forward and somewhat "shouty".

My recommendation is to get the SA6 first. Play with the port combinations and if you find a particular port combo that works good for you, go for the Sleek Custom. It is basically the SA6 in a custom shell, tailored to whatever combination suits you best. You can easily sell off the SA6 to put the majority of the cash towards the Custom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back