Sleek SA6
Jul 2, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #917 of 1,423
I've been hovering around the purchase of the Westone UM1. I like what I hear (and I must have smaller ear canals based on previous experiences), but the SA6 seems to pop up as well.

Are there major differences between these two IEMs? I've been buried under all of the posts and reviews that I've read and I am left with a sense (but still not sure) that the UM-1 and SA6 are very strong competitors. Am I on the right track?

Thanks,
Rob - Long Beach, NY

N.B.
If it makes a difference, I have very varied musical tastes from classic rock to modern rock, old dance music, classical and classic jazz. My portable listening sources would be MP3's with some compression and my portable XM receiver (Pioneer Inno). I do not plan on carrying an amp. I have nice over the ear portables, but the IEM will give better isolation for bus and train rides. I like well defined (accurate) bass, but not overemphasized boom. Soundstage is appreciated in classical, jazz and live performances- but I know that with IEM, soundstage will always be limited when compared to cans. I don't like shrill highs and muddled, undefined or overemphasized mids. (picky, eh?)

I was gravitating toward the UM-1 since in the past, earbuds never stayed in and generally hurt my ears.

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #918 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by lbny_rob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been hovering around the purchase of the Westone UM1. I like what I hear (and I must have smaller ear canals based on previous experiences), but the SA1 seems to pop up as well.

Are there major differences between these two IEMs? I've been buried under all of the posts and reviews that I've read and I am left with a sense (but still not sure) that the UM-1 and SA1 are very strong competitors. Am I on the right track?

Thanks,
Rob - Long Beach, NY

N.B.
If it makes a difference, I have very varied musical tastes from classic rock to modern rock, old dance music, classical and classic jazz. My portable listening sources would be MP3's with some compression and my portable XM receiver (Pioneer Inno). I do not plan on carrying an amp. I have nice over the ear portables, but the IEM will give better isolation for bus and train rides. I like well defined (accurate) bass, but not overemphasized boom. Soundstage is appreciated in classical, jazz and live performances- but I know that with IEM, soundstage will always be limited when compared to cans. I don't like shrill highs and muddled, undefined or overemphasized mids. (picky, eh?)

I was gravitating toward the UM-1 since in the past, earbuds never stayed in and generally hurt my ears.

Do you mean SA6 and not SA1? If you do, I have never heard the UM1 myself, but the SA6 competes with the top level of universal IEMS (TripleFi10, Shure SE530), which would I suppose make it more comparable to the higher level Westone, the UM2.

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #920 of 1,423
SA6 is about two class above UM1. In fact, SA6 is at the level of UM2 in regard of SQ.

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #921 of 1,423
Quote:

I have nice over the ear portables, but the IEM will give better isolation for bus and train rides. I like well defined (accurate) bass, but not overemphasized boom. Soundstage is appreciated in classical, jazz and live performances- but I know that with IEM, soundstage will always be limited when compared to cans. I don't like shrill highs and muddled, undefined or overemphasized mids. (picky, eh?)

I think you'll be very happy with the SA6 on all fronts. They are small, easy (relative to other IEM's) to insert and very comfortable and non-fatigueing once in. No microphonics to speak of. They have a bass very much as you are looking for!/ I would describe it like what you describe you want/like. The highs aren't shrill but are they are very present, are detailed and fairly extensive. No sibilance. The mids are the most emphasised and up-front part of the sound sig of the SA6 but they are by no means overemphasized. As you are most probably aware by now, you can also (fine) tune the sound signature somewhat using the VQ system. They are also compatible with shure olive tips which will add to the bass if you incorporate them. The SA6 are reasonably neutral aswell, in that they're sound is not significantly coloured, yet they're is a well used sparkle/hints, flecks of colour, that make them musical and nice to listen to. Also, they have replaceable cables, a great touch, and wireless compatability on the way! A fantastic product, certainly at that price!!

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #923 of 1,423
Quote:

Thanks so much for the clarification!

No problem!
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #924 of 1,423
Wow, my first case of upgraditis. O.O

I just bought my first pair of nice headphones (tape/sock modded grado sr80s) about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I am xtreemly satisfied with the SQ but I also know that they are just ENTRY-LEVEL cans.

After lots of carrying around and thick wiring getting all over the place, I've become another victim of upgraditis. (If I'm even spelling that right)

I would jump on the oppurtunity seeing as how the sleeks are now 50 bucks cheaper for this short short short week. But the thing is, even if I did manage to scrounge up the money (or successfully convince my parents of....i unno, SOMETHING), what would happen to the Grados?

Is the gap in SQ diff enough that I wouldn't have any use for them ever again?

If that happens it seems like they won't get the appreciation they deserve.

frown.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #925 of 1,423
Rob, where in Long Beach? I live there too. I'm on the East End.

BTW, I think you'll be very happy with the SA6s

Quote:

Rob - Long Beach, NY

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #926 of 1,423
Thanks!
House 1 is on East Park Avenue between Franklin and Neptune.
House 2 is on West Olive between National and Edwards.
(We live in House 2)
Work is in Far Rockaway.

See you at the Long Beach Fireworks on July 11th!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dharel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rob, where in Long Beach? I live there too. I'm on the East End.

BTW, I think you'll be very happy with the SA6s

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #927 of 1,423
I've been considering these IEMs, got a few questions obviously.

Where can I buy them in the UK? I've stumbled across this:

Sleek Audio SA6 HiFi Headphones

Is there anywhere cheaper than £140?

Also, because I am not in the US, will I be supported if anything breaks within the warranty period? (what IS the duration of the warranty period?)

Also what sort of isolation would I get from the supplied tips?

These questions may have been asked before, and I did try to search (to no avail) - TIA.

Jul 2, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #928 of 1,423
Soundheadphone.com has a sale right now for US$199, but you might need to pay import tax and such.

Warranty is 2 yrs. Most of us deal directly with Sleek Audio for any claim.

The included tip provide great isolation, about -32~36dB.

Jul 2, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #929 of 1,423
Thanks for the quick reply ClieOS, appreciated!

Import tax would probably not make it worth it, got that clear.

Lastly, would it be a good step up from the Sennheiser CX300 (my very entry level canalphones)?

Last question, honestly!
smily_headphones1.gif

TIA.

Jul 2, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #930 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by chongy5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lastly, would it be a good step up from the Sennheiser CX300 (my very entry level canalphones)?

Not just good. It will be a great step up from CX300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back