Sleek SA6
Apr 22, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #616 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They allowed me to keep everything until I got the replacement
smily_headphones1.gif

Sweet, that's really good news...how fast was the shipping?

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #617 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet, that's really good news...how fast was the shipping?

They shipped it on the 11th and it was here on the 14th (I actually got the package on the 15th because I wasn't home on the 14th). And I am located in Canada
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #618 of 1,423
Quote:

They shipped it on the 11th and it was here on the 14th (I actually got the package on the 15th because I wasn't home on the 14th). And I am located in Canada
smily_headphones1.gif

Sweet, I'll probably get the replacement by Thursday or Friday of this week then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the cheering up, Squirsier.
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #619 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure about the price of ER4 in Jaben, but if you consider the shipping fee for ordering a pair of SA6 from U.S. (and the possibility of custom), I don't think SA6 is overpriced by any mean... well, at least I think I got my SA6 from Jaben with a very reasonable price. You are right on one point, local price is indeed quite high, but that probably applies to the whole S.E.Asia. Pricing is even worst in Australia and N.Z.

Their SA6 price is good, I don't rule out buying from them, except that they seem too be rather reluctant to sell me without the "bundle", which isn't attractive to me, and I didn't manage to get them to give me a quote on the SA6 itself.

As for ER4P, even when shipping is considered there is still about S$90 saving, to me that's more than I'm willing to pay.

There is no import charges for item below S$400.

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #620 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Their SA6 price is good, I don't rule out buying from them, except that they seem too be rather reluctant to sell me without the "bundle", which isn't attractive to me, and I didn't manage to get them to give me a quote on the SA6 itself.

Ask Uncle Wilson directly. He is the one who knows all the prices.

Apr 22, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #621 of 1,423
Finally got my SA6s!

When I tried to order on the site there was a problem with our credit cards going through. Sent an email and Jason emailed back asap asking if he could call me up to take payment over the phone. So he called me up a bit later and we did it that way. MAJOR props to Jason to that, that's the way to run a buisness!
smily_headphones1.gif

Listened to them with the =/= ports in on the way to the tube station, and ended up putting in the +/++ port on the train, haha (thank god I didn't lose anything).

Note: The ++ treble port IS the pair of black things that come in the small bag, right?

So far the headphones haven't floored me -- I've been VERY used to the CX300s I've used for the last few years, but they're definately a huge upgrade to the CX300s. And my iRiver has Rockbox on, so I just need to spend a while tweaking the EQ a bit.

I'm only an amateur audiophile, but I'm a rock/metal basssit, and I'll try and get back with more opinions on these phones later -- from the VERY, VERY biased view of a bass player :lol:

Now... I just need to pick myself up a 1" jack to minijack so I can plug these phones into my x-fi on my PC...
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #622 of 1,423
Just ordered mine this morning...waiting for them to arrive =]]

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #623 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirCanealot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note: The ++ treble port IS the pair of black things that come in the small bag, right?

They are
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #624 of 1,423
Quote:

They are
smily_headphones1.gif

Jason could've included the note: "Attention stupid people..."
biggrin.gif

Also: I got my set with NO custom charge! So all my previous moaning was for nothing, hahaha ^_^

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #625 of 1,423
Well these are definitely staying. I have to say the SA6 really rewards good quality recordings. I've just been randomly going through my music, and then bam! My mind is blown.
eek.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #626 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by StormTracker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well these are definitely staying. I have to say the SA6 really rewards good quality recordings. I've just been randomly going through my music, and then bam! My mind is blown.
eek.gif

They respond to a better source very well to. I usually listen via the Pico's DAC but last night I was listening with the iPod and Pico and while it was decent enough it was more of a letdown than I had expected.

Apr 23, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #627 of 1,423
Well I've been messing around with mine for a couple of days now. Got the big jack-little jack adaptor, so I'm listening to tunes on my PC with them right now
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm slowly getting used to and getting more impressed with the SA6s. I'm noticing things in the mix I hadn't before (which is a very good sign); however, I am having to tweak the EQ on my mp3 player (lucky I has rockbox
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Bass. I can't get the right bass sound out of these buds. With no EQ I'm just not feeling any "low end rumble" with these phones. Adding in the Bass+ port helped the problem slightly, but with no EQ, no bass. The sort of frequencies these phones are lacking is around 60-150hz (the bottom end of the bass guitar/bass drum).

The thing that confuses me slightly is that the SA6s CAN do it. I mean I've turned up the bass/main volume up madly to try and get these little buds to distort, and I can't do it. They'll produce clean bass at fairly high volumes for IEMs! At least to my ear, the SA6s need a slight EQ in bass (60-150hz need around a +1-2db increase, and then low mids could come up slightly too).

Is anyone else finding the same? I'm still messing with them, but once I turn up the bass a tiny bit, they sound a looot better!

I also can't settle on a treble tip right now. I have ++ in at the moment, and while it does make some of the mid-end a bit nicer, it makes the phones a little bright for my fairly sensitive ears. Guess I'll try going back to + for a while...

I will say these phones do amazing justice to the upper frequencies of bass guitars right out of the box. Take R.E.M.s new album, Accelerate. I'm hearing much more from Mike Mill's bass guitar that I'd heard before (the attack from his pick hitting the bass's strings is clearly audible). Popping on old Metallica albums (the bass is mixed VERY low in old Metallica albums and doesn't have much low end -- mostly distored high-frequancies which are hard to pick apart from the guitars), I can hear Cliff Burton perfectly! This is the first time I've ever been able to hear his rampant fretwork in The Call of Ktulu clearly! However, I have some example of bass tones that are low-end/low mids heavy that don't have the power they should have (and that means I will need to look at my EQ settings again
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Either way, given that the SA6s are such new, interesting technoloy, I'll discount a couple of minor shortfalls such as me needing to run my equaliser more often than I did before.

Anyway, there's some disorganised thoughts on my SA6s so far -- I'm having fun either way
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #629 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Maybe it depends on how the music was mastered?
confused.gif

I would tend to agree to that. I mostly listen to electronic music and the bass/treble response varies a lot by album. More on that in the review I am preparing
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #630 of 1,423
Quote:

I would tend to agree to that. I mostly listen to electronic music and the bass/treble response varies a lot by album. More on that in the review I am preparing
smily_headphones1.gif

Agree as well... once you get into nice equipment it really makes it hard to listen to crappy recordings! You just experience the music more if the quality of the recording / mastering is top-notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back