Sleek SA6
Jun 22, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #871 of 1,423
Bit of a meaningless post to most but me, but I'm chuffed to have my SA6 back in action! Finally got new lead and the musical garden inside my head is getting the water its been needin! Treble tube removal aid is efficient and well designed and a welcome luxury! Goin with configuration bass=;treble+ atm. As nicely balanced and sweet as I remember. Have to say though, the supplied sony hp's that came with my NWZA829 are pretty dam good and have tided me over nicely.

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #872 of 1,423
Yeah, the Sleeks are something you hate to be without, but I agree on the Sony phones (in my case, the EX082s). I have two pair (bought the A16 and A818), and modded them both (removed the screens in the sound tube one one paid, and did that AND covered the holes in the base on the other) and they are pretty good. I think you got an even better pair with the A829, but not sure. In fact, for on the move listening the Sony, with Comply T400 foamies, are now my backups (over the Denon 551, which I gave away, and the RE2s, which I gave to my daughter when her EP630s crapped out).

Jun 22, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #874 of 1,423
No, didn't say that. What I meant is the Sony OEM canalphones are a perfectly fine backup to the Sleeks for short-term periods. I don't have the EX90s, but performed the same mods on the EX082s (not sure what bundles with the A829, but I think it's a better phone than the 082), and those mods really worked wonders on the 082.

As for the Sleeks and the Sonys, not really that close. Just meant that the Sonys are the best OEM phones I've ever gotten, by a landslide, and they are good enough not to spend more $$$ on a backup set of phones.

Jun 22, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #875 of 1,423
Aye, thats all I was indicating also, that the bundled sony phones were a decent (back up) pair of headphones, but I was by no means saying they were in the same league as the SA6, as you'd logically expect. I've tried to find a model number for the sony hps included with the 829 but it wasnt right there to find and I wasnt successful so not sure what actual model they are. Anyone in the know there? They are a good set of phones and as you say tstarn06 they're pop-in useability and their quality and also that they isolate less means I can very much imagine using these on the go from time to time.

Jun 22, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #876 of 1,423
I checked the model numbers too, but nothing. I heard that the bundled Sony phones are on par with the EX85, which sell for $60 on the Sony US site. I think the EX082s are the Euro/global version. All speculation, however, since most reviewers give the Sony phones a thumbs up, but no one seems to know the model #.

Anyway, they are good on the go phones, when you don't need severe isolation. I won't be spending any more $$$ on lesser phones than the SA6s as long as the Sonys hold up.

Jun 22, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #877 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I checked the model numbers too, but nothing. I heard that the bundled Sony phones are on par with the EX85, which sell for $60 on the Sony US site. I think the EX082s are the Euro/global version.

The NWZ-A829 comes with the EX-082 earphones, which is the same model that comes with the 818/808. And just to confirm:

Quote:

What's in the Box
Sony 16 GB Walkman Video MP3 Player with Built-in Bluetooth (Black), USB Cable (22 pin to USB), MDR-EX082 Headphones and long cord, CD-ROM with Windows Media Player 11 and MP3 Conversion Tools, Quick Start Guide, Adapter Plate (for optional 22 pin cradle)

Sony 16 GB Walkman Video MP3 Player with Built-in Bluetooth. Sony NWZA829BLK

I've got both right here. They're the same. Really good for supplied earphones!

Jun 22, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #879 of 1,423
Quote:

Thanks Julie, as always. Have you tried the mod? Taking off that screen alone does open up the mids/highs. You can also use foam to adjust the sound, from what I read on the EX90 mod thread.

Hey Tom
smily_headphones1.gif
I modded the 808 pair last year with perforated clingfilm! It took me forever to get it to stay put but once I did, the isolation was about 25% better. In fact they were the only supplied buds that I didn't give to my cat for a spare toy
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #881 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Tom
smily_headphones1.gif
I modded the 808 pair last year with perforated clingfilm! It took me forever to get it to stay put but once I did, the isolation was about 25% better. In fact they were the only supplied buds that I didn't give to my cat for a spare toy
biggrin.gif

I pulled the screen from inside the sound tube and I used melted wax to seal off the indents on the bud part. Closing off those openings really made the phones sound better. We've discussed them before, and while they are not #1 phones unless you are on an extreme budget, they are fine for OEM.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #883 of 1,423
Quote:

Back to the SA6s...found this review today quite by accident. Interesting POV.

sleek audio sa6

Thanks for the post
cool.gif

Interestin read

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #884 of 1,423
Quote:

Back to the SA6s...found this review today quite by accident. Interesting POV.

sleek audio sa6

As the poster above me says, interesting read. I do believe these will remain on my fall back list if my triple.fis die and are ineligible for warranty replacement.

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #885 of 1,423
Well, I just joined the SA6 family, and received them today. However, it seems that the cable mine came with was faulty, in that the left channel wire gave no sound AT all, even after swapping drivers to see if it that was the problem (it wasn't). Tried different audio sources (amp, dap, laptop, computer) all with the same result.

Fortunately, I contacted Jason, and he was quick to send another set of cables (you rock, Jason!). Hopefully these ones will work, and hopefully I won't have to wait too long, since I've been itching to try these IEMs for a long time
biggrin.gif

Anyone else have similar cable issues, or did I just get a lemon cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back