Sleek SA6
May 13, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #766 of 1,423
DSC_0294_thumbnail.jpg

Spill it! When are we getting the Bass++ ports! I see the bag with it!

May 13, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #767 of 1,423
Look a little closer, those appear to be the ++ treble tubes not ++ bass ports.

In the pic, -, =, + bass ports in the top row with ++, +, - and = treble tubes in the bottom row.

May 13, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #768 of 1,423
Hi everyone. I've recently just been buying many phones to road test, and I'm wondering if these require an amp for great performance (I'm hoping they don't). Cheers to whoever can provide me an answer
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #769 of 1,423
No amp required here. I listen to them straight from my Zune 80.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4saken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone. I've recently just been buying many phones to road test, and I'm wondering if these require an amp for great performance (I'm hoping they don't). Cheers to whoever can provide me an answer
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #771 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4saken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet thanks. I've also noticed that the cord seems really short from their promotional pics (looks to be less than 50 cm long). Is this the actual length?

110cm is what I just measured. You actually missed by a very big margin
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #772 of 1,423
Agree on the amp issue. Of all the phones I have ever owned (IEMs/canalphones), the Sleeks excel without an amp far, far above the pack. In fact, they almost have me selling off my Minibox (though I do enjoy the latter when using the 716s at home).

May 13, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #773 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
110cm is what I just measured. You actually missed by a very big margin
biggrin.gif

I was fooled by the pictures
frown.gif
Didn't see that split looking symbol on the diagram.

Does anybody know how this compares to UE SuperFi 5 Pro? The latter fits my budget a bit nicer :p

May 15, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #774 of 1,423
I've shot competition pistol (target) for years and been into private aviation so I am very used to foam things expanding to fill my outer ear canal. As such I'm on a mission.

Is there a particular model of foam tips that best fit the SA6? Not just in terms of comfort and acoustic seal, but in terms of not disarticulating their well received sound signature.

I've read snippets about Shure's olives and Comply's, but never which Comply's as Comply doesn't manufacture specifically for Sleek products (acc to their website). I'm driving them with a Cowon iAudio 7. Oh, FWIW I have read this lengthy yet informative 78 page forum, so no fair flaming me . . .

And here's a non-sequitor: Would those people experienced with both IEMs opt for the SA6 or q-JAYS?

Recommendations?

May 15, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #776 of 1,423
While not widely used for SA6s (at least not that I can tell), I am a true believer in using the Shure yellow foam tips that are used with the E3C, E4C, E5C. They are relatively cheap (less cost than Complys), and to me, they are just perfect SQ-wise and fit-wise. I use Complys as well (I use the Comply shorts, in gray), and I prefer the Shures, which are ugly, but they do it for me. The only downside is the treble tubes tend to get stuck in the tips, but easy enough to pull out (gently, with a needle-nosed pliers).

There is a Head-Fier named Joyenergizer who has compared the Sleeks with the q-Jays, and in the end chose the UE TF10s. Search his/her name.

May 15, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #777 of 1,423
The big downsides of the yellow foam tips is they deteriorate rather quickly and at least here in Canada while not terribly expensive the places I've found charge crazy amounts for shipping. The black olives on the other had are washable and seem to last a very long time. On the plus side I actually prefer the comfort I have with the small black olives to the that of the yellow foams.

May 15, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #778 of 1,423
Guess we have to agree to disagree on the yellow foamies. Mine seem to stay intact as long as the olives, and I just think they deliver a cleaner sound (and fit my ears more snugly, without being uncomfortable). Granted, you can't wash and dry the yellows, but they just seem to fit and feel better, without sacrificing sound quality.

Understand the S&H cost issue, but I got mine on ebay, and I don't think S&H was a problem globally. I got a bag of 10 pair for like $23 or something, cheaper than the Complys or the olives. I had 5-6 pair of new medium olives and sold them off to a guy in the UK. They always just feel too mushy to me.

Update: I had one medium and one small olive left (used) and tried them out (my ears are different sizes, so it works). They are fine too. It's all good, but my preference is still for the yellows cause they feel more snug and the sound is sharp and clear.

One thing we do agree on, the fine SA6 sound.

May 15, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #779 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess we have to agree to disagree on the yellow foamies. Mine seem to stay intact as long as the olives, and I just think they deliver a cleaner sound (and fit my ears more snugly, without being uncomfortable). Granted, you can wash and dry the yellows, but they just seem to fit and feel better, without sacrificing sound quality.

Understand the S&H cost issue, but I got mine on ebay, and I don't think S&H was a problem globally. I got a bag of 10 pair for like $23 or something, cheaper than the Complys or the olives. I had 5-6 pair of new medium olives and sold them off to a guy in the UK. They always just feel too mushy to me.

One thing we do agree on, the fine SA6 sound.

I used to use foamies a lot with my E500's and while yes, I could wash them, they seemed to lose some of their elasticity with each wash. I'd only get a max of about 2 weeks regular use with a pair before they would really need to be washed and I found I could only really wash them once before they deteriorated too much to get a proper seal and comfortable fit.

On the E500's the yellow foamies were one of my favorites though, I preferred them to the black olives, in fact I preferred them to the everything except modified tri-flanges. I've only briefly tried them on the SA6's, I liked them but for whatever reason on the SA6's I seem to prefer the sound of the black olives to everything else, the fact the comfort is unparalleled to anything I've had before is a bonus.

May 15, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #780 of 1,423
I too prefer the Olives on the sleeks, but also totally enjoy the Ety4 tri-flange tips as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back