Sleek SA6 for $200, best in class?
Sep 10, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #32 of 42
Okay, I'm back to the SA6 and I have a bit better image of the sound and the bass doesn't have the clarity, punch or extension of the Triples and a bit less definition. They lack a very small amount of clarity in the highs and mids, they're slightly softer. The mids are very slightly more subdued over the Triples.

But it's amazing how difficult it is to discern the difference between these SA6s and the Triples.

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBob1971 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone compared these to the new Super.Fi 5s? (not the Pros)

They are quite a bit better than the new 5s, in my opinion. These compare better to the Triple fi-10s.

Sep 10, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I'm back to the SA6.
But it's amazing how difficult it is to discern the difference between these SA6s and the Triples.

Wow, I would never have said they sounded even remotely similar! SA6 (to my ears), had a much more open midrange with clearer vocals, but with very little bass impact compared with the TF10s, and a smaller soundstage. I think they sound very very different from each other.

Sep 10, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I would never have said they sounded even remotely similar! SA6 (to my ears), had a much more open midrange with clearer vocals, but with very little bass impact compared with the TF10s, and a smaller soundstage. I think they sound very very different from each other.

I would agree with you if I still had the original treble tubes in. Since using the "+" these buggers have amazed me.

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

I agree, I don't think they sounded very alike at all. Mind you I don't think the TF10's are necessarily better though, they do some things better than the SA6's but then the SA6's do some other things better than the TF10's.

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, I don't think they sounded very alike at all. Mind you I don't think the TF10's are necessarily better though, they do some things better than the SA6's but then
the SA6's do some other things better than the TF10's.

Well, I definitely preferred the SA6 midrange, but I'm certainly happy enough with the TF10 in that area. Although, if the SA6 midrange could be combined with the TF10 bass, that would make a pretty perfect earphone for me
regular_smile .gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Well, I definitely preferred the SA6 midrange, but I'm certainly happy enough with the TF10 in that area. Although, if the SA6 midrange could be combined with the TF10 bass, that would make a pretty perfect earphone for me
regular_smile .gif

I agree, I's actually like to combine the treble and midrange of the SA6's with the bass and more spacious feel of the TF10's.

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #39 of 42
I went ahead and put in the Extended Frequency treble tips because I didn't think I needed two sets of Triple fi-10s.

The sound now is definitely their own with a warmer sound quality. The soundstage is a bit closer...not as wide.

I'd still like to see someone use some mini plug covers for bass chambers, though. I think that would be cool.

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #40 of 42
there are also the at ck10 which are only 10$ more than the sa6 if they are indeed only 200$. they have dual drivers, a very tiny body, with low microphonics and are very comfortabel.

they are not customisable but they are fab. i listen to 90% trance as well so sold my um2 and gave back my e500 as they were both too slow. also, the um2 too sensitve and i heard hiss from even the vacuum of space.

i went to er4s and preferred it above them but they were not good for my tastes with any music but trance: too harsh for anything but great for trance if a little shallow on the bass.

eventually, went atrio m5: possibly my all time favourites (see the downward price trend?) and found them significantly laid back but not too slow like the um2 for trance. they were more moody than the er4s certainly making many musics sound very natural with the best bass i have heard yet, however, for fast trance and with my rather rubbish trance portable player, boomed way too much.

they were better with my ipod nano 3g but, still if you have fast bass trance that is not made on bass guitars or anything but machines, a plastic echo killed it all for me. i will admit i am one of the few or maybe the only one who is bothered by this. i first noticed it on my senn cx300 back in the day, then in every plastic dynammic driver phone i have heard. the denon c700 (had it too) did not have this but was too shrill in the echo in another way.

i sold the atrio as that was the only real weakness for me and got the victor fx500. it has not that echo but has a smaller driver so the bass resolution is not felt as low and since it is smaller, rather than vibrations on very fine bass, you have more a tendency to boom if your portable has massive bass roll off (remember that is like 98% of all portables on the market).

they along with atrio remain my favs if only a spot in the middle could be found. i feel the atrio with a different plastic more like that used in the very hard shell of the ok2 (have those) were used it might be a non-issue.

when that model comes out, i will undoubtedly buy the atrio again.

however, i have not heard the sa6, im sure they are great. pioneer too have brought out a long long time ago, perhaps the same time as the sleek audio sa6 a multiport adjustable armature based iem. i never tried it but it is similar price or cheaper by 10$ or so.

there are so many to choose from and it really probably depends on your tastes rather than which is actually better.

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are also the at ck10 which are only 10$ more than the sa6 if they are indeed only 200$. they have dual drivers, a very tiny body, with low microphonics and are very comfortabel.

they are not customisable but they are fab. i listen to 90% trance as well so sold my um2 and gave back my e500 as they were both too slow. also, the um2 too sensitve and i heard hiss from even the vacuum of space.

i went to er4s and preferred it above them but they were not good for my tastes with any music but trance: too harsh for anything but great for trance if a little shallow on the bass.

eventually, went atrio m5: possibly my all time favourites (see the downward price trend?) and found them significantly laid back but not too slow like the um2 for trance. they were more moody than the er4s certainly making many musics sound very natural with the best bass i have heard yet, however, for fast trance and with my rather rubbish trance portable player, boomed way too much.

they were better with my ipod nano 3g but, still if you have fast bass trance that is not made on bass guitars or anything but machines, a plastic echo killed it all for me. i will admit i am one of the few or maybe the only one who is bothered by this. i first noticed it on my senn cx300 back in the day, then in every plastic dynammic driver phone i have heard. the denon c700 (had it too) did not have this but was too shrill in the echo in another way.

i sold the atrio as that was the only real weakness for me and got the victor fx500. it has not that echo but has a smaller driver so the bass resolution is not felt as low and since it is smaller, rather than vibrations on very fine bass, you have more a tendency to boom if your portable has massive bass roll off (remember that is like 98% of all portables on the market).

they along with atrio remain my favs if only a spot in the middle could be found. i feel the atrio with a different plastic more like that used in the very hard shell of the ok2 (have those) were used it might be a non-issue.

when that model comes out, i will undoubtedly buy the atrio again.

however, i have not heard the sa6, im sure they are great. pioneer too have brought out a long long time ago, perhaps the same time as the sleek audio sa6 a multiport adjustable armature based iem. i never tried it but it is similar price or cheaper by 10$ or so.

there are so many to choose from and it really probably depends on your tastes rather than which is actually better.

Sounds like you need a pair of SA6's with a player that has an EQ to boost the low end a bit.

The SA6's has the midrange you are looking for. Combined with a player like the Sony A82x series, you will have plenty of low end with clear bass. The bass in the SA6's is fast enough to keep up with trance. I listen to a lot of vocal trance, so having a solid midrange and deep bass impact is important. The SA6's meet both of those criteria for me. On my iPod 80gb (which lacks bass to begin with), no IEM I've tried is good enough. There just isn't enough bass unless you use a LOD and an amp. Which for me is not an option. I got the Sony A829 and own an HD5 solely for the bass.

Get some SA6's and try them out. I think they will meet your expectations with the right player.

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #42 of 42
actually, i have the sony and i am not a midrange person as im not much for vocals though my latest trend of trance has more vocals and i do prefer my nano in every way except for low bass resolution to my sony 828: gapless alone is the killer against sony as nearly all my albums are gapless.

my favourite sounding player actually is the nano 3g after my d2, my meizu m6 sony 828, 615, shuffle 1g, ipod touch, iriver clix, iriver 140 if i remember correctly, i prefer the gently touch of the nano.

i actually do not like the bass of armature based units at all: i find it strange and unnatural. however, im sure the sa6 are wonderful for those who really like them. i use armatures only for bicycling for this reason: they are smaller, fit in helmet and: have nearly no noise resistance from wind.

someday i will listen to a pair of sa6 or 7 or whatever is out at the time but i am not an armature person at all. thank you for the recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back