Sleek By 50 Cent Agreement... TERMINATED!
May 6, 2011 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

tinyman392

Be nice to noobs, we were all noobs at one point in our life.
It seems that Sleek Audio has terminated the agreement with Sleek Audio.  They say that the plans for over-the-ear headphones are put on hold.  Hopefully they come to their senses and make a cancellation of Sleeks by 50 Cent.  We really don't need every artist with their own line of headphones.  Dre, Ludacris, Bieber, need I say more?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/06/sleek-audio-terminates-agreement-with-50-cent-puts-over-the-ear/

May 6, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 24
I know, it was the best news I've read on engadget in a while lol. Supposedly, from what I've read, the headphones didn't have the sound quality 50 cent was expecting. That's actually quite respectable and shows he's not willing just to put his name on anything, but who knows how true that is? If only we had headphones endorsed by people who know the audio world... oh wait, we do, they're called Shure, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG etc etc. 

May 6, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 24
LOL, exactly.  Reading that post made my day :)

Seriously, don't we already have enough artist with their own headphone lines?  Let's take a look:
  • Dre,
  • Biever,
  • Ludacris,
  • Miles Davis,
  • Diddy,
  • GaGa
Thank god 50 Cent was taken off the list...  We're still losing the battle though :frowning2:

May 6, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 24
I saw that, to bad that they couldn't make more money off of other people's names
wink.gif

May 6, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 24
All of the mentioned artists are endorsing monster products and I think it has helped monster with sales amongst non-audiophiles and enthusiasts.

Quote:

Seriously, don't we already have enough artist with their own headphone lines?  Let's take a look:
  • Dre,
  • Biever,
  • Ludacris,
  • Miles Davis,
  • Diddy,
  • GaGa
Thank god 50 Cent was taken off the list...  We're still losing the battle though :frowning2:

May 6, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 24

Quote:
All of the mentioned artists are endorsing monster products and I think it has helped monster with sales with non-audiophiles and enthusiasts.

True, with the exception of Ludacris...  But still, does every artist really need a line of headphones?

May 6, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 24
Unfortunately kids nowadays wants something that looks cool and stylish. If an artist can make them more attractive to a potential buyer, then there's lots of money to be made. Artists and celebrities are selling out more then ever.

Quote:
True, with the exception of Ludacris...  But still, does every artist really need a line of headphones?

May 6, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

• Dre,
  • Biever,
  • Ludacris,
  • Miles Davis,
  • Diddy,
  • GaGa

Miles Davis doesn't have his own headphone "line." Monster has one headphone with his name on it and they don't seem like a non-audiophile headphone to me.
That is the only artist that doesn't deserve to have his name on that list, he's dead. If I'm quite honest, Monster should be the one's to blame here. Just my opinion.  

May 6, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 24

Quote:

• Dre,
  • Biever,
  • Ludacris,
  • Miles Davis,
  • Diddy,
  • GaGa

forgot Quincy Jones

May 6, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
Quote:

Miles Davis doesn't have his own headphone "line." Monster has one headphone with his name on it and they don't seem like a non-audiophile headphone to me.
That is the only artist that doesn't deserve to have his name on that list, he's dead. If I'm quite honest, Monster should be the one's to blame here. Just my opinion.  

True that.  I haven't heard many of them.  I just thought I'd mention it.  Monster is to blame...  For the 50 Cent 'phones, Sleek is to blame (thank god Sleek Audio bailed out) and the Ludacris ones, signeo.

Quote:
forgot Quincy Jones

Too much overload
basshead.gif

May 6, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
I know, it was the best news I've read on engadget in a while lol. Supposedly, from what I've read, the headphones didn't have the sound quality 50 cent was expecting. That's actually quite respectable and shows he's not willing just to put his name on anything, but who knows how true that is? If only we had headphones endorsed by people who know the audio world... oh wait, we do, they're called Shure, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG etc etc. 

For all we know, Sleek probably made one that was neutral and 50 didn't like it because he prefers - or presumably he knows that the average consumers - would prefer a thumping headphone. Still, that's what his music needs, albeit rap/rnb vocals sound great through Grados, except they're just always left wanting for bass. But who knows, maybe he wants Grado midrange with lots of bass.

What's disappointing for me, really, isn't that rappers and a pop star all have headphones, but that Metallica had that Skullcandy. For chrissakes, couldn't they have just appeared on a Shure ad? But no, the business sense of Metallica really, really did something worse than stifling creativity that resulted in St.Anger. I mean, come on, a black headphone that has white skulls?! If I wanted to project Metallica, I'd wear a tour t-shirt, not put the graphics from that t-shirt on a headphone. Can you even imagine them using that in the studio? At least you can see the rappers using the Beats that way.

Still, I was hoping the Sleek isn't completely dead. The colours, at least, don't offend my eyes. As much as rappers like the Lambo Reventon, hey, that still looks a lot better than other pimped rides, and a metallic (not chrome) headphone version of hte Reventon isn't all that bad. Can't be worse than those Ferrari headphones that don't sound any better with music than those they actually use in the pits. I still miss the time when Alpine F1 Status series had the silhouette of a Diablo on the manual.

May 6, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger /img/forum/go_quote.gif

forgot Quincy Jones

Quincy may have his own line of headphones, but I've heard a few experienced audiophiles here like their Q701 over their K701/2. Even their K601!
This goes to show that at least Quincy Jones has more experience in the music industry and with AKG.
He's not exactly harming the hi-fi world the way we think he would. 

May 6, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:

For all we know, Sleek probably made one that was neutral and 50 didn't like it because he prefers - or presumably he knows that the average consumers - would prefer a thumping headphone. Still, that's what his music needs, albeit rap/rnb vocals sound great through Grados, except they're just always left wanting for bass. But who knows, maybe he wants Grado midrange with lots of bass.

I was just going to say something like this...  LMAO :)

Quote:
Quincy may have his own line of headphones, but I've heard a few experienced audiophiles here like their Q701 over their K701/2. Even their K601!
This goes to show that at least Quincy Jones has more experience in the music industry and with AKG.
He's not exactly harming the hi-fi world the way we think he would. 

Well at least one artist hasn't lost his mind :)

May 7, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #15 of 24
I guess its like pop stars/celebrities/movie stars with their perfume/fragrance lines, they wouldn't want a flat or accurste sound signature with their endorsed phones, they'd want one that is supposed to reflect their characters, so logically, 50 Cent's ones would be very bass heavy. :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back