Sleek Audio SA6 Review
Mar 27, 2008 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

GaryM63

New Head-Fier
Well, I just posted my full review of the Sleek SA6 - here is the url:
Gadgetnutz

Please remember (for those who did not like the Klipsch review) that gadgetnutz is not an "audiophile" site - we cover all sorts of portable electronics and gadgets - so the review might not be "sophisticated" enough for many of you on the head-fi community.

While I do wish that there was a deeper and more pronounced bass response in the Sleeks - I loved these earphones for lots of reasons. I also find that they compare favorably to my favorite IEM's the Klipsch IMAGE - better in some ways, not as good in others.

Anyway, read the review and "flame" away
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryM63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I just posted my full review of the Sleek SA6 - here is the url:
Gadgetnutz

Please remember (for those who did not like the Klipsch review) that gadgetnutz is not an "audiophile" site - we cover all sorts of portable electronics and gadgets - so the review might not be "sophisticated" enough for many of you on the head-fi community.

While I do wish that there was a deeper and more pronounced bass response in the Sleeks - I loved these earphones for lots of reasons. I also find that they compare favorably to my favorite IEM's the Klipsch IMAGE - better in some ways, not as good in others.

Anyway, read the review and "flame" away
smily_headphones1.gif

You must like an extreme amount of bass with your music if you think the SA6 are lacking in that department.
I wonder what symbols are supposed to sound like...

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 14
No flaming. Good review. Again, you don't mention sources, bit rates, etc. Even for less sophisticated listeners, they should know what source you are using, no? For example, while I too would like a bass++ port, I am also, like Kees, happy with the SA6s bass. And if I need to boost the bass a bit, I use the EQ on the Sony and/or Sansa DAPs I own. The Zune has no EQ, but the bass seems stronger on the Zune than either of the other DAPs without EQ.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea to mention sources when reviewing headphones. No surprise though that I also rate the SA6s as an "A."

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 14
I found another typo... I am apparently good in the proofreading department.

'Musicality:

It is hard for me to describe this completely - but the Sleek SA6 might just be the most "musical" IEM I have very (ever?) listened to. The sound was "fun." It wasn't particularly "warm" and it wasn't overly "lively" it was fun and musical. Part of that certainly has to do with the Sound Stage of the SA6. The sound does not come from "inside your head" as it does on other IEMs - it is as close to wearing good "over the ear" earphones in terms of sound stage as I have experience with a Canal Phone or IEM. The sounds comes from everywhere - the musicians were truly surrounding me and I was enveloped in great musical sound quality. This is one of those things that needs to be experienced to be truly appreciated.'

Mar 27, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must like an extreme amount of bass with your music if you think the SA6 are lacking in that department.

I'm not a basshead, and I would have liked more bass! And judging by the amount of people interested in a ++ port, I imagine there are others who also feel the bass is slightly lacking, despite the great overall sound.

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryM63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the heads up on the typo - it has been fixed. I have to believe there is a nicer way to let me know about that.

Sorry, didn't mean it to be offensive.
Seriously: nice write-up.

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a basshead, and I would have liked more bass! And judging by the amount of people interested in a ++ port, I imagine there are others who also feel the bass is slightly lacking, despite the great overall sound.

The first issue of the SA6 were actually a lot leaner in the bass. After some experimenting and feedback from me Jason decided on a change that made me (and I believe a lot of other people too) completely happy.
BUT, if you want MORE bass try this: REMOVE THE BASS PORT COMPLETELY and let me know what you think of the bass then.
It is what I did when experimenting. I also picked holes of different sizes in the back of the ports and such....

edit: I was very careful of course with the bass ports removed and shoved a piece of foam in the opening to protect the innards.

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #11 of 14
Any SA6 owners who have done what Kees suggested in regards to the removal of the bass port?

How did you find the bass when you removed the bass port??

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 14
I find it to be slightly stronger than B+ port, but not too much.

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"Cymbals".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back