Sleek Audio SA6 Does Not Deliver
Apr 29, 2008 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

syed786

100+ Head-Fier
sleeks only looks good but does not sound as good as like other ultimate ears's offerings triple fi's or super fi's. to prove it to you all head fiers
check and read it carefully this review from CNET and you'll know.
i have trusted Cnet from all my purchasings and they know what they doing when they r give a rating to a such product...

Sleek Audio SA6 earphones Headphone reviews - CNET Reviews

AND MAKE SURE YOU CLICK ON THE 7.0 RATING TO SEE THE PERFORMACE AND OTHER RATINGS

Apr 29, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 21
Y'know, as much as I hate to admit it, I think the CNET review and the rating is justified. You guys can read my long-titled thread to understand my thoughts further.

Apr 29, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So CNET has the final say in which headphones are best? Have you even compared the Sleek SA6 and UE's yourself?

lol that was my first thing in my mind I wanted to type to the OP; he does need to get off his soapbox.
rolleyes.gif

But for the heck of it, I will say right now that I personally have spent enough time with the UE super.fi 5 Pro, triple.fi 10 Pro, and SA6.

I sold the super.fi, left the triple.fi alone at its display booth after awhile (darn things are so expensive), and just sent the SA6 back to SoundEarphones.
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 21
cnet also said the Denon AH-C751 had a 'much' better midrange than its predecessor the C700. Shame they didn't bother to check it was exactly the same earphone before they reviewed it as a 'new' model. The only difference (as confirmed by Denon when I called), was a carrying case and extension cable. Although I always took their reviews with a pinch of salt before, after that laughable review on the C751s, I now take them with a pinch of that pinch!!

Sometimes I actually agree with their reviews, gasp!! But very often their reviews and user reviews are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I liked the SA6 a lot - but ended up returning them due to fit issues and some inexplicable issue with vocals that I wasn't able to put into words
confused.gif

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I needed more bass!

EXTRA EDIT: I reviewed the C751 myself on cnet just to point out they had reviewed it as a new earphone when it wasn't. And surprise surprise, they didn't print my comment because, ummm,
it would have made them look stupid.

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 21
To the OP: what make you think CNET's review is the 'end-all'? Do you have enough experience to those IEM mentioned in the review to accurately judge them for yourself, or maybe you just merely repeating what other has told you?

One should avoids making sensational claim with thing (s)he has no experience with!

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by syed786 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sleeks only looks good but does not sound as good as like other ultimate ears's offerings triple fi's or super fi's. to prove it to you all head fiers
i have trusted Cnet from all my purchasings and they know what they doing when they r give a rating to a such product...

AND MAKE SURE YOU CLICK ON THE 7.0 RATING TO SEE THE PERFORMACE AND OTHER RATINGS

I just wanted to quote him for later lulz.
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #9 of 21
have you(syed786) ever heard the sa6 for yourself? listen/experience it before you bash...

Apr 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #10 of 21
Well, the review wasn't all that negative - they just mentioned the Sleek does not fare as well against other earphones in its price range. They also mentioned that the modularity of the Sleek results in lots of "little parts" that were easy to lose. I find the modularity of the Sleek to be one of the biggest advantages, providing Sleek Audio follows through with their ideas
smily_headphones1.gif

Different strokes for different folks. I happen to have the Sleek, Atrios M8 and the UE TF10. Each gives a different presentation to the music, they all have quirks and strong points. In all honesty, the Sleek does not fare badly at all, in my own opinion. I like the comfort (their biflanges rock!), clean sound, the treble clarity and the warm, non fatiguing mids. The bass was a little lacking, but could be fixed with some judicious EQ'ing.

Similarly, the CNET reviewer was also expressing his own opinion
biggrin.gif
And CNET is a sort of a "generalist" kind of gadget site - I feel their reviews are not necessarily the "last word" when it comes to audio (or photography, for the matter)
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #11 of 21
i don't see too many reveiws about the pioneer phones that are the same idea as the sleek: one driver and ports. wonder which one actually came out earlier. the pioneer is much cheaper: about 165$ usd.

haha just checked out the personal reviews in the bottom: they are all headfiers. so cnet may not be reliable but neither are the personal reviews. headfi review in perhaps a more methodical but biased way. cnet do not seem to be as stacked for fotm. im sure sa6 are wonderful but will they be in 3 - 9 months like the denon c700 are and the atrio m5 still are as well as the superfi pro.

once we get over fotm, we can see how good they actually are.

Apr 29, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by syed786 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am usually not very impressed by CNET's opinions.
But what is YOUR opinion of the SA6?
How do they compare to your other IEMs?

Apr 29, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does he have the new treble (++) and new better bass port?

The review is quite old so it could be because he lacks the newer and better ports.

As I also remarked as a comment on the review itself: they did NOT have the improved bass port and the trebble ++ port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back