Slee Solo "better" than FX CanAmp, Headfive, why?
Jun 8, 2007 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

wildebassman

100+ Head-Fier
I know all things are a matter of perception and taste...
I have been listening to the Corda Arietta amp for about a week now with
different cans; HD600, ATH911, ATH-M40, RP-20 and PX100.
While I think it's a decent amp I do miss some musical involvement, it feels a bit sterile, and lacks power with some cans (ATH 911). Actually I prefer the cheap PX100's on this amp...

Now this all seems to be off topic but... then a man starts reading again and wants to know what would be a really good alround musical SS State amp with plenty of power.

One should think that FX the Graham Slee Solo should be one of the creme de la creme amps, or some are raving about the Heed CanAmp, what about the chinese SS amps, are there some hidden gems?

To be honest I don't know where to start now, I am not in a place where I can audition a lot of amps.

Please give some input...

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 8
unfortunately for many of us in countries without large communities with regular meets you have only a few options

1. read and research and put faith in the impressions of others
2. take advantage of money back guarantees or trial periods
3. buy and sell users for relatively little loss

sadly because of shipping costs 2 and 3 are difficult for those in far away countries, so pretty much all my purchases have been made blind

of course you could take a holiday to the USA during the next head-fest, but even impressions during meets are difficult due to the noise/surroundings etc.

to address your question the Canamp has plenty of power, will make your HD600s sound great but the rest of your cans I can't really say...

To be honest it seems lately a lot of the chinese focus has been on tubed home amps and compact SS portables. SS home amps lack somewhat. For ideas just check the forums regularly and type the name of your headphones into the search feature of the amps sub forum and see what others users are pairing your headphones with

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #3 of 8
The Heed Canamp is marvelous for its price. I remember Pink Floyd telling in the big Canamp thread that he much preferred it over the Solo, and he really know these amps.
By the way, I think there is a meet in july where I am sure you will be able to test a Heed.

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to address your question the Canamp has plenty of power, will make your HD600s sound great but the rest of your cans I can't really say...

Yes the Heed is an interesting alternative to the Corda arietta I think..
The Corda I can still send back to Jan Meier, he gives a 30 day money
back guarantee, the same with Heed actually, I maíled them and because there is no distributor here I can buy direct with a discount and a 30 day trail period, seems like a way to go..

Dennis.

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 8
I have a borrowed Corda Headfive and IMO the Heed is well above it. The Arietta is an improved version, but I suppose they are pretty similar. I find it a little warm and with rolled off highs. The Canamp has much more power and has a wonderful clarity along all the spectrum. Its sound is more balanced. I think is more dinamic and "fun" than the Headfive and its soundstage is much better. I truly think that the Heed is well above its price.

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildebassman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes the Heed is an interesting alternative to the Corda arietta I think..
The Corda I can still send back to Jan Meier, he gives a 30 day money
back guarantee, the same with Heed actually, I maíled them and because there is no distributor here I can buy direct with a discount and a 30 day trail period, seems like a way to go..

Dennis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a borrowed Corda Headfive and IMO the Heed is well above it. The Arietta is an improved version, but I suppose they are pretty similar. I find it a little warm and with rolled off highs. The Canamp has much more power and has a wonderful clarity along all the spectrum. Its sound is more balanced. I think is more dinamic and "fun" than the Headfive and its soundstage is much better. I truly think that the Heed is well above its price.

Carlos, I think I will go for the Heed, very good reviews and so on..
Thanks a lot for your input!

Dennis

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildebassman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One should think that FX the Graham Slee Solo should be one of the creme de la creme amps, or some are raving about the Heed CanAmp, what about the chinese SS amps, are there some hidden gems?

To be honest I don't know where to start now, I am not in a place where I can audition a lot of amps.

Please give some input...

You are in a dangerous state ´cause you are confused and want some input. But you have been warned: "Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet!"

But in the end it´s just about your money. Other people bomb themself in the air, ´caused they get told it´s the right thing to do (and you meet a lot of virgins afterwards)

I for myself suffer mostly from the time a spend reading all the nonsense here, and writing my own unproofed "thruths". Then it´s come to spend my money i take more care of myself. I mostly buy at shops i trust and who give me the oportunity to send the unit back if it is not as advertised.

I still get problems to get the stuff i paid for or to get my money back if i returned the unit. That´s why i read so much in the internet. But i take everything with a lot grains of salt.

In the end only my feelings decide. "One should think that FX the Graham Slee Solo should be one of the creme de la creme amps" No, nobody have to think this. If i prefer sonically something else, this one is the right for me. And i don´t care that nobody presents so good facts and numbers for this.

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 8
I have read that the Graham Slee Solo is a wonderful unit which will impress the heck out of the user. I would love the opportunity to listen to one and I am working on getting a sample.

Based on what I have read I would venture to say that the Solo is a couple of levels above the Heed. But it does cost twice as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back