SL550 or Jaguar XKR?
Apr 1, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #62 of 73
A 7 digit net work person would not want to be seen in a Volkswagen, let alone a person with a 9 digit net worth
tongue.gif
I guess if you were to get the Phaeton, it would have to be the W12 version
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #64 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AMV8 isn't available in a slushbox yet and the DB9 is more than I want to spend on his car.

In that case, if you spend little more there's a Bentley Continental GT.
I do like the Maserati GT alot, but no avail at the moment.

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #65 of 73
i remembered he mentioned no bentleys, bmws and japanese

thats why i mentioned SKODA

Apr 1, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #67 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i remembered he mentioned no bentleys, bmws and japanese

thats why i mentioned SKODA

He also mentioned that it must be reliable and that his father-in-law didn't want to be in the shop once a month. Of course, with a Skoda it wouldn't because where would one find a Skoda shop?
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #68 of 73
If you read the thread, the OP has stated his father-in-law is no car snob, he just has certain brand preferences and biases, as we all do.

And THAT's why the Phaeton has got to be on the list.

Apr 2, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #69 of 73
Of course there are exceptions, but not a single even moderately wealthy person I know owns a VW. Sure, the Phaeton is a great car, but even something like the A8L (same car basically) has more cachet.

Whether deserved or not, VW simply has the reputation of being a poor mans Audi.

Apr 2, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #70 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course there are exceptions, but not a single even moderately wealthy person I know owns a VW. Sure, the Phaeton is a great car, but even something like the A8L (same car basically) has more cachet.

Whether deserved or not, VW simply has the reputation of being a poor mans Audi.

The Phaeton is a disaster in Hong Kong for the very same reasons. It's not exactly a cheap car and for the same money, you could be getting yourself a LS460, 730iL, A8, XJ6, etc...

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #71 of 73
All right, all right. I'll take the Phaeton, Sleestack. And the Maserati(s).
biggrin.gif
Seriously, I really like Uncle Erik's idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Possibly a longshot, but have you considered a nicely restored vintage car? You might be able to nose around a little and find a model that he owned and loved in the past, or maybe a car he always wanted. Older cars can be quite reliable and most can be upgraded with modern drivetrains, suspension and brakes. For such a generous gift, something personal and unique might be appreciated.

Apr 2, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #72 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AMV8 isn't available in a slushbox yet and the DB9 is more than I want to spend on his car.

Aston is releasing a new version of the V8 that uses a variation of the same auto tranny used in the Ferrari F430 and Lambo Gallardo. The new Vantage Sportshift goes on sale in May and if I were you I'd take a look into it. I've seen it drive by several times and as hard as it is to believe, it sounds and looks even better than it does on camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back