SL550 or Jaguar XKR?
Mar 23, 2007 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

Sleestack

Headphoneus Supremus
I need to buy a car for someone and have narrowed it to these 2 choices. I know pretty much all I need to know about MBs because our family has a bunch of them, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the new XKR. Anyone know about the reliability of the XKR and whether it rides as soft as the Jags of old? How about fit & finish?

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 73
that's so thoughtful of you, Sleestack, thanks! tell you what, just get me the SL550 and call it a day.

you're a pal.
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 73
Reliability and Jaguar really don't ever belong in the same sentence.
My S type R was in the shop 39 times in 41 months. From what i've
been told the new XKR is all the same old parts stuck in a new body.
Sure is gorgeous however. Wheels are a guaranteed to bend after
the first major pothole and they are $1500 each. Its always the
fronts that bend for some reason. Auto adjusting headlights consistently
fail about every 14 months and end up pointing way high. Vacuum
line to the brakes likes to flatten causing the no power brakes syndrome.

Get a plastic car, have more fun and save a bunch of cash. Not the
least of which is its 1 to 2 seconds faster than the xkr.

Or for a little less than the xkr get the plastic car with the callaway
supercharger/intake/exhaust kit, now supported directly from GM
with full warranty. 560 horsepower and 0 to 60 time of 3.3 seconds.
Way lots of fun.

Mar 23, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just go all out and go with the Brabus CLS Rocket
eek.gif
eek.gif

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=2475

Brabus isn't the way to go for extreme MB performance tuning, but they do put out some excellent looking cars with nice performance upgrades. I'm not at all a fan of the CLS or new CL and S.

This car isn't for me, so it needs to be a bit more mellow and understated.

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reliability and Jaguar really don't ever belong in the same sentence.
My S type R was in the shop 39 times in 41 months. From what i've
been told the new XKR is all the same old parts stuck in a new body.
Sure is gorgeous however. Wheels are a guaranteed to bend after
the first major pothole and they are $1500 each. Its always the
fronts that bend for some reason. Auto adjusting headlights consistently
fail about every 14 months and end up pointing way high. Vacuum
line to the brakes likes to flatten causing the no power brakes syndrome.

Get a plastic car, have more fun and save a bunch of cash. Not the
least of which is its 1 to 2 seconds faster than the xkr.

Or for a little less than the xkr get the plastic car with the callaway
supercharger/intake/exhaust kit, now supported directly from GM
with full warranty. 560 horsepower and 0 to 60 time of 3.3 seconds.
Way lots of fun.

Unfortunately, that's always been my opinion of Jags. I thought things got much better after Ford bought them out? What year was your Jag?

Plastic car with monster performance won't be appropriate for this driver.
I think I'm going to have get him the SL550.

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 73
Check out the Top Gear video of the Jag XKR and think about it again
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by panik343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get him the aston martin v8 vantage. Unbelievable driving car.

No stick for him. The DB9 would be perfect, but it is not reliable as a daily driver.

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 73
Who's "him"?

Mar 23, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who's "him"?

My father in-law. He bought me a $400K country club membership, so I'm showing my thanks on a smaller scale. He doesn't like pure sports cars, 4 doors or having to take his car to the shop every other week. He is sick of CLs and won't consider BMWs, Audis, Bentleys or Japanese cars.

Mar 23, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #12 of 73
I imagine he'd be happy with the SL550 then. It's hard to complain about that car, it did quite a bit quite competently. But man, it's boring as heck.

Still it is reliable. If I was riding with the then-girlfriend, now wife, the SL500 was always a guaranteed comfortable drive/road trip. Tho honestly, I'd rather deal with the headaches of a more passionate vehicle if I'm on my own. Heck, I found my ancient E36 323i more interesting than the '04 SL500, though I put over 15k miles on each.

SL550 should do fine. If it's a pretty colour, it still will get attention on the streets of Los Altos Hills and people will comment when you take it on a quick whirl, getting a coffee at the Tully's near Main St.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 23, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I imagine he'd be happy with the SL550 then. It's hard to complain about that car, but man, it's boring as heck.

Still it is reliable. If I was riding with the then-girlfriend, now wife, the SL500 was always a guaranteed comfortable drive/road trip. Tho honestly, I'd rather deal with the headaches of a more passionate vehicle if I'm on my own. Heck, I found my ancient E36 323i more interesting than the '04 SL500, though I put over 15k miles on each.

SL550 should do fine. If it's a pretty colour, it still will get attention on the streets of Los Altos Hills and people will comment when you take it on a quick whirl, getting a coffee at the Tully's near Main St.

Best,

-Jason

I hear you. I wouldn't want one, but I'm not 70 years old either. In Los Altos you see at least a dozen a day. Even the head pro at the country club drives a SL55... but he IS Julie Inkster's husband. I actually find MB's unreliable b/c of all the ECU and technology related problems.

Mar 23, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #14 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear you. I wouldn't want one, but I'm not 70 years old either. In Los Altos you see at least a dozen a day. Even the head pro at the country club drives a SL55... but he IS Julie Inkster's husband. I actually find MB's unreliable b/c of all the ECU and technology related problems.

Yeah, there are tons of MB out there. But there's a certain camaraderie as a result. I remember situations like one time, pulling up for gas off of Foothill, and I hear a guy comment "nice car" - and I go to look and he's got a SL500 as well. So, even despite the fact they are a dime a dozen in 94022, I don't think a SL550 would make you feel like you're not keeping up with the Joneses, even in Palo Alto Hills. At least IMHO.

Now a SL55 AMG... that's a different beast, altogether. I must admit, I am curious about driving one of those... of course I'd want to drop at least a couple hundred pounds of weight from it first...

Oh, almost forgot - which country club? (dunno as I'm not much of a golfer...)

Best,

-Jason

Mar 23, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brabus isn't the way to go for extreme MB performance tuning, but they do put out some excellent looking cars with nice performance upgrades. I'm not at all a fan of the CLS or new CL and S.

This car isn't for me, so it needs to be a bit more mellow and understated.

I just saw in the Veyron thread you have a 700hp Benz with some wicked seats .. mind posting some exterior/engine shots?

icon10.gif
icon10.gif

I'll throw out another longshot ... Cadillac STS-V ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back