Skydiver survives 15,000 foot fall.
Dec 24, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Holmes, who was wearing a helmet-mounted video camera, was taping a group of 10 people from Taupo Tandem Skydiving when the mishap occurred, according to The Age, an Australian news Web site.

Oh my god. I did a tandem skydive at lake Taupo (where this guy fell) last summer when I was in NZ. Scary stuff...

Dec 24, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #18 of 22
I remember hearing about a skydiver who's chutes totally failed who survived after landing on power lines, which cushioned is fall. Lucky man
tongue.gif

Dec 24, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember hearing about a skydiver who's chutes totally failed who survived after landing on power lines, which cushioned is fall. Lucky man
tongue.gif

Part of skydiving mythology.
cool.gif

My personal favorite:
Jumpers don't need to breath in freefall due to oxygen being forced through the skin.
blink.gif
Skydivers will tell this to anyone who will listen.

What's even better:
I remember an episode of National Geographic Explorer documenting skydiving. At the end of the piece was a little "factoid". They repeated the same myth! I was shocked. They didn't bother checking their facts. Skydivers are not fish.

Dec 24, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #20 of 22
I have well over 850 jumps while in the army both freefall and static line jumps and have had one mishap. It was a low level static line jump where my chute had a cigerett roll and I did not have time to open my reserve. All that happened was I bit through my tounge, crushed 2 vertebra, and had a secere concussion. I took a year for physical therapy and when I had to go back up I was pretty scared. Eventually I got over it but I still have a lot of back pain on and off.

Dec 24, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have well over 850 jumps while in the army both freefall and static line jumps and have had one mishap. It was a low level static line jump where my chute had a cigerett roll and I did not have time to open my reserve.

Wow, all military? I thought people only racked up that many as civilian jumpers. I had no idea.

I got the hell out on jump #28 (civilian jumps). Bad down wind landing on the tarmac. I was jumping at new dropzone on borrowed gear (real dumb). Scared me to death. I can't bring myself to sell my rig though. I,m sure I'll get back up one day.

Quote:

All that happened was I bit through my tounge, crushed 2 vertebra, and had a secere concussion. I took a year for physical therapy and when I had to go back up I was pretty scared. Eventually I got over it but I still have a lot of back pain on and off.

That's all.
blink.gif
Luckily, I escaped long term injuries.

That tongue thing sounds harsh partner.

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A falling body eventually reaches a terminal velocity due to air drag. I'm not sure how long it takes for people but I do know it's only like 7 feet for a ping-pong ball (physics student).

table tennis ball. that also depends on what type of ball it is. if it is stiga optimum which is heavier, it would be much quicker acceleration as well as full speed versus probably what you used, a 'ping pong' ball primarily used by the people who do not play table tennis... light, poor craftsship and has a rift between the two halves. if you spin it on a table, it will wobble.

a good ball will not wobble, weighs quite a bit more and today is 40mm. it also depends on if it is a modern 40 or an older 38mm ball. many more factors than just one experiment. if we are talking speed, my loop smash is good, but my friend loops with his schlager blade fast enough to leave wounds harder than the guns they give you at a paintball recreational facility!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back