Skullcandy Titans
Nov 1, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #31 of 40
I have the Titans and can tell you only one thing, they are much clearer than my UE.3's and offer more real base than my Shure SEL2's. I think the issue with many of the reviews is burn in time. These buds need a good 25hrs at a click over listenalbe to open up. I dont know if I got a bad batch on my UE.3s but they are so stuck in the mud I wont stick them in my ears anymore. As for build quality, I am on my second pair of Shures because of the famous cable cracking around the ear. Once you bend the loop on the Shures dont dare go the other way or they may break.

Hope this helps, just an honest opinion,

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #32 of 40
I purchased a pair of Titans and Ink'd, and I am not disappointed with my purchase. They have lots of bass but it's relatively defined, and the mids and treble are present as well. Honestly The Titan and Ink'd sound relatively similar, I believe they share the same drivers. People trash em all the time, but I prefer these to my old Kramer Modded KSC75's, or Kramer Modded Marshmallows.

Just my .02 cents.

Joel

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #33 of 40
I purchased the Titan about two weeks ago and I have let the burn in for about two days. I actually forgot they were playing on the computer so that's why. LoL. Either way, I don't think 1000 hours of burn in would do much to save these.

The bass is overpowering. It takes over and controls the music. The bass is fat, slow, bloated and really single noted.

The mids aren't as terrible as I would have thought. Although not particularly clear or detailed they are musical and have some body to them. I think vocals are the titan's best feature. Fairly acceptable really. They weren't washed out by the bass as was other parts of the music is by the boomy bass.

The highs are much harsher than I would have liked but don't seem to roll off too early.

Soundstage, attack, decay are words that aren't on the vocabulary of this Skullcandy. They are quite one dimensional in those aspects.

Build quality is fair. The cord is thin and cheap. It seems fragile. The body of the IEM is made of some metal but not built with any precision and the look is also cheap. I do like the little clam shell case it comes with.

The best feature of the Skullcandy Titan is that they're pretty darn comfortable. So comfy you could sleep in them. That is if the bass didn't literally give me a bad headache.

I wouldn't recommend these. Not even when given for their retail price as a consideration. In my opinion, they certainly are unworthy of being on a top ten best headphones list such as the one on Headroom. The iGrado are better for a similar price.

I haven't listened to as many cans as some on here but I know what I don't like and I don't like the Titan.

Thanks for reading

Ross

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #34 of 40
I've been listening to these for a few days now. Yes, they are better than I expected. Yes, they will probably satisfy a basshead's sinful urges without breaking a sweat. However, they are lacking soooo badly in detail. I just switched to them from the similarly-priced Soundmagic PL50 and I seriously feel like I lost a part of the music. Sure, the bass, mids, and treble are all there and there is even some amount of clarity to the latter two, but IMO it's not a worthy tradeoff. They are also very harsh at the top end. The guitar intro in Authority Zero's One More Minute (yes, not the best mastering ever) is just unbearable with these. It makes me want to cry a little.

Whoever said that they are similar to the Skullcandy Ink'd had it spot-on. I actually have always liked the Ink'd, mainly because they cost $10 and for that I can ignore the atrocious build quality and flat sound for the decent bass impact and relative clarity and balance of mids and highs. However, I cannot ignore lack of depth in an earphone with an MSRP of $50. Listening to a live recording of Rodrigo y Gabriela's Paris I was absolutely amazed by how one-dimensional the recording sounded.

Also, on the note of comfort, at least for me, the bulges in the housing are too close to the nozzle and I start to feel pressure after a while. They're not uncomfortable, but personally I'll take a straght-barrel IEM over these any day.

So really, while these are better than I expected, they are just not on-level with much of the (admittedly lesser-known) competition. And while I do like the bass and agree that these are probably the best thing a 13-year old with a bunch of 128kbps mp3s on the latest-gen ipod has ever heard, I don't know what possessed headroom to put these on the list, especially so close to Maximo's stellar Im-590 IEMs (which are actually in the same price category as the Titans but oh-so-much better).

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been listening to these for a few days now. Yes, they are better than I expected. Yes, they will probably satisfy a basshead's sinful urges without breaking a sweat. However, they are lacking soooo badly in detail. I just switched to them from the similarly-priced Soundmagic PL50 and I seriously feel like I lost a part of the music. Sure, the bass, mids, and treble are all there and there is even some amount of clarity to the latter two, but IMO it's not a worthy tradeoff. They are also very harsh at the top end. The guitar intro in Authority Zero's One More Minute (yes, not the best mastering ever) is just unbearable with these. It makes me want to cry a little.

Whoever said that they are similar to the Skullcandy Ink'd had it spot-on. I actually have always liked the Ink'd, mainly because they cost $10 and for that I can ignore the atrocious build quality and flat sound for the decent bass impact and relative clarity and balance of mids and highs. However, I cannot ignore lack of depth in an earphone with an MSRP of $50. Listening to a live recording of Rodrigo y Gabriela's Paris I was absolutely amazed by how one-dimensional the recording sounded.

Also, on the note of comfort, at least for me, the bulges in the housing are too close to the nozzle and I start to feel pressure after a while. They're not uncomfortable, but personally I'll take a straght-barrel IEM over these any day.

So really, while these are better than I expected, they are just not on-level with much of the (admittedly lesser-known) competition. And while I do like the bass and agree that these are probably the best thing a 13-year old with a bunch of 128kbps mp3s on the latest-gen ipod has ever heard, I don't know what possessed headroom to put these on the list, especially so close to Maximo's stellar Im-590 IEMs (which are actually in the same price category as the Titans but oh-so-much better).

you got one thing wrong; probarly the majority of 13 year old kids get music through illegal means, which seem to be at least 320 kb mp3(or around there); unless they use limewire... in which case they deserve 1kb mp3 files, and a load full of viruses, including key loggers...which they have no idea about, and then when they go to use all there secure info/parents secure info they'll get hacked....
evil_smiley.gif

hehe...ermm... but ya I was thinking the same thing, the IM-590s are in roughly the same price range as the titians, and so far they are sounding pretty good to me
smily_headphones1.gif
though I've never tried any SC, none them sound like they are worth it(expect for possibley the ink'd, in a price bass ratio).

Nov 8, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by muxenle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you got one thing wrong; probarly the majority of 13 year old kids get music through illegal means, which seem to be at least 320 kb mp3(or around there)

Eh, just shows how long it's been since I've used iTunes. I still remember apple charging more per track for 256 kbps after the whole DRM debacle. I still have some 128 kbps tracks and remember ripping friends' CDs to 128k (using RealPlayer, no less) to fit as many as I could on my 1Gb Sandisk SDMX1.

Regardless, I really don't think I could differentiate between 192k and flac with the Titans. They just don't resolve well enough.

And lol, Price:Bass ratio. That's a good alternative way of ranking headphones for the general public. Spoiler: skullcandy wins.

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by omega52 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have a lifetime warranty.
How did they break BTW?

The wire connecting to the right (or was it left? I can't remember) driver broke; rather than taking SK up on the warranty, I decided to use it as an excuse to upgrade.

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #39 of 40
well, I realize this thread is old, but Skullcandy Titans are my favorites! They do have a lot of bass-is that a "bad" thing? Not for me-I love bass and the deep bass is amazing. Also very closed in that you don't hear anything outside of them at even a modest volume. These are also the most comfortable earbuds I've ever owned and they also don't fall out. In addition, I never had a problem with breakage. I feel the cord is thicker, anyway than the Koss earbuds I used to have (which I went through 3 or 4 pairs which broke with the thin wires 'til I finally gave up on them).

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #40 of 40
well, I realize this thread is old, but Skullcandy Titans are my favorites! They do have a lot of bass-is that a "bad" thing? Not for me-I love bass and the deep bass is amazing. Also very closed in that you don't hear anything outside of them at even a modest volume. These are also the most comfortable earbuds I've ever owned and they also don't fall out. In addition, I never had a problem with breakage. I feel the cord is thicker, anyway than the Koss earbuds I used to have (which I went through 3 or 4 pairs which broke with the thin wires 'til I finally gave up on them).

I second this. They really aren't bad at all. But considering I only own them and a QC15, along with brief audition of the K550, D600, and Momentum, feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt :p

Am debating whether its worth it to cough up $300 and upgrade to the W3. We shall see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back