Skullcandy Ink'd Review (yes, I'm serious)
Sep 4, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #31 of 71
It's good to see a review of a low end product.

Without knowledge of the bad, we can't truly appreciate the good. That's why I have at least tried most macrobrews which cannot hold a candle to that of Great Lakes, Rogue, Chimay, Stone, etc.

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #32 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice one joker

I really liked the part of not having L or R indicators. That shows that teens nowadays don't give a crap about their music. That also explains why I could see some guys at the underground with some ibuds wearing the right on left ear and the other way around.

I actually saw a "review" on youtube where the "reviewer" was singing SC's praises since "they don't have the little L and R, they don't have to be put in one ear or the other!" - one of the dumbest comments I have ever heard.

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #33 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
. As for the choice of earphones, I had quite few to pick from but wanted to do something that hasn't been reviewed into oblivion since I don't want to compete with mark, ClieOS, jant79, etc. I thought of starting my own review thread if this one is well-received, so I might just do that.

Quite right!

May 17, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #34 of 71
I just found a pair of these and thought they'd be just garbage.  However, I decided to give them a fair chance and plugged them into my Cowon D2 and I was fairly surprised: These are WAY better than other SkullCandy products I've happened to listen to in the past.  The best sub $20 IEMs I've listened to.  The build, shape & sound reminds me somewhat of the V-Moda Vibes (toned-down version).  If the Vibes are a 10, these deliver about 7.5/10 of the Vibe performance. 

Not bad, not bad at all for under $20. 

Side note:  The pair I have do have L & R markers  (very small L/R stamped in black indented in the housing just below the skull icons that are visible facing the outside of your ear when you're wearing them

May 17, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #35 of 71
joker, you need to try the Hesh next. I tried a pair of that the other day(prefer that over the alternative, which was a pair of low end Sony's that I know I had) that was held together with gorilla glue and honestly can't say they are that bad for $30 that they are. High's a bit harsh, there is no bass and not very musical, but you listen to some early iron and wine and it'll do fine for that price.

May 17, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #36 of 71

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice one joker

I really liked the part of not having L or R indicators. That shows that teens nowadays don't give a crap about their music. That also explains why I could see some guys at the underground with some ibuds wearing the right on left ear and the other way around.

I actually saw a "review" on youtube where the "reviewer" was singing SC's praises since "they don't have the little L and R, they don't have to be put in one ear or the other!" - one of the dumbest comments I have ever heard.

Didn't you know you are not supposed to believe anything they say on youtube?

What's worse, is that many of them are very pretentious and act like they are teaching us something useful or saying something intelligent. I only watch documentary clips on youtube.

May 17, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #37 of 71
I own a pair of these and I'm certain they do have L and R markings.  I'll check when I get home, but for now look at where the cable goes into the IEM, just above the flex grooves.  They are mega-tiny, but they should be there.

I agreed with your assessment of them, and even if I didn't I'm still glad you reviewed these.  I found them just fine for their price, especially since I got them for $10 new on clearance at a local FYE last year.  I don't use them anymore since my JVC Air Cushions FX-66's are my 'budget' standbys.

May 17, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #39 of 71
Wow, this is a surprise. I wasn't expecting to see this thread resurrected. Ah, nostalgia - first full IEM review 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I just found a pair of these and thought they'd be just garbage.  However, I decided to give them a fair chance and plugged them into my Cowon D2 and I was fairly surprised: These are WAY better than other SkullCandy products I've happened to listen to in the past.  The best sub $20 IEMs I've listened to.  The build, shape & sound reminds me somewhat of the V-Moda Vibes (toned-down version).  If the Vibes are a 10, these deliver about 7.5/10 of the Vibe performance. 

Not bad, not bad at all for under $20. 

Side note:  The pair I have do have L & R markers  (very small L/R stamped in black indented in the housing just below the skull icons that are visible facing the outside of your ear when you're wearing them)

Quote:
I own a pair of these and I'm certain they do have L and R markings.  I'll check when I get home, but for now look at where the cable goes into the IEM, just above the flex grooves.  They are mega-tiny, but they should be there.

I agreed with your assessment of them, and even if I didn't I'm still glad you reviewed these.  I found them just fine for their price, especially since I got them for $10 new on clearance at a local FYE last year.  I don't use them anymore since my JVC Air Cushions FX-66's are my 'budget' standbys.

I promise I searched my pair all over for L/R markings. It is possible that with all of the color schemes of these out there that multiple revisions exist. Or that I'm just blind as a bat and didn't see them at the time. I had a green pair of Ink'd at a later date and they did have L/R markings. Sadly my original set fell off my desk and one of the housings cracked, after which they took a trip into the rubbish bin.

May 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #40 of 71
Ah, gotcha, joker.  Yeah, it seems like even the cabling for this series varies.  Seems like a terrible oversight on SkullCandy's part; I hate putting IEMs in the wrong ears! :)

May 29, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #41 of 71
I needed something to tide me over 'til my Thinksound Rains arrive.
Picked up the Ink'd from the rat shack down the block.

They seem adequately made.  And, for me, with the small earpieces, plenty comfortable.
Not too microphonic.   No L/R markings on my set.  (Until I got out my Sharpie.)

But nasty, tinny sounding things.  Absitively, posolutely no bass.
And this with the Ipod Classic set to the 'Small Speakers' eq setting.

Please Mr. Postman, bring me my Rains soon.

- Richard

P.S. - Listening to Dave Bromberg's Statesboro Blues now ... no paragon of fidelity, but tolerable.

May 30, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #42 of 71
Quote:
P.S. - Listening to Dave Bromberg's Statesboro Blues now ... no paragon of fidelity, but tolerable.

Yep, 'tolerable' would be my one-word description of them as well. However, I am a bit perplexed by your commend on them lacking bass. They don't have a well-defined punch like the Rains or other higher-priced IEMs but they do produce copious amounts of lower frequencies. I would agree with them sounding tinny as they just lack fullness, but the lack of bass is not something I'd attribute to them personally. Do you experience the bassless-ness with all tips or just the small ones?

May 30, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #43 of 71

Quote:
Quote:

... I am a bit perplexed by your commend on them lacking bass. They don't have a well-defined punch like the Rains or other higher-priced IEMs but they do produce copious amounts of lower frequencies. ... but the lack of bass is not something I'd attribute to them personally. Do you experience the bassless-ness with all tips or just the small ones?

Small tips = no bass.  With the mediums, the bass improves significantly, as does the isolation & (understandably & unfortunately) microphonics.  So my lesson for the day is that playing with the tips is like playing with room acoustics & speaker position.  Thanks for the question.

Other thoughts -
i) the quality control is likely 'iffy' on these, so it wouldn't surprise me to see varying sonic qualities.
ii) they may change with play-in

Aftermarket tips may be in my future (tho' the Rains come with four sizes, so hopefully one will strike a good balance).

Cheers,

- Richard

May 31, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #45 of 71
I don't know if you remember me, I was the guys of the wicked IEMs.. I fixed those by pushing skullcandy's tips onto them with brutal force and they work flawlessly.. 
dt880smile.png
 ..I'll take some pics and let you see if I ever get the chance.

However, this was not my point. I actually read your review since I was curious about your thoughs onto these cheepy candies.. Well, your words do match my feelings about them but I just wanted to let you know that the L/R signs are existent and you can find them on the back of both cable seams. Good job with the review though, it totally matches these earphone's performance.

Ps: I agree with you on the GI's too.. They are possibly the biggest failure in human history every (except for the bottle opener) and I hated them so much I torn them apart and made myself some schoolbag speakers. Oh and.. I DID NOT PAY FOR THEM!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back