Skullcandy Ink'd Review (yes, I'm serious)
Aug 26, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #16 of 71
I have the same ones and I agree with this review in most cases, I especially like the cable and plug. It is very convenient and fits even over my iPhone's case. I also feel the sound quality does seem very bland, or as you said "lifeless." Every muffled snare hit makes me more sad than the one before it...

deadhorse.gif

My ears don't like the fit. They aren't comfortable, but I have ugly and awkwardly shaped ears. At least they are pretty stylish.

I can't wait to get my Etymotic HF2's! They are on their way from Honolulu. I am new to the high-quality market and I plan on buying some Alien Ears in a few months when I can afford them. I would like to go all out and get the triples...

Aug 26, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #17 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really liked the part of not having L or R indicators. That shows that teens nowadays don't give a crap about their music. That also explains why I could see some guys at the underground with some ibuds wearing the right on left ear and the other way around.

Some people claim that wearing them backwards makes the asymmetrical ibuds louder. The hearing loss associated with maxing out the volume on ibuds also goes a long way towards explaining how people tolerate them to begin with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's pretty hillarious that they don't come with L/R markers. I really don't know of any other headphone that does that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...] the business of not marking L or R certainly escapes me...

Bar none the worst headphones I own are the parts-express mini headphones (purchased for the headband, of course) and even they have left and right markings despite the fact that I would have trouble telling whether they are mono or stereo if the promotional materials didn't make it perfectly clear. Exactly what skullcandy was thinking here eludes me as well. I wonder if the higher-end skullcandy IEMs are properly marked...

Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the skullcandy titan in the past before I stumbled into headfi
biggrin.gif
but seriously they were great for their price and I agree with Joker that their strongest thing in them is the bass.

Seems like the TiTans might share hardware with the Ink'd buds - specsheets look identical to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Props for coping with just these IEMs for days.

Thanks. It was all in the spirit of the community, but I was cursing head-fi the entire week both for giving me a reason to subject myself to this experiment and for making me so sensitive to the inadequacies of reasonably-priced headphones.

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #18 of 71
I've made several posts about the Ink'ds in the past. Really, they are not that bad for the price, especially when you can get them in the $5-$10 range. More than $10, mehhhh, I'd pass. But still a fun earphone, I use mine for mowing the lawn.

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #19 of 71
When I joined head-fi in 12/08, I was listening to a set of Ink'd buds. Your review is dead on. One of my teenagers is still listening to them.

Since I've joined head-fi, my wife just rolls her eyes when a UPS truck pulls up out front, or I carry in a package from the mailbox.

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #20 of 71
The way you find right and left on the inked is find the Skull Candy lable where the cables exit from one to two. Face the logo out and you have right and left.

Great review of Inked. There are many low priced headphones, if you can get used to the nonextended high treble end, these are cool to have laying around. I use about three sets of cheep headphones for weight room work-outs and bike rides. If they get broke in two, who cares. To me there is nothing worse than twisting expensive stuff when going crazy in the gym. You have your own body to care for first. So yes, in the world or earbuds, inked has a place.

Call me a lay-down. I paid $19.99 at Best Buy. I could have retuned then quick, that's why I purchased them there.

Aug 28, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #21 of 71
Nice Review
smily_headphones1.gif
lol love the stretch to $20,,,, comon $5 more dollars!!! mayfbfe the tooffff ferrrrryyy will come lol...

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #22 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The way you find right and left on the inked is find the Skull Candy lable where the cables exit from one to two. Face the logo out and you have right and left.

Hmm my buds seem perfectly identical, including the logos (so one logo is always facing out and the other - in
confused_face_2.gif
). I remember looking for any sort of differentiating marker I could use and then giving up and using electrical tape.

Aug 30, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #23 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice Review
smily_headphones1.gif
lol love the stretch to $20,,,, comon $5 more dollars!!! mayfbfe the tooffff ferrrrryyy will come lol...

haha, whenever I ask my friends if they'd want some better buds for maybe $40, they're like, "Dude, my limit's set at 30."
And then they go buy four pairs of colorful shoelaces for $30.

it worries me.

Of course, I don't tell them that.

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #24 of 71
10/10 for writing such a thorough review: I wish i was that good at writing reviews.

3/10 for choice of headphones to review:
But at least you've tried them. Most 'bashers' don't actually know what the heck they're talking about, or have any experience on the headphones they're bashing, they just follow a popular sentiment from others.... who don't know what on earth they're talking about, or have any experience on the headphones they're bashing.

respect!
icon10.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #25 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice Review
smily_headphones1.gif

tongue.gif
. Just for the record, I said stretch to $20 and buy online. Sadly not everyone has that luxury, especially many of our younger members/visitors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
10/10 for writing such a thorough review: I wish i was that good at writing reviews.

3/10 for choice of headphones to review:
But at least you've tried them. Most 'bashers' don't actually know what the heck they're talking about, or have any experience on the headphones they're bashing, they just follow a popular sentiment from others.... who don't know what on earth they're talking about, or have any experience on the headphones they're bashing.

respect!
icon10.gif

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
. As for the choice of earphones, I had quite few to pick from but wanted to do something that hasn't been reviewed into oblivion since I don't want to compete with mark, ClieOS, jant79, etc. I thought of starting my own review thread if this one is well-received, so I might just do that.

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #26 of 71
Kinda cool. The review will probably come up on Google and educate some people/non-Head-fiers. I think most reviews are welcome and don't have to be read if not interesting to you. The Ink'd are still relevant and available.

The only reviews that annoy me are both really old/out of date cheap stuff and just plain old and overdone already. If someone posted a review today for the PX100 they should get a clue; enough already/waste of server space. We probably don't need a review of Sansa stock buds or the 6,478th review of the Grado SR60
smile_phones.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #27 of 71
the name logo is in the middle of cord which would be chest level if you had headphones on.

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #28 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kinda cool. The review will probably come up on Google and educate some people/non-Head-fiers.

Thanks. The relatively high google rank of head-fi was originally an ulterior motive for writing this
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If someone posted a review today for the PX100 they should get a clue; enough already/waste of server space. We probably don't need a review of Sansa stock buds or the 6,478th review of the Grado SR60
smile_phones.gif

Aww those were my next three targets. Guess ill have to do DX orange IEMs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the name logo is in the middle of cord which would be chest level if you had headphones on.

Ooh now I see, thanks. Never would've thought of using the logo on the cable split, but I guess that works. Still a PITA though.

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #29 of 71
I'm glad I could rely on Head-Fi for my Ink'd review
biggrin.gif

I had some Skullcandy Smokin Buds sitting in a swag bag from a vendor show a year ago that I just ripped open last night after one of my SE110 buds failed. So mad, loved those. It's a blessing in disguise though because I'm looking at picking up some ES3Xs here in the next month.

Anyway.

I thought these buds were decent compared to the Shures. Between the fit and the acoustics it didn't sound as full as the Shures and the sound certainly wasn't as clear, but listening to electro-acoustic stuff like Mew, the mids sounded okay.

One thing that really put me off was the bass, which seemed very overpowered compared to my Shures. Even messing with the EQ presets on my Zune 30 (typically set to 'Electronic') did little to compress the lows, just the mids and highs that my music thrives on. These IEMs seem ideal for bassheads or people who listen to a lot of hip-hop/rap. The bass really did seem to give life to the percussion, though. Interestingly, most out-of-the-box buds usually (poorly) emphasize mids and short on the lows, this seems to do the opposite, but when it works with the music, the bass is pretty decent.

The lack of stereo designation was off-putting and the heads feel like small, flaky ice cream cones compared to the firm plastic of the SE110s. The medium tips fit my ears well, but I found it weird that they would invert when I pulled the buds out sometimes. They didn't fit well enough to totally seal out noise, but they worked much better than the Bose In-Ears.

For the price, these are great buds, but ugh, that bass.

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #30 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad I could rely on Head-Fi for my Ink'd review
biggrin.gif

I had some Skullcandy Smokin Buds sitting in a swag bag from a vendor show a year ago that I just ripped open last night after one of my SE110 buds failed.

[...]

For the price, these are great buds, but ugh, that bass.

The Smokin' have a different driver from the Ink'ds. I didn't think the bass particularly excessive on the Ink'd, but it seems they are pretty similar to your impression of the Smokin' otherwise. I hate to think that Skullcandy has a "house sound", but this may be it. Strong bass with mediocrity everywhere else. Ok for $10-$15. Not so nice at the $70 MSRP of the FMJ or the $100 Holua.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back