SkullCandy Gaming PLYR 1 Wireless Mic Headset
Nov 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #31 of 75
  Do you mean just for the mic input right? For audio output, are you connected to optical or 3.5mm?

Optical. There is no need for any analogue cables anywhere in this setup.
Like I said--only 2 cables needed, TOSlink and USB. That's literally all there is.

Quote:
  Little confused by this statement. Based on WuLFiE's account, seems like he is getting 7.1 via the optical output. I presume the TOSlink is just outputting unprocessed (stereo?) audio since his sound card is not Dolby surround compliant. Am I misinterpreting what you said? Or does the PLYR1 also virtualize surround sound from stereo? 

TOSlink/optical is how audio is being sent to the base station, whether that audio 2.0 or 7.1 is another question. WuLFiE must be getting stereo I guess, because I had a Realtek before and I got my sound card specifically so that I could have 7.1 sound.
Here's what my sound card settings can look like:

See? I can set 2, 4, 6, or 8 channels output, and it will send that data over SPDIF Out to the base station. PLYR1 doesn't care whether it's real surround sound or not, it can handle the sound. Of course, if you're sending 2.0 or 2.1 audio to the base station, you're not maximising the use of the PLYR1...

I suppose this also answers your last question: can the PLYR1 virtualise surround from stereo? Yes. Again, this is not what the PLYR1 was really built for (to adapt real surround sound for stereo headphones), but it's possible.
Think of it like this:
When you take a photo with a digital camera--the small, compact ones--you can zoom in up to about 3x right? Beyond that you can use digital zoom. That's not real zoom, because the lens can only physically zoom you in 3x. Digital is the camera's on-board computer trying to guesstimate what it cannot see, and fill in that info into the picture. But it's a digital fill; ultimately it will get something wrong, because the data just isn't there. Virtualising surround from stereo is similar; you can't fill in the missing data with 100% accuracy, because the data is, well, missing.

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #32 of 75
Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation and the picture detailing your setup!!
bigsmile_face.gif
 Looks like you're using the Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card. I guess considering the price of the PLYR1, it's worth it to spend the extra 40 bucks on the Xonar. 

I'm just a little concerned about the number of audio devices, and the potential for driver/software conflict... Since I'm using HDMI audio out for the montior, analogue speaker and mic output, bluetooth headset, webcam mic, and I want to add Rocksmith 2014 to that mix (via USB and have some bugs right now... and incidentally doesn't work with USB headsets). I'm a little apprehensive about adding another audio device... I imagine you have multiple audio devices as well so has windows handled all these devices gracefully? 

Oh, and did the PLYR come with TOSLink and/or 3.5mm male to male cables?

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #33 of 75
  Looks like you're using the Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card. 

Uh no, I'm using a DX. It says so right there in the screenshot: "Xonar DX Audio Center".

I think you're overthinking things. Many people output to monitor + webcam + speakers without any issue. I've got a monitor on DVI, speakers on analogue, headphone out on analogue (front panel), PLYR 1 using USB for power + mic, PLYR 1 using TOSlink for audio. Why would there be any problems?

IMO most problems are due to makers of individual parts not getting their firm/software sorted out, e.g. gaming mice software being buggy.

I think the PLYR1 came with 2x USB (1 for charging headset, 1 for connecting base station to PC) and TOSLink.

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #36 of 75

Uh no, I'm using a DX. It says so right there in the screenshot: "Xonar DX Audio Center".

I think you're overthinking things. Many people output to monitor + webcam + speakers without any issue. I've got a monitor on DVI, speakers on analogue, headphone out on analogue (front panel), PLYR 1 using USB for power + mic, PLYR 1 using TOSlink for audio. Why would there be any problems?

IMO most problems are due to makers of individual parts not getting their firm/software sorted out, e.g. gaming mice software being buggy.

I think the PLYR1 came with 2x USB (1 for charging headset, 1 for connecting base station to PC) and TOSLink.

Oh, I thought the DX was just the name of the software. My bad. Anyways, I think you're right about me over thinking the situation. Probably because I have multiple Network devices, including multiple VPN, LAN's etc. and certain software occasionally have issues with this. Thanks again for all your help Eric. Much appreciated!

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #37 of 75
  Have anyone of you used a G930 before? I'm split on either the G930 or the PLYR1/2 but the price difference is making me lean pretty heavily towards G930.

I had the same question hfsealer. Especially considering the price of PLYR1 + (in my case) Asus Xonar U3 sound card with tax and shipping would cost around $200 from newegg and G930 is $70 on amazon right now. But I think 3 things differentiate these devices for me.

1. PLYR1 is PS3/4, Xbox 360 (not sure about One) compatible. So if you have a console, you don't have to get another headset.
2. Given that several members of head-fi praised PLYR1/SLYR1 for their sound quality. Even though I haven't auditioned either of the 2 yet, I'm willing to bet the PLYR has superior sound quality.
3. PLYR has additional 3.5mm input so you can connect say your PS3/4 and TV or PC and Laptop to it simultaneously. 

I haven't ruled out the G930 yet as the price point is rather attractive plus I've owned many Logitech devices and have had good experiences with them. Think I need to pop in to Best Buy and see if I'm able to try these 2 out before deciding. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #38 of 75
  I had the same question hfsealer. Especially considering the price of PLYR1 + (in my case) Asus Xonar U3 sound card with tax and shipping would cost around $200 from newegg and G930 is $70 on amazon right now. But I think 3 things differentiate these devices for me.

1. PLYR1 is PS3/4, Xbox 360 (not sure about One) compatible. So if you have a console, you don't have to get another headset.
2. Given that several members of head-fi praised PLYR1/SLYR1 for their sound quality. Even though I haven't auditioned either of the 2 yet, I'm willing to bet the PLYR has superior sound quality.
3. PLYR has additional 3.5mm input so you can connect say your PS3/4 and TV or PC and Laptop to it simultaneously. 

I haven't ruled out the G930 yet as the price point is rather attractive plus I've owned many Logitech devices and have had good experiences with them. Think I need to pop in to Best Buy and see if I'm able to try these 2 out before deciding. 

Yeah number 1 is a really good point but the problem with me is that my PC is not close to my xbox so I would still have to move things around each time I wanted to play a game with the xbox vs my pc so that really kills a lot of its benefits. Head-fi has praised PLYR1/SLYR (and also indirectly PLYR 2 as it's the same canes just without the awesome converter/stand that PLYR1 provides) but I just haven't really seen any decent reviews of G930 on here. You would think the most popular wireless headset would've at least been looked at by someone like madlust but no...

Literally the only "comparative" review I saw said that G930 was better. http://www.examiner.com/article/review-skullcandy-plyr-1-wireless-surround-sound-headset
Apparently the volume stick is kinda annoying to use. That along with the fact that I KNOW the G930 will fit over my ears but unsure about the PLYR makes it a hard sell for me.

Please do report back if you're able to try out both of these... the G930s are on sale again...

Dec 2, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #39 of 75
Hi hfsealer,

I ended up spending my budget on a pair of Audioengine A2+. Have to put off the headset purchase till next year unfortunately. But it would be great to hear your feedback on either headset if you pull the trigger!

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #40 of 75
I've actually talked to a guy who owned both. IMO the price difference isn't really worth it. The sound quality of PLYR is better (but not two times better) but build quality of G930 is better than the PLYR. Also the G930 is pretty much guaranteed to fit over your ear while the PLYR really depends on the size of your ear. And lets not forget logitech's 2 year warranty versus skullcandy's 1 year.

These things combined with the fact that the tight fit of the PLYR would hurt me (I wear glasses) and that I don't own a sound card made buying the G930 @ $70 over PLYR1 @ $150 fairly easy. Even though the PLYR1 had a $30 newegg giftcard.

The PLYR2 wasn't really a choice for me since it it would've been just like G930 sans the build-quality and the 7.1 surround.

Finally, if my PC were in the same room (or even the same state) as my xbox I may have bought the PLYR1 but the way things are now, price difference just isn't worth it. If money isn't an issue and you have a small head and ears or if you want headphone-esq sound quality out of a headset then PLYR1 might do it for you. If, however, you are like me, G930 makes more sense... well MADE more sense since the sale is over for now. I do look forward to skullcandy's next revision of PLYRs if they ever end up making one (something logitech has yet to do...).

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #41 of 75
Thank you for sharing the info hfsealer and excellent points. Please do post about your impression of the G930 should you get them. It would be great to get the opinion of a fellow head-fi'er regarding them. 

I think my ears are average size although my head is kind of large. LOL. I'm a bit surprised to learn that G930 has better build quality than PLYR1. I was thinking they would be on-par. Oh well, there may be more choices in the months to come so let's wait and see. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #42 of 75
Has anyone tried to use an optical out from a Home Theater receiver to this?  I listen to the PS3 through home theater setup and would like to be able to use headphones for other applications like DTV.  Would this work ? PS3/etc -> HDMI out -> receiver -> digital out -> Headphone transmitter -> headphones.

Thanks for any help or input!

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #43 of 75
webdd: just guessing here, but I think that would work. Like, in terms of connections that definitely works out; what we need to verify is whether the receiver can output an unprocessed surround sound "feed", so that the PLYR1 base station can handle that processing for its headset.

Dec 3, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #44 of 75
Thanks, Eric.  Unfortunately, it looks like I don't have a digital audio output jack on my receiver (Yamaha RX-V673).  Just HDMI outs and analog audio out. I do however have a digital out on my DTV DVR unit (HR34-700, Genie).  I ordered a set that should get here in a week or so (free ship).  I'll report back once I have a chance to test things out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back