SkullCandy Gaming PLYR 1 Wireless Mic Headset
Aug 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

lxxl

100+ Head-Fier
I was looking to find a wireless headset for my computer, while I was reading up, I bumped into Jude Mansilla's 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying
Guide, and saw SkullCandy Gaming PLYR 1.

I gave it a try, expecting wireless would be poor, but to my surprise, it is actually quite good. so I bought a pair and now I am test driving it.

It is not anything godly like a HD800, but for something wireless at this price ($180), for me, it is very good, not to mention it has a mic which is great for your gaming needs.

There weren't many threads about this headset, thought I'd start one for those might be interested a decent wireless gaming headset.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 75
Chiming in because I just got one for myself. Yeah it sounds quite decent--surprisingly, I think I like the Bass Mode EQ best, because the other 2 sound a bit tinny.

Edit: Oh hey, I have a Beyer 880 too. The Plyr 1 comfort gets a lot of praise on professional reviews, but it's very hard to think of it as "super comfortable" right out of the box, especially with the Beyer as my frame of reference.

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 75
mine is still in the testing/burning in, listening to precision mode atm. skullcandy really came a long way since they started. and yes it's comfortable 3 hours on my ears so far.

yes beyer DT880 is way more comfortable, it's semi open so air can get in, but you can't walk around with the beyer heh.

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 75
Comfort still taking some getting used to, but to be fair I haven't been playing extended sessions on these. Also wary of stretching them too much, unlike my other headphones.

lxxl: do you game on Xbox? The audio was cutting in and out every now and then on me. 

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 75
I use it for my PC.

audio has been great, I haven't noticed any cutting in and out. 2.4ghz for wireless can get interfere perhaps?

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 75
Yeah, maybe. My router is on a shelf above my Xbox, but the PLYR 1's base unit is actually a good 2 feet below the Xbox. But...ya maybe it is interference. 
No biggie though.

Aug 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 75
with extended testing on these... comfort level start to fall after a few hours, the ear cups can definitely be a little bigger, perhaps I have big ears.

but the sounds are great from these, and it seems to built well, better then most of the wireless headsets I have seen.

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 75
For PC setup, is the mic dependent on USB connection? I've got my PLYR 1 powered by my Xbox's USB but the SPDIF connected to my PC--I can hear fine, but the mic doesn't seem to pick up anything. 

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 75
Yes mic is thru USB, also low quality audio can come thru USB as well, just be sure to select optical for digital audio in for the PC.

Audio can also come thru aux in at the same time.

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 75
howdy. posted in the summer guide thread but didn't really get a response.

Do you guys have any experience with the higher priced "big brother" Astros or other "high-end" or similarly priced gaming headsets from TB or Tritton? How is the sound quality compare to the PLYR 1? I know the audiophiles on this site generally look down upon those gaming headsets as having poor SQ and go from a headphones + mic combo. :)

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #13 of 75
  Thanks, I have mic in now. It's weirdly soft though.
I'll have to test with Xbox to ensure that it's not the mic itself that's giving problems.

My mic is crazy quiet too with these. Is there a way to make the volume go through the mic in jack instead of through USB with these?

if you got a USB to 3.5mm jack converter, would this work? As there is another USB port in the back of the 'station'.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #14 of 75
Well my friends told me they could hear me just fine on PC, so I'm not fussed about it any more. I have the mic volume (system settings) set to max, and I angle the mic a little above my mouth so I don't blast my friends' ears with noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back